Wisc. Dells: 12 Y.O. Girl Seriously Injured

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify, what idiot thought that hand gestures alone would be a good idea?

The hand gestures used on coasters at KI are used in conjunction with appropriate verbal gestures. From the description given in that article, it sounds like hand gestures were the only form of communication.

I am surprised that this park has any visitors following this ordeal, especially since it has been publicly stated that the ride op at fault is still employed by the park, just not at various rides (and even then it sounds like they're doing that only because the judge said he couldn't work at certain rides).

• 4 weeks later...

More on this (note since this was originally written, the family has apparently settled with the park, but not with others). Most importantly, an update on the girl's condition:

http://www.justicenewsflash.com/2010/10/04/miami-injury-lawyers-report-after-thrill-ride-fall-teagan-struggles-to-recover_201010045693.html

• 3 weeks later...

Teagan is going home:

Teagan Marti, a 13-year-old Florida girl, is going home after falling 100 feet from the Terminal Velocity ride at Extreme World in Wisconsin Dells on July 30.

Marti has been recovering in the Jackson Memorial Hospital Rehabilitation Center in Miami hospital for about a month.

Although doctors will not say if Marti will walk again, she is currently using a motorized wheelchair, her parents are hopeful and CBS News reported that the teen has made very fast progress in her recovery....

http://www.mysmartre...ride-going-home

I am just getting to this tragic story for the first time.

How can there not be a fail-safe operating system for this ride?

Putting more detail into what I am saying: coasters use numerous photo eyes and prox switches that "talk" to each other. This means that, an operator cannot advance a train into the station until the station is clear.

It appears to me that there was no safety feature in place to signal the proper placement height for the catch net and simply relied on the judgement of an operator.

That is an epic fail on the manufacturer's part. People make mistakes everyday. If there were numerous safety features such as: 4 prox switches/ interlock switches (one on each support leg) that signaled the top portion of the net in place, and 4 more switches that signaled the bottom portion of the net in place could have easily prevented this.

In a standard ladder diagram, 4 top switches would have to be on to from the "top circut", as well as the 4 bottom switches would need to be on to from a "bottom circut". If one of the switches are not "on" the "drop" button would be useless even if pressed. This would eliminate the human element of making a mistake.

Now if the safety features were somehow "bypassed" (i.e. leaving the switches in the "on" position by taping a piece of metal to the prox switch itself or removing the interlock switch for the moving net device and leaving both switches-male end in female end- interlocked) that is still a manufacturer error as the switches would never have a shut "off" condition still allowing more than one cycle to be completed.

I'm not gonna pretend to know all about the safety features that rides use. I am only going based upon my experince in using safety features in the automated manufactering field- robot loading CNC equipment, conveyors, etc.

I am glad to hear the girl is doing as good as can be expected.

I also hope both the manufacturer & park itself are never allowed to be responsible for a human life again.

Truly is an unfortunate accident and still glad to hear the girl is improving. Hopefully her youth will help her on her road to recovery.

Regarding the park and the ride. Handsignals are great, but typically used with an additional safety features, a green go button pushed by an opp giving the thumbs up or even prox sensor to verify what the opps see visualy. Just amazed at what sounds like a lack of security features on this ride. Like you said tggrr, I will not claim to know all about ride safety features but this screams negligent when it comes to safety features by the ride mfg.

• 4 weeks later...
On "The Early Show" Teagan's mother, Julie, said she blames the ride operator, Charles Carnell, for negligence.

Rodriguez said Carnell has said through his attorney that he's devastated and that he just blanked out and didn't mean any harm.

Julie said, "It's never happened before so I don't understand how he said it could happen. There should have been a failsafe mechanism in place so this could never happen to anyone."

Since the accident, Rodriguez pointed out, the park has put up red tape to prevent other employees from releasing people too soon.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/22/earlyshow/living/parenting/main7078309.shtml

I have SO many issues with this....

Red tape? How does that prevent employees from releasing people too soon?

They really need something like what you have on roller coasters - a co-dispatch system (both employees must push a button to release a rider) and a sensor (prevent release if net isn't in place).

If I ever visit Wisconsin, I'll remember to stay as far away from this place as possible. It amazes me how anyone could be this stupid and negligent. It's a shame we don't have some federal agency that oversees amusement park safety (at least I don't think we do).

No federal agency is in charge of amusement park safety. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has tried to intervene on several occasions, but industry forces have kept regulation local. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends upon one's point of view. See also: New Jersey, California...for instance, as opposed to, say, Florida.

I am in no way in favor of a federal agency handling amusement park safety - while I don't always like state to state differences, there is no reason to get another level involved which would likely move to lowest common denominator.

I do, however, continue to wonder how this ride was designed and/or operated without a safety device that as others have explained would have been fairly cheap. The fact that one still hasn't been installed - I have no words.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If a ride operator is able to be given a felony for a mistake, one that is/ was able to be prevented by safety devices, they deserve more money.

That will only hurt the guest with higher admission costs.

There are no winners here.

I also question the "DNA" reasoning. What is that all about?

Why was this agreed to? Here's why:

...Carnell will continue to help the family anyway he can, Van Wagner said, as the Martis continue a product liability case against the manufacturer of Terminal Velocity, Germany-based Montic....

As part of the plea arrangement, he has agreed to testify about how the ride operated and what safety precautions were there...and as THE ride operator, his testimony will help the family and eventually, at least in theory, make such rides safer...

The prosecutor most definitely took the family's wishes into account during this process.

And many, including potential jurors, would say this gentleman, who no doubt has nightmares about that day, has suffered enough. And he has a felony conviction now.

The DNA? He also probably agreed to never operate an amusement device ever again. And in many states, EVERY felony offender MUST give a DNA sample.

Terp, just sayin'

The DNA? He also probably agreed to never operate an amusement device ever again. And in many states, EVERY felony offender MUST give a DNA sample.

I can only find instances of DNA requirements when it involves a case of a sexual nature- which is COMPLETELY understandable.

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place?

Wisconsin (where the ride was):

http://www.jsonline....n/60116757.html

...Some lawmakers and law enforcement officials have said one problem is that in Wisconsin, DNA is collected after a person is convicted of a felony, not when arrested....

And now the ride operator has been convicted, thus the sample...

Florida:

http://www.newsheral...na-charges.html

Note that in Florida, upon ARREST for a felony charge, the DNA is collected...without the necessity for a conviction.

Many states have such provisions. West Virginia, whose legislature is in session, has a proposed law to do the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Park Sold, New Owners To Reopen, Ride Will Not:

http://www.wiscnews....1cc4c03286.html

Note the sloppy inclusion of backmatter at the end of the article, dating from last summer, but not updated:

...Extreme World closed this summer after then-12-year-old Teagan Marti was dropped 100 feet to the ground on Terminal Velocity. The park hasn't been open since....

Park Sold, New Owners To Reopen, Ride Will Not:

http://www.wiscnews....1cc4c03286.html

Note the sloppy inclusion of backmatter at the end of the article, dating from last summer, but not updated:

...Extreme World closed this summer after then-12-year-old Teagan Marti was dropped 100 feet to the ground on Terminal Velocity. The park hasn't been open since....

One of the many reasons,(most too numerous to place here) newspapers have fallen to their current state.