New Tanning Tax Starts Today

No, I am not making this up:

...About 28 million Americans use indoor tanning equipment each year, with about one million visits each day. Those numbers could go down as an added tax makes the price go up.

A tanning bed tax is now in effect, increasing the price by 10 percent....

"Most tanning salons are owned by small business owners, and it's going to really hurt us," says Jeff Magnotti, the owner of Oakland Oasis Tanning Studio. "It just started today, so I'm expecting worse reaction during the next few weeks. It's gonna slow down for a while, then it'll pass. We'll get through it."

Magnotti believes 10 percent is too much, and maybe seven percent would have been a more reasonable starting point. He's exploring spray tanning as another service to make up for the dip in business. There would be no special tax on that.

http://kdka.com/heal....2.1783957.html

I used a tanning bed off and on for nearly 15 years. I have very, very fair skin and red hair. I did it just to keep some sort of pigment to my skin. In addition, I suffer from winter depression and my Doctor actually told me to go to a tanning bed once a week. It definitely helped with the "blahs" and enabled me to avoid getting burned in the summertime (not to mention not being embarassed to go shirtless etc.)

However...

This past spring I saw a dermatologist for some spots that began appearing and giving me concern. (I am quickly approaching 40) I came out unscathed, but was made aware that I will likely battle skin cancer as I age due to my skin tone and years of indoor tanning. (I never over-tanned or got really brown, but it doesn't matter.)

It scares me to death of what I *may* face. I stopped tanning 2 years ago, and although all is good so far, I'd deter anyone from going for the simple fact of what it may bring.

Quite frankly, I see the tax an attempt to deter folks. But I'll be surprised if it makes a difference. There is still too much vanity placed on having a tan, and those with pale skin still feel singled out. Until attitudes toward looks change, people will pay the price.

Shaggy

No, I am not making this up:

...About 28 million Americans use indoor tanning equipment each year, with about one million visits each day. Those numbers could go down as an added tax makes the price go up.

A tanning bed tax is now in effect, increasing the price by 10 percent....

"Most tanning salons are owned by small business owners, and it's going to really hurt us," says Jeff Magnotti, the owner of Oakland Oasis Tanning Studio. "It just started today, so I'm expecting worse reaction during the next few weeks. It's gonna slow down for a while, then it'll pass. We'll get through it."

Magnotti believes 10 percent is too much, and maybe seven percent would have been a more reasonable starting point. He's exploring spray tanning as another service to make up for the dip in business. There would be no special tax on that.

http://kdka.com/heal....2.1783957.html

Terpy, whats this got to do with Other Amusement Parks & Industry News..lol...

Sorry just had to :)

Some people go to tanning places for amusement, which is true. And, in addition, things posted here can be read by the public. People needed to read important words like Shaggy's, which I knew were coming, just not from whom. More than one of us here has had cancer, and nearly died. Others do right now. This is an important issue. And while keeping out of politics, others own amusement businesses and have fought similar taxes, even in Mason, Ohio.

Terp, who knows you were kidding but thought your playful question deserved a serious answer...besides, yesterday the Federal Government began taxing tanning...who says a ride on Delirium is not next?