China: Six Dead In Park Accident

Link - The Standard

More info and photos at the link, including a brief description of the ride:

At least nine people - two from Hong Kong - were also injured when the Space Journey, a dome-like, space shuttle simulator plunged 12 meters to the ground with more than 40 people inside.

The dome device offers the thrill of a rocket launch, spinning 360 degrees while going up and down, with a 24-meter wide screen providing space scenes.

The simulated journey was coming to the end of a routine lasting about five minutes when it all went wrong in the Chinese-designed thrill feature.

Joe Lo, a designer at The Standard who rode on the simulator last month, said he thought it dangerous.

He said 48 riders are arranged to sit on a circular simulator four to a row. Then the simulator spins while taking riders up and down to a height of 12 meters.

"It's hot and choking inside," he said. "It seemed that if the machine went haywire it would be very dangerous."

Lo Kok-keung, an engineer from the department of mechanical engineering at Hong Kong Polytechnic University, offered the thought that the accident was caused by "high acceleration due to gravity."

He explained: "The dropping of a simulator can create an extremely high impact force. The machine, which I believe has a weight of five tonnes, could create two times more impact force."

This link takes you to a page about the park. http://en.octeast.com/holidayPlan/know/tea.shtml

Space Journey

By taking an aircraft simulator, you can personally experience the 2G acceleration of gravity in the time of rocket launch. The dome in the diameter of 24 meters vividly reproduces the scenic wonder of the vast universe so that your dream of flying to space appears to come true.

I had breaks go 100% out in rush hour in Milford at the I-275 exit ramp, everything was like in slow motion. The only thing that saved me was because the lights just hesitated that second and I swerved through the traffic, would have been a second later I imagine I wouldn't have been here.

A new breakthrough in the investigation of last week's deadly theme park accident in Shenzhen reveals that one of the ride's four-person compartments broke off from the ride's axis at high-speed and smashed to the ground before being struck by three of the other carts. The information is the first official word as to the cause of the stunning crash that had baffled experts.

The government-organized investigatory team was able to piece together the events of the tragedy that left six people dead and ten injured from data held in the ride's black box, according to Xinhua. Why the cabin came unattached from the main axis of the park's popular Space Journey ride remains unknown.

Authorities have detained 11 people for interrogation about the accident. Equipment operators, managers of equipment suppliers, and maintenance workers are among those held under suspicion of "dereliction of duty," according to the Shenzhen Daily....

http://blogs.wsj.com...t-park-tragedy/