Walt Disney World: New Park?

so, take this for what it's worth, but this morning i was at my grandpa's house and he was telling me that he has heard a rumor that walt disney world is going to receive a new park. he said that supposively ground has already been broken for the park, but he doesn't know where.

anyway, me and him were talking about the basis of the four current parks there and the only thing we could think of was a "Kings Island" styled park full of world class thrills, an area that disney world is lacking in (not that i really care though, i could live at disney world for the rest of my life and never get tired of it).

so, has anyone else on here heard this rumor? if so, what have you heard, and even if not, what type of park do you see being installed, saying this were to be true.

I believe I saw drawings for several proposed new sections to WDW when I was at the park a few years ago. It was Walt's idea to keep expanding the grounds to include new things as the years went on, much like changes to EPCOT, keeping it fresh. So, this rumor doesn't surprise me in the least.

There's been rumors of a fifth Orlando park since DAK opened. The most plausible rumors in the last few years centered on a more exclusive experience that would be on the order of Discovery Cove, but not focused on sea life. (i.e., limited daily visitors and a $200 or so ticket price.) However, that was before the recession and the recent hard times for the theme park industry. Currently, Disney has announced nothing regarding a new gate in Orlando...and I would be shocked if there was a fifth park within the next decade. (I'd look for a second gate in Hong Kong, or even a water park in Anaheim first...)

If Disney builds a new park in Florida, I'm hoping there will be more original concepts rather than just movie rides. As great as Disney's movie-themed attractions are, there's something special about going into a ride with totally unique characters and stories.

Their will be a new Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World coming in two years. The new area just broke ground.

i was aware of this, but he said that he heard that it would be an actual separate park, like magic kingdom to epcot, but just take it for what it's worth because he's not anyone big in the amusement park industry, he just works at a gear factory in cincinnati, which every now and again makes gears for amusement parks.

Following up on my previous post...like I said--there have been rumors about a 5th Orlando Disney gate for years. Here's actually a link to a story from jimhillmedia.com ( a pretty active Disneyana site) talking about the rumors from 2005...

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2005/11/14/708.aspx

BTW...occupancy rates at Disney resorts are even worse off now than when this article originally ran five years ago (it was pre-recession, after all), so if that was a strike then against a rumored 5th park, you can think that's it's an even bigger hurdle today.

Walt Disney World will probably never have a thrill park. I think they've found their niche - families. And yeah, some families have teenagers, so there are two, maybe three, thrill rides at each of their parks. But look at Magic Kingdom - Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are the only "thrills," and both are no more thrilling that Flying Ace. Disney knows its place in the Orlando market. It would be a tremendous financial and creative undertaking to try to create a "thrill" park to outdo Universal Orlando, or even SeaWorld. Can you imagine a tall, fast coaster with supports jutting out everywhere at a Disney park? No. Because it doesn't happen.

Well, let me rephrase: It does happen. Disney's California Adventure, often considered the laughing stock of the Disney parks family. And what of it? Well, it's currently undergoing its $1.2 billion redo, effectively building the park up from scratch, because it had an unthemed S&S Drop Tower, and an unthemed roller coaster, and unthemed yoyo swings. If you think Disney would make that mistake again, you're wrong. Walt himself started DIsneyland because he was sick of taking his kids to sleazy piers. Why they thought adding a pier-themed area to DCA would be a good idea, I haven't the slightest.

I think that the idea for the proposed "fifth park" that the rumors are floating around about were pretty silly then, and even sillier now. I understand their desire to compete with Discovery Cove - it's a unique, creative, and well-done attraction. But $250+ per person to go to some ultra-exclusive safari park? Most families cannot shell out an additional thousand bucks for one park.

The key word is unthemed. Disney didn't put much effort into DCA. They must have focused too much on DAK. The Busch parks have proved that thrills can work with theme, so why can't Disney do the same thing (of course, after all of the problems mentioned in the article are fixed)?

trying to compare disney with other "regional" parks is like ___________ insert your own joke.

disney has the lock on family resorts and theming. CF did a pretty good job theming Planet Snoopy- but they are not in the same category as Disney in that department. KI is full of "indifferent" employees, with the exception of a precious few.

As for another Disney park- i'm not sure what they could theme it to. Pixar would seem plausible- but that would just be a section to the Hollywood Studios piece.

Also- whoever suggested another "park" to DCA.... having been in Anaheim twice in the last few years- I am not sure where exactly they would put another park.

^ Actually, there has been talk about a third park in CA (what I've heard mentioned most often is a waterpark...most likely a West Coast version of Typhoon Lagoon). However, you're right--the available land is not contiguous to the current property. Most of the "talk" (and, it's nothing more than that at this point, I'd guess) has focused on additional land Disney owns closer to the Anaheim Convention Center (near the intersection of Harbor Blvd & Katella, I believe...)

...........Walt himself started DIsneyland because he was sick of taking his kids to sleazy piers. Why they thought adding a pier-themed area to DCA would be a good idea, I haven't the slightest.

Somehow, I don't think that Walt and Mr. Kinzel would get along.rolleyes.gif

Disney is to family friendly to have a thrill park. But it is something they have been lacking for a really long time now. There most intense ride is probably Rockin' Roller Coaster, and some even say Tower of Terror. But I couldn't see a crazy 230 ft B&M taking over the skyline at any Disney Park. At least for a long time.

I could see a Disney Theme Park with thrills, but somehow I don't see it with Disney World. I see them building a large offsite park in Orlando to compete with Sea World and Universal for Thrill rides. Large coasters would just ruin the scene of Disney for me.

Can you imagine a tall, fast coaster with supports jutting out everywhere at a Disney park? No. Because it doesn't happen.

Disney2015.jpg

that would be crazy if this were true, i mean the castle would be the next tallest thing, and it's highest point wouldn't even reach where the track on the top hat starts going vertical. :P