NJ: DIfficulties Getting Eurobobble Attraction Approved

New Jersey, as I have often pointed out, has some of the most intensive safety regulation in the country. Now, an operator there is having great difficulty getting a EuroBobble attraction approved:

Introducing the Eurobobble. The object of the — what, game? ride? sport? — is to climb inside an inflatable plastic bubble and run around atop a pool of water like a hamster.

Set up on the boardwalk in Asbury Park, Seaside Heights and Wildwood, owner Yaakov Nadler is ready to thrill the masses — if only he could get the state of New Jersey to sign off on it.

On that score, Nadler has run into a roadblock. "They say, "Jump,' and you jump," Nadler said. "And they say, "It's not high enough.' You say, "How high do you want me to jump?' and they say, "You tell us.' "

Eurobobble has gotten caught in New Jersey's red tape, leaving Nadler to spend the summer wading through bureaucracy instead of collecting $10 for each spin around the pool.

The case is unfolding as New Jersey tries to ease its regulatory burdens that the business community says are among the nation's toughest. But the state says it is simply protecting the public, and some business owners agree...

What would happen if he ran out of oxygen? He said there are several hours of air for a four-minute ride. What would happen if the rider panicked? A simple thumbs-up would signal the attendant, trained in CPR, to let them out. What would happen if there was a fire?

"In 5,000 gallons of water?" he said.

http://www.app.com/a...-in-NJ-red-tape

227 pages of regulations for him to comply with in New Jersey...$120,000 spent so far, and still not approved, and the attendant MUST be trained in CPR.

i went not last thursday but the one before to the one at Kings Island. it was not only down, but the pool was drained and there was construction equipment up there. I asked the guy working the nearest game next to it and he said it has only operated a few days because the bubbles dont last very long. My little sister really enjoyed it on her visit 2 weeks ago, but it looks like this will be another short lived attraction.

i went not last thursday but the one before to the one at Kings Island. it was not only down, but the pool was drained and there was construction equipment up there. I asked the guy working the nearest game next to it and he said it has only operated a few days because the bubbles dont last very long. My little sister really enjoyed it on her visit 2 weeks ago, but it looks like this will be another short lived attraction.

They built a roof over the pool.

I have seen it operating almost every time I've been in that end of Coney Mall.

It would be one thing if it gave you the chance to "walk on water." Instead, half the battle is standing up - if you can even manage to do it, you won't be standing for long. If you could stand and walk around and stuff (which I assume was their original theoretical intention) than I might try it once. But the fact that people just try to stand up for about a minute and then just lay there doesn't inspire much confidence.

Even the owner who is trying to install one in New Jersey! From the article I posted the link to:

...He then gave a demonstration one day last week, sitting in the plastic while his manager, Jim O'Hara, pumped the ball full of air and zipped him inside.

Nadler peddled, ran, fell, got up, fell again as pedestrians on the Asbury Park boardwalk stopped, stared and laughed....

$120,000 spent...and even he can't do it.

Not my idea of fun.

The week that euro bobbles opened at KI we saw several people fall and hit their knees or arms on the bottom of the very shallow pool. To me it looked like a liability nightmare. We also saw someone get out soaking wet. I don't know if they opened the bobble or if it leaked. During the summer it wouldn't have been a big deal, but this was early in the season and it was in 50s. Personally I would rather spend my $ on Sling Shot or sky coaster. Of course I would rather be doing those in Wildwood NJ at Morey's Pier during Coastin' by the Ocean ERT.

Not only does the state know it's being quite strict, they are very proud of it. The hoops that amusement parks and carnivals have to jump through there are quite astounding. I have often wondered how Cedar Fair (or Paramount Parks in the past) would do at operating a park like Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. I honestly believe it would be a miracle if the park operated even 2/3 of its rides on any given day until the new ownership learned exactly what is necessary to do business in New Jersey.

Massachusetts, where SFNE is, faces similar challenges, with Congressman Ed Markey calling it home...He is perhaps the industry's biggest foe when it comes to regulation.

Those things seem really dangerous to be honest.

Opening day this season, a girl did some pretty decent damage to her arm/shoulder in those things. She managed to pop her arm out of place or something. I'm talking completely out...like, extra-huge-bump-on-her-shoulder-out-of-place.