Diamondback Web-Cam Idea

glennpc

The Diamondback web-cam currently cycles through at least half-a-dozen different angles - all of DB. Now that the new ride excitement of DB's inaugural season is over, (the DB blog hasn't been updated in five months), I'd like to see something different. I think they should keep the wide shot of DB, (pictured below), and re-align the rest of the angles to point at different areas of the park. What does everyone else think? What would you like to see on the web-cam?

DiamonbackWideShot.jpg

I would like to see a close up of the line. That would be cool, but idiots may fool with it....

If they would have a camera up close in the line it's not like they would have those "idiots" on tape :P

But I do remember The Diamondback webcam on Vortex a few weeks before opening day showing it's new paint job and I also remember it showing The Racer.

I would like to see a close up of the line. That would be cool, but idiots may fool with it....

If they would have a camera up close in the line it's not like they would have those "idiots" on tape :P

But I do remember The Diamondback webcam on Vortex a few weeks before opening day showing it's new paint job and I also remember it showing The Racer.

Yes Yes I remember that too, it just gets a little bit boring looking at DB 24-7. ( No offense Diamondback)

if i remember correctly, they experimented with different angles sometime last year, but in almost every angle showing off something other than Diamondback, you could see the Eiffel Tower blocking part of the shot.

I wonder if the web-cam could be moved to a slightly different position on the tower so that it has a clear view of more of the park?

What would you like to see on the web-cam?

Easy. There are only two good reasons to watch the webcam as it stands: to see how long the DB line is and see if it's raining up at KI. There are only two shots of the DB line, but it's immensely helpful during the summer to figure whether to head to KI or not. Long line = no go.

I'd still like to get them to do a Top Thrill Dragster-type cam at the top of the Eiffel Tower that shows how busy the parking lot is. I use the information from that cam to gather whether Cedar Point is busy during a particular week in the first month of their season when crowds are usually much lower.

But judging how busy the park is absed on the Diamondback line from the webcam can be misleading. Because it doesn`t show what the lines are like in other areas of the park. And there are unforeseen things that can result in a temporary influx of people into Diamondbacks line. Case in point. If Firehawk closes due to a mechanical issue, Flight of Fear will see a huge influx into its line from people leaving Firehawks line.

And the park wants people to visit regardless of the size of the crowd. The more people that are in the park, the better chance the park has of making more money. Why would they want to show something that would deter people from visiting on a particular day?

^^I understand all of that. I would simply call into question why Cedar Point is still running their Dragster cam after all this time. If CP management types really thought that the cam (and the view of the parking lot that comes with the Dragster cam) had a negative impact on attendance I'm pretty sure that they would have taken it down or at the very least changed the view. I live almost four hours from Cedar Point and I use it to judge if I'm going to take an impromptu trip the next day. I'd imagine that many people who live much closer to CP would definitely use that view to judge how many cars are in the lot and therefore make a trip at the end of the day. The average person who watches that cam regularly is not a person that goes to CP once a year and is planning a trip in mid-July.

At the end of the day I'd bet that such a small percentage of the people who attend Kings Island even know that a Diamondback webcam exists. I'm willing to venture that the people who are aware of the webcam are probably looking at the cam for the reasons I mentioned earlier. A big church group, even if they knew about the cam, is simply not going to look at the DB cam, see an hour long line and say "well, we're not going to go to Kings Island because the DB line looks long." It's just a nice tool for those who know how to use it. Having a cam on the Eiffel Tower that shows International Street that also happens to contain a view of the parking lot is no different IMO. It just gives people who know how to use the tool another piece of information, not to mention a nice view about what the front of the park looks like which satisfies the people who look at the cam for aesthetic purposes only.

The average guest to Cedar Point comes from a lot further piece than does the average visitor to Kings Island. One is a destination park...where most visits are planned far in advance, and take place regardless of short term factors like weather, etc. And the average visit is a lot longer. The other has many more season pass holders and visitors who come from the immediate area...who may not visit if the park is very, very busy or the weather is atrocious. You'd think the latter park would have the lower food prices and in park merchandise pricing...or at least have relatively hefty season pass discounts on food and merchandise. You'd think so...but...

You know now that I think abot this a little more I think it would be a cool idea to put it on the oposite side of the tower so you can see the enterance. Just a thought....

I think International Street as one of the views would be cool...

Why would they want to show something that would deter people from visiting on a particular day?

Park web-cams wouldn't be able to help me decide whether or not to visit. I live two hours away, so I leave home before the park opens. The weather can also change quite a bit in the two hours I'm on the road. I have to rely on weather service predictions for the day. For people who live closer and have a season pass they already have your money...

Once you're in the park, if you have a smart phone with web access then multiple web-cam views could help you decide which ride to go for next.