Cedar Point off-season PTR... sorta.

TombRaiderFTW

Hey guys. I got a chance to go to my second coaster enthusiast event, ACE Northern Ohio's Holiday Party, yesterday. I'm not an ACE member, but the experience seemed like a fun birthday present for myself (as I had a birthday on Black Friday). It's the first time I've ever been inside a park when it's closed, and it was a really neat experience. There's something oddly peaceful and equally interesting about an entirely silent, closed park, and I really hope I get a chance to experience it again sometime soon. (On that note, I'm incredibly bummed I can't make it to GOCC's KI event this weekend... I bet KI is just as interesting in its own way.)

I don't know how I'd write an actual PTR for this since it was just CP's Bryan Edwards leading us around Millennium Force, Maverick, and the Frontier Trail answering questions, with a meal and presentations later at Kalahari, so I'll just share some photos. Enjoy!

Some of my favorites:

6455031577_7dd2e2f73c_b.jpg

Man, I miss Blue Streak.

6455054343_7c1da4ff53_b.jpg

Shot of the lift hill base from under the station. They must have removed the catch car, because I couldn't see it anywhere.

6455048947_2f4d697f4f_b.jpg

Artsy shot of the CP&LE RR.

6455131205_4179b753c3_b.jpg

Short lines today. ;)

6455152627_cb842a9cf9_b.jpg

The ride's final hill, from the side you don't usually see inside the park.

6455173851_cb1f9da242_b.jpg

Under the lift hill.

6455189181_de8d12ef43_b.jpg

Not an angle you usually see if the lift. I thought it was cool, though it would look better with a train, in my opinion.

6455317121_8c3d78382a_b.jpg

Then we walked along the train tracks to Maverick. As you can see, the sky was perfect for picture taking.

6455355539_cece1c9b9f_b.jpg

Maverick's heartline ro--no, wait...

6455217469_22fe255d53_b.jpg

The first drop, which looks, oddly enough, more intense from underneath than from the midway.

6455263759_ec76b3520d_b.jpg

Probably one of my favorite shots of the day. Again, I feel like it could be improved with a train, but c'est la vie. I don't think I could exactly have asked them to send a train. :lol:

6455274243_962edbafa3_b.jpg

6455289379_ba00e7bd41_b.jpg

6455294925_ac0701132e_b.jpg

The world needs more solar flare. Also one of my favorite shots.

6455360493_811397d64c_b.jpg

Bonus round: for ten points, can you name what ride this is?

There are several more pictures to be found on my Flickr, so head that way if you'd like to see more. I've got several more shots of Millennium, Maverick, Snake River Falls, Shoot the Rapids, and the Frontier Trail.

I had a blast. Hearing representatives from CP, Waldameer, Kennywood, and Kalahari was a whole lot more interesting than I'd bargained. I even scored a flag off the lift hill of Ravine Flyer II! (Guess that means I finally have to get around to visiting Waldameer next year... Man, they just had to go and twist my arm like that, didn't they. ;) )

Hope you enjoyed the photos!

• Like 2

Thanks! It is indeed a wonderful thing to experience a park during the off-season. Your photos are wonderful, too.

It's definitely an experience I'll remember. I thought a dead silent park was more likely to seem creepy than anything, but Cedar Point was really serene. And thanks, Terp! :)

Waveswinger!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. How'd you guess? The location?

My experience of being inside a park while it was closed is limited to Kings Island's International Street but that was a cool experience in its own right, I'd love for the opportunity to go through a whole park in the offseason. Anyways, great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing these, always fun to see off season park pics!

Thanks! :)

My experience of being inside a park while it was closed is limited to Kings Island's International Street but that was a cool experience in its own right, I'd love for the opportunity to go through a whole park in the offseason. Anyways, great pictures, thanks for sharing!

I bet IS is pretty cool in its own right... I'm dying to see it someday. And yeah, it would be pretty cool to see an entire park. The ACE tour pretty much stuck to the train tracks from Millennium to Maverick and back, through the Frontier Trail. I'd love to see more of Cedar Point during the off-season in the future. And thanks!

I feel differently about being in a park while it's closed. I'v been to KI more times than I care to share during my 8 years running this site. I used to get excited about seeing the park in rehab and stuff, but now I'd rather not detract from the magic.

I can see why you'd feel that way. If I wasn't as interested as I am in the behind-the-scenes stuff, I'd be the same way. Then again, maybe I'm just in the "excited" stage you were in... Who knows? :lol:

Thanks for sharing the photos...they were a lot of fun! :)

Glad I could share them, and thanks!