Backlot Splashdown

DBInternational

Alrighty folks i've got another question for ya,

Upon my last visit to KI backlot drew my attention. I noticed it had a small dip at the end where it looked like water had once been for a splashdown ending. So I went home and did some digging, I found that on the promo video with the brady bunch and jeff seibert (which was pretty funny) that the animation had water at the end that splashed. So my question is did KI (or PKI) ever have water in the dip and did it ever splash? And do you think they will ever fill it? Cuz honestly its kinda lame.

Thanks,

DBI

The splashdown was actually more of an effect. Unlike Diamondback, the ride didn't have scoops to scoop the water up. It had a sensor or two on the track, that activated pumps to splash water up. It disappeared with the IJ theming in 2010. Why? No one really knows. If one was to speculate, I would say it broke one day and they decided not to fix it and just pitch it.

• Like 1

Actually, funny story about Diamondbacks scoops.

Diamondback came with two different types of scoops, 90 degree scoops and about 65 degree scoops. The scoops they had on the train originally were the 90s so it would shoot the water straight up. But, during testing it got half of the train soaked. They tried the 65 and it worked perfect and they stuck with those.

• Like 3

And just now having the bright idea to check wikipedia i found this little bit about the splashdown: "...splashing down in an L.A. aqueduct, and turning into the ride's station. (As of 2010, Kings Island does no longer have the "L.A. aqueduct" filled with water, hence the splashing effect does not operate)." but it doesn't say why. hmmm.....

Kings Dominion's has worked the last two seasons, but only one side of the fountains works and it remains on awkwardly long after the train passes. Canada's Wonderlands ride is more or less known as the most poorly cared-for version of the ride, so I'd tend to doubt that its works. Search for POV videos of it on Youtube then sort by upload date and watch the most recent if you want to see if it works.

Here's an official promo-video of PKI's Italian Job that shows the splashdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1xUYgLXc4

And just now having the bright idea to check wikipedia i found this little bit about the splashdown: "...splashing down in an L.A. aqueduct, and turning into the ride's station. (As of 2010, Kings Island does no longer have the "L.A. aqueduct" filled with water, hence the splashing effect does not operate)." but it doesn't say why. hmmm.....

There was a draught in L.A. and they wanted to be authentic?

• Like 3

I was of the impression the water effects (or at least the splashdown) went silent in 2009, but at least I learned something! Although, I am confused so as to why they do not fill the splashdown with water anymore? Having a dry concrete pit with water stains and plants growing through the drains is not very pretty. Maybe it's because upkeep was just too much?

Maybe the "it" that broke and was too costly to replace was a filter or pump to keep the water circulating. Ask The Beast how sitting, stagnant water does around a roller coaster.

Not to mention, keeping the water chlorinated Incase a guest happens to get wet.

If memory serves me right, at some point last year, they actually did fill the water area on blsc, but there was no splashdown. Just water in the first basin. It wasn't just rainwater either because you could see the water recirculating. So at least as of last year, that effect could have still been used.