Dining at Disney

As you can see in my signature, I have a huge trip to Orlando coming up in August and September. I'll be looking for a lot of tips as we get closer, but right now I want to focus on dining options at Disney World, where I will be from Sept. 3 (Labor Day) to Sept. 9, leaving on the morning on Sept. 10.

I have purchased the Deluxe Dining Plan and would like to make the most of it, but I simply don't know what's available, what the can't-miss places are, etc. I'm willing to try almost anything, but it has to be on the Dining Plan. For those of you who have been to Disney World, what are your recommendations and suggestions? I'm flying blind here and would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

You've probably seen this PDF, but keep it handy! I've never used the Disney Dining Plan, but remember that whatever your plan affords you in terms of how many credits per day. Remember that it does not include gratuity except at a select few restaurants, and remember that you don't need to use each credit you're given each day because they roll over to the next.

Disney World accepts dining reservations an unparalleled 180 days in advance, so if you do plan on dining at "signature" locations or even table service restaurants that accept reservations, you ought to do so soon. (But then again, August and September are typically quieter months, so it's not something to panic over).

Definitely read that pamphlet. It's a confusing system, actually, so I'd keep a note in my phone about what is included with each "quick service" credit vs. a "snack" credit, etc. Also keep in mind that "signature" dining locations and character dining require two table services credits per person, which shouldn't be a real problem with the deluxe plan.

The Sci-Fi Dine In Restaurant is a must (but I might get a reservation there) and the Yak & Yeti Restaurant at Animal Kingdom (the table service one, not the quick service one) is supposedly delicious. You're basically taking a good bet on any of Epcot's World Showcase table service locations, so pick a culture you're not familiar with and try something new. Chances are, it'll be the best _______ food you have outside the actual country itself. Epcot's got a wonderful restaurant in The Land pavilion that's also delicious and serves dishes that include things grown right there in the greenhouses. At the Magic Kingdom, I've heard good things about the Liberty Tree Tavern in New Orleans Square. I know that Main Street's "Plaza Inn Restaurant" in Disneyland is pretty lowly reviewed, but I can't say how that translates to the Floridian park. In that park's Adventureland, you absolutely have to try the Sunshine Terrace - a de-branded version of Disneyland's famous Dole Whip Pineapple hut where the line often stretches fifty people long for pineapple soft serve.

You can at least get restaurant reviews and descriptions at the following links:

The Magic Kingdom

Epcot

Disney's Hollywood Studios

Disney's Animal Kingdom

Muppet and GYK, thanks for the tips so far. I'll look over that stuff over the next few days.

Jonathan, contact Jesse/Avatar...he loves talking Disney and he knows everything! :)

I know. I figure he'll see this and respond before too long. I might poke him on Facebook as well. :)

jcgoble I hope you are hungry the deluxe plan is a lot of food but it is good food. I will try to call you here in a bit to make some suggestions. first thing though 3 sit down meals a day is tough so I would recomend to do one /breakfast/Lunch at a decent sit down place either late breakfast or early lunch then reserve a signature restaurant for that evening. Signature eat up two credits so you would still use 3 credits for that day but used in two meals. The signature places will wow you and be so worth it Not saying do that everyday but if I did deluxe that would be how I would do most days.

• Like 1

Thanks, Jesse. PM me if you need my number, or you can probably get it from Brad if he still has it from Haunt opening night last year. I'm going out for fast food lunch here within the next few minutes, but should be available to talk after about 2:30 today.

Hey, you do know that right now they have had some promotions for free Dining plan included.

We are starting to look at potentially booking a Disney vacation...trying to save up some money (did a price out with meals at a value resort family of 6 w/o transportation was about $3500 including the dining plan - keeping out an eye for when they offer free dining for spring/summer).

So, I am also looking for some pointers (we will have 4 kids ages 9-2)

I always advise people to consider Disneyland Resort, especially on a budget. There are dozens and dozens of value hotels within a 10 minute walk to the parks (clean, friendly, well-kept rooms for $60 / night where you can see Space Mountain out the window). Many have free breakfast (a lifesaver) and fast food lines Harbor Blvd. along the resort's eastern edge. The two parks of Disneyland offer most of Walt Disney World's E-ticket rides, but with cheaper tickets, easier navigation, and a cozy, bright feel. 95 degrees with 70% humidity and daily thunderstorms are replaced with 75, 0% humidity, and cloudless skies all day, every day. And on top of the classics, you get Cars Land, World of Color, updated Fantasmic, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Mickey's Toontown, all of California Adventure's original attractions, etc... It's nearly all of Disney World, just tucked together in two parks instead of four.

The only aspect of that vacation that may prove more expensive is the flight, but it can literally save you thousands to choose Disneyland over Disney World, and many, many, many people prefer the California resort to the Florida one.

GYK, who grew up on Disney World and never could imagine why people went on about the smaller, older sister... And who now won't set foot in Orlando unless Universal is the primary destination!

Even as a multi time visitor to WDW, I have purchased the tourguidemike.com service for ~$20. While it is sometimes a little outdated, there are enough tips and information there to make it money well spent. for example: best days to visit which parks, recommendations on rides, and trip planners.

Sharing a couple of personal thoughts:

- with young kids, take a midday break from the parks. A short rest from the heat can make the late night events much more enjoyable

- consider a day off from the park to visit, wander, and enjoy the area (including Downtown Disney). I spent 1 day with my 3 year old just riding the transportation system around (he loved the buses, boats, monorails, and resorts we visited and it made for a good character brunch day)

- Visit a character meal. My boys enjoyed Cape May and Chef Mickey. Try the food - explore something new on the dining plan. Choose your dining plan carefully - it can be a lot of food.

Hope this helps, enjoy!

I have never purchased a meal plan above "Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining" because I have been told it is just too much food.

I have also been told that "Magic Your Way plus Quick Service Dining" does not really save money & heard to save some $$ to send a care package with snacks/ non-perishable food items to your hotel a day or two prior to your check-in.

I always advise people to consider Disneyland Resort, especially on a budget. There are dozens and dozens of value hotels within a 10 minute walk to the parks (clean, friendly, well-kept rooms for $60 / night where you can see Space Mountain out the window). Many have free breakfast (a lifesaver) and fast food lines Harbor Blvd. along the resort's eastern edge. The two parks of Disneyland offer most of Walt Disney World's E-ticket rides, but with cheaper tickets, easier navigation, and a cozy, bright feel. 95 degrees with 70% humidity and daily thunderstorms are replaced with 75, 0% humidity, and cloudless skies all day, every day. And on top of the classics, you get Cars Land, World of Color, updated Fantasmic, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Mickey's Toontown, all of California Adventure's original attractions, etc... It's nearly all of Disney World, just tucked together in two parks instead of four.

The only aspect of that vacation that may prove more expensive is the flight, but it can literally save you thousands to choose Disneyland over Disney World, and many, many, many people prefer the California resort to the Florida one.

GYK, who grew up on Disney World and never could imagine why people went on about the smaller, older sister... And who now won't set foot in Orlando unless Universal is the primary destination!

I hope to be able to try Disneyland in the future, but the choice of Disney World was made for me, as the whole vacation is tied to a convention in Orlando.

Even as a multi time visitor to WDW, I have purchased the tourguidemike.com service for ~$20. While it is sometimes a little outdated, there are enough tips and information there to make it money well spent. for example: best days to visit which parks, recommendations on rides, and trip planners.

Sharing a couple of personal thoughts:

- with young kids, take a midday break from the parks. A short rest from the heat can make the late night events much more enjoyable

- consider a day off from the park to visit, wander, and enjoy the area (including Downtown Disney). I spent 1 day with my 3 year old just riding the transportation system around (he loved the buses, boats, monorails, and resorts we visited and it made for a good character brunch day)

- Visit a character meal. My boys enjoyed Cape May and Chef Mickey. Try the food - explore something new on the dining plan. Choose your dining plan carefully - it can be a lot of food.

Hope this helps, enjoy!

I will look into tourguidemike.com. As to your other thoughts:

- I'm traveling solo, so young kids are not an issue.

- I'm more of a go-go-go person on vacation who believes that if you're not absolutely exhausted at the end of each day, you didn't have enough fun.

- I'm not sure a character meal would be worth it for me (again, flying solo). I definitely intend to try several new things. I went with the Deluxe so I would have more freedom to do signature dining restaurants while still having enough meals to cover the rest of the trip. As for "a lot of food", I tend to have a big appetite. :P

Since you have the deluxe dining plan, make sure you eat inside the castle. Also make those reservations now so you can do not miss any of these great opportunities.

What do you mean by "inside the castle"? I'm a complete rookie when it comes to Disney World, so I don't know what you mean.

So many awesome places to eat there, but these would be my top picks:

- Le Cellier (Epcot, Canada - get the cheddar cheese soup!)

- Cape May Cafe (Buffet at Beach Club resort - you can get there from Epcot's rear entrance - awesome all you can eat crab legs and more)

- Sci Fi Diner (Disney Studios, more for theme than food)

- Brown Derby (Disney Studios, more for food than theme)

- Crystal Palace (Magic Kingdom, character dining - we love going there for breakfast. You get into the park before it opens, very weird to walk Main Street with basically no one there at all)

- Ohana (Polynesian resort, a monorail ride from MK - very good all you can eat food with a polynesian theme. Like it a lot!)

Places to avoid:

- Tony's (Magic Kingdom)

- Yak & Yeti (Animal Kingdom)

Big question: where are you staying? I left off a lot of resort restaurants, but there are a LOT of good ones.

Feel free to ask more questions, my family goes to WDW all the time (we're actually annual passholders...in Indianapolis of all places!).

California Grill in Contemporary has exceptional food, and great views of MK- especially during the fireworks.

Beware though, it is pricey.

It's covered by the dining plan, so the price would not an issue, but I just checked the reservation system online, and it's already fully booked for the dates of my trip.

I'm getting a lot of suggestions and will start looking into reservations later this week. Which brings me to my next question: given the off-peak dates that I am going, do I really need reservations more than a couple days in advance or at all for regular table-service restaurants (i.e. not classified as signature or character dining)? I don't want to have too much of my vacation planned in detail before I leave.

^ I have found reservations are not necessary, but you are at the mercy of unpredictable crowds.

Given your meal plan includes CG, I would do everything in your power to eat there. It will probably be one of the best restaurants you have ever been to/ will ever go to.

The Bier Garten at Epcot

Liberty Tree Tavern at Magic Kingdom

Brown Derby at MGM studios

1900 Park Fare Grand Floridian Resort

Yachtsmans Steak House at the Yacht Club

These have probably been stated before, but these are the ones that I enjoy at Disney. (Other than the Charlies Steak House or the Rainforest Cafe)

You'll only need reservations at places you want to eat - take the time and do some planning!

Reco's:

- I'll second the Reco for Ohana's

- Jiko at AK lodge

- Flame Tree BBQ in AK

- Tony's Town Square in MK

- Coral Reef in Epcot