Special Treat from KingsIslandOnline

coaster_junky

I dare anyone to find a commercial more annoying than this one:

The commericals for American Freight are much, much worse than the Allgood commercials. On the American Freight ads, the guy is YELLING through the whole thing. If I have the remote in my hand when it comes on, I always hit "Mute". Yelling at me to come to your store does not work for me. But GatorGirl loves it when I imitate the guy.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that CF is using that commercial chainwide.Here's one for Kings Dominion.

Hahhaha! I love the children who can't be more than 11 bouncing around smiling and holding a sign touting "305 feet tall," completely unaware that, should they ride it, they'd likely be unconscious by the second hill! :P

No more fun and only?

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsIslandOnline#p/u/0/Sosse2NOD60

The Diamondback video says Ride on

Does anyone else get the feeling that they're having trouble not only coming up with a tagline, but with a core demographic? The Where Else thing never really caught on. Ride On seems to be the new thing for teens. But change the channel and you hear "The Fun and Only!" with kids bopping around and dancing... I understand that there's not a real good way to target both groups, but at what point is there a completely different, completely unrelated commercial for every single age group?

"Kings Island! The rides are too fast for someone my age - So I just ride the train!" Someone put that to a melody and I'll be impressed.

No more fun and only?

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsIslandOnline#p/u/0/Sosse2NOD60

The Diamondback video says Ride on

Does anyone else get the feeling that they're having trouble not only coming up with a tagline, but with a core demographic? The Where Else thing never really caught on. Ride On seems to be the new thing for teens. But change the channel and you hear "The Fun and Only!" with kids bopping around and dancing... I understand that there's not a real good way to target both groups, but at what point is there a completely different, completely unrelated commercial for every single age group?

"Kings Island! The rides are too fast for someone my age - So I just ride the train!" Someone put that to a melody and I'll be impressed.

Or, it's totally intentional, using the "Ride On" tagline to market to teens / young adults, and the "FUN and Only" tagline to market to families. Look at it like this:

When Ford wants to sell a car, let's say a Fusion, they tag the comemrical with their "Drive One" tagline. When they want to sell a Truck or SUV (for the sake of the argument we'll say an F150), they tag the ad with their "Built Ford Tough" tagline. That's 2 completely different slogans being used to push products from the same company.

Now, let's equate those 2 different models / products (Fusion vs. F150) with two different "products" sold by Kings Island: Family Fun and Thrills. The two products in both cases appeal to 2 totally different groups of people (Fusion buyers vs. F150 buyers, those seeking "family fun" vs those seeking "thrills"). It makes perfect sense to market things this way. In order to effectively market something, you need to completely understand exactly what you're selling. Kings Island doesn't just sell one product, they sell several different experiences. And they're both way better than "Where Else?"

Great thread. Love KI's old videos and Shaggy's comments. Seems they haven't released any new ones in a little while. Most likely because they are pretty busy. I would hope to see Top Gun or The Beastie POVs as well. I'm sure it's been some work to get these though, since in 1995 they probably weren't recorded onto digital media. I also wish they had sound, but again most of it would probably be just the loud wind noise.

King Cobra was definitely a great addition to the KI line up of coasters. I miss watching the dispatch operator working from the control booth stationed above the track in front of you. I'm sure it was probably a pain to do things up there, but you don't see station design like that anymore. KC had so much floater air. I recall not touching the floor on just about every hill. A stand-up that ends with some trick track and a triple down! Reminds me how bored I am of how all the B&M loopers that end with some curves and flatspins.

I dare anyone to find a commercial more annoying than this one:

The commericals for American Freight are much, much worse than the Allgood commercials. On the American Freight ads, the guy is YELLING through the whole thing. If I have the remote in my hand when it comes on, I always hit "Mute". Yelling at me to come to your store does not work for me. But GatorGirl loves it when I imitate the guy.

I've seen those as well. I still think the Allgood ads are more annoying, especially when they claim to "save you a lot of money", but the sample terms they show result in you paying back nearly twice what you borrowed...

Can't KI put together a Yearbook Video of some sort that covers the past thirty years? I'm always interested in the history of amusement parks. Shoot, there is one on PBS that plays every Summer about the "old" parks from California to New York. I believe we have enough history and support that one should be made for us! Who doesn't like watching those shows on cable tv about them? I even watch where they find the finest made hot dogs in America...so there has to be more interest than just mine.wink.gif

^From the sound of it, you may have missed this topic. Nate Byrum from CET put together a great series of videos on the history of Kings Island called "Riding History to the Limits".

For a direct link to the videos, click here.

P.S. I love that PBS show too, "Great Old Amusement Parks". I watch it every time it's on. I didn't realize it was on dvd until I just searched it to find out the name of the program. I think I now have a "suggestion" for a Father's Day gift for me! biggrin.gif