Gold/Platinum Pass Benefits at Kings Island (and other Cedar Fair Parks)

gad198

At Cedar Point if you have a Platinum Pass you will get at least 10% off their hotels. I can tell you Sandcastle Suites is more that that off.

Although there's a 'political answer gotcha' in that. The 10% is off the 'standard rack rate', not off the best rate available. So you're not gonna get 10% off the deal you booked online, but it's there if you can't find any other deal around so it's better 'n nothing.

I understand some of the complaints being cited here. Eating in the park can be expensive, and based on my experience, flashing my Gold Card at the cashier rarely does anything other than leave me frustrated because the food my family purchased isn't eligible for whatever discount is being offered. The posted information is arguably vague at best:

"Food & Merch Discounts: Discount offers on purchases at select locations throughout the park."

One of the best Platinum perks I've gotten was at the Johnsonville brat cart at CP. Purchase a meal-deal, get an extra brat free. That made the price of eating within the park much better than going outside or to the parking lot for my family of 4. :P

• Like 1

At Cedar Point if you have a Platinum Pass you will get at least 10% off their hotels. I can tell you Sandcastle Suites is more that that off.

Although there's a 'political answer gotcha' in that. The 10% is off the 'standard rack rate', not off the best rate available. So you're not gonna get 10% off the deal you booked online, but it's there if you can't find any other deal around so it's better 'n nothing.

The rates vary depending on place. I got $70+ off at Sandcastle Suites.

I've always felt like Plat perks were an afterthought at Kings Island. Why else do we not get plat passholder ride nights? I also think they could make the first 30 mins of ERT each day Plat only then allow gold in at 9:30am like they are now. Give us more reasons to get a plat pass if we frequent KI... I know I feel its value @ CP.

There are tons more Platinum passholders at Cedar Point than at Kings Island so it makes more sense to have different tiers. I'm sure that the ERT and free parking not being included in Cedar Point's regular pass probably prompts many to upgrade to the Platinum, even those who don't travel to other Cedar Fair parks - KI included. I'm not sure how well Cedar Point's season pass model would go over at Kings Island.

To that effect I don't think that a Platinum pass only ERT - particularly in the morning - would be practical at Kings Island. Kings Island's ERT is usually lightly attended as is with passholders - the vast majority of which have Gold passes and not Platinum. I will agree that it would be cool if Kings Island did a Platinum ride night or two during the year, but I would consider that a bonus.

• Like 1

I've always felt like Plat perks were an afterthought at Kings Island. Why else do we not get plat passholder ride nights? I also think they could make the first 30 mins of ERT each day Plat only then allow gold in at 9:30am like they are now. Give us more reasons to get a plat pass if we frequent KI... I know I feel its value @ CP.

There are tons more Platinum passholders at Cedar Point than at Kings Island so it makes more sense to have different tiers. I'm sure that the ERT and free parking not being included in Cedar Point's regular pass probably prompts many to upgrade to the Platinum, even those who don't travel to other Cedar Fair parks - KI included. I'm not sure how well Cedar Point's season pass model would go over at Kings Island.

To that effect I don't think that a Platinum pass only ERT - particularly in the morning - would be practical at Kings Island. Kings Island's ERT is usually lightly attended as is with passholders - the vast majority of which have Gold passes and not Platinum. I will agree that it would be cool if Kings Island did a Platinum ride night or two during the year, but I would consider that a bonus.

Plus, consider the fact that CP does not even have Gold passes. Your options are regular or Platinum. That's it. Many of CP's Platinum perks are equivalent to KI's Gold perks. The Gold pass works well for this market because that's what the public is used to.

• Like 2

We're visiting two other Cedar Fair parks (Canada's Wonderland & CP) this year, and I calculated that it's still cheaper for us to buy one day tickets to these two parks than it is to upgrade our Gold pass to Platinum. So depending on how many times you go to other parks, it may or may not be worth it.

Seems as though you will get the most benefit at KI than the other two parks, because CP, and Canada's Wonderland don't have gold passes, so i wonder how they will justify you having a Gold Pass.

I'm really happy they added DA to Gold- Platinum members for free. I did however spend a crap load more money in the park when we had Fun Perks, I thought they would at least give some sort of discount to us for Fastlane, even if it's just 10%, or a one time 50% off voucher? I don't know if it was just a test run and it will come back, but I know they got a lot more out of my wallet then ever before or now.

• Like 3

IMO 1 Free fastlane per platinum pass per season would be a great perk. Not only that I bet it would sell more fast lanes than they lost giving them out due to platinum passholders seeing how nice it is and buying at least one more time during the season. If one free per pass isn't logical perhaps one free "buy one get one free" per season would be in the fastlane department. Also to address CP not having gold passes they don't need them, and neither do we. What's the point in having 3 teirs on the passes really? KI should have dropped gold passes when CP bought them and migrated gold perks into the platinum teir. That's why we're in the confusing state of affairs we are now with 3 teirs.

• Like 1

IMO 1 Free fastlane per platinum pass per season would be a great perk. Not only that I bet it would sell more fast lanes than they lost giving them out due to platinum passholders seeing how nice it is and buying at least one more time during the season.

I would probably buy a Platinum Pass, if i were to get one FL per CF park lol but thats just me, you may think me greedy but until then i can't see me buying a season pass.

Platinum passes are well worth the price to me because if I go to Cedar Point or any other park that's not Kings Island I go for multiple days not just one. Even the trip I have for Cedar Point this year we are going one full day and then for the next morning before leaving. Ive already got an awesome discount for having a Platinum pass at Sandcastle Suites.

• Like 2

We were planning to head to CW this year, but, have switched that to a trip to Cedar Point. Going to get there Sunday evening June 8th via Detroit (seeing TIgers vs. Red Sox), leave out Weds June 10th. Night rides on Sunday, then Cadillac it around for two more days, staying at Hotel Breakers as well.

Cedar Point having the Platinum Pass benefits on their website allows me to clearly plan my trip, knowing what I get as a passholder.

I can GUESS what by benefits at my home park are, but, cannot see them in writing anywhere.

We're visiting two other Cedar Fair parks (Canada's Wonderland & CP) this year, and I calculated that it's still cheaper for us to buy one day tickets to these two parks than it is to upgrade our Gold pass to Platinum. So depending on how many times you go to other parks, it may or may not be worth it.

Wow - for us (family of 3) it never works to buy day tickets (plus parking each day), but we usually do more than a day at whatever park we go to (we've done KI, CP, Kings Dominion and Carowinds to date). I still think for us the Platinum pass is the best bet - we usually do Halloweekends at CP each year too - but it pays to do the math. (who said you'd never use that from Highschool?!)

• Like 1

Seems as though you will get the most benefit at KI than the other two parks, because CP, and Canada's Wonderland don't have gold passes, so i wonder how they will justify you having a Gold Pass.

I'm not sure what you mean by them justifying me having a Gold pass. I'm going there as a general admission ticket holder, which does not entitle me to any perks they may have for any tier of season passes. I know this, and I'm completely fine with it. There's no way I would try to use my KI Gold pass for any perks at another park. Any perks those parks may have are not worth it to me to justify the additional cost (see my math below).

IMO 1 Free fastlane per platinum pass per season would be a great perk. Not only that I bet it would sell more fast lanes than they lost giving them out due to platinum passholders seeing how nice it is and buying at least one more time during the season. If one free per pass isn't logical perhaps one free "buy one get one free" per season would be in the fastlane department. Also to address CP not having gold passes they don't need them, and neither do we. What's the point in having 3 teirs on the passes really? KI should have dropped gold passes when CP bought them and migrated gold perks into the platinum teir. That's why we're in the confusing state of affairs we are now with 3 teirs.

I wholeheartedly disagree. A HUGE chunk of KI's visitors are season pass holders, and they are resistant to change. I can just imagine the uproar that would happen if they were to discontinue the Gold. "Yes, we realize you paid $70 for your pass last year, but you can have the same perks with our Platinum pass for $192. Oh, I'm sorry you don't like it. Well, there's always the regular season pass for $84, but you don't get the perks, you have to pay for parking each time and it only lets you into the park through Labor Day." Small incremental increases over time are fine and are to be expected, but forcing passholders to pay an additional $100 over what they paid the year before to get the same benefits would absolutely kill their season pass sales.

Wow - for us (family of 3) it never works to buy day tickets (plus parking each day), but we usually do more than a day at whatever park we go to (we've done KI, CP, Kings Dominion and Carowinds to date). I still think for us the Platinum pass is the best bet - we usually do Halloweekends at CP each year too - but it pays to do the math. (who said you'd never use that from Highschool?!)

Multiple days is a great way to get the value out of a Platinum pass, and I agree it certainly does pay to do the math (so you can pay less!), but we're only going to each park one day each. I forget the exact amount we paid for our 2014 Gold Passes, but let's say it was $70 each.

$70 x 3 people = $210

If we bought Platinum passes: $192 x 3 = $576

Tickets to Canada's Wonderland are available for $39.99CAN online, allowing for the exchange rate that's $36.42US. When we go to CP for Halloweekends, we'll only need two tickets since I'll have another form of admission into the park at that time. CP tickets are currently $49.99 online, but we can get CP tickets at AAA for less than that. Unfortunately, AAA doesn't have their 2014 pricing for CP up yet, so I'll use the higher $49.99 rate to illustrate and it will still work out.

CW: $36.42 x 3 = $109.26

CP: $49.99 x 2 = $99.98

So take our totals: $210 KI Gold + $109.26 CW + $99.98 CP = $419.24

$576 Platinum - $419.24 from above = $156.76

Any perks that we might get at CW & CP are not worth the additional $156.76 to us. (I just love figuring out stuff like this!) Mrs. Gator & I were just talking last week that we might go to KD & Carowinds next year. With those two parks plus our yearly CP Halloweekends trip, a Platinum might be worth it... but that's a math problem for another time.

• Like 5

My friend and I used the hell outta our Platinum passes last year. 14 trips to KI and 4 trips to CP. The CP trips were for always 2 1/2 days. We added it up and bought tickets online and then bought parking it would have been around $1200 for us.

The one perk that we used a bunch was the fry deal. Was cheap, $7 and was quick. We took food for lunch and dinner and always grabbed a water when we can. The food in the park at CP is darn good to me and it takes forever to run outta the park to get food and then come back in. At KI we don't have that problem.

For this year 15 trips are in the book for KI, 5 for CP and 1 to KD. Should be a great summer. Will have to add everything up again and see how far ahead I come out this year.

• Like 2

@xgatorhead8904 There's nothing saying that if they dropped gold passes they couldn't add some kind of seasonal parking pass for those customers that wanted free parking but not the perks of getting in all CP parks. One parking pass vs everyone getting a gold pass might actually save the consumer money.

• Like 1

@xgatorhead8904 There's nothing saying that if they dropped gold passes they couldn't add some kind of seasonal parking pass for those customers that wanted free parking but not the perks of getting in all CP parks. One parking pass vs everyone getting a gold pass might actually save the consumer money.

Last time I checked, they actually already have this as an add-on to regular passes. I believe it is $39.99 for a season-long parking pass.

OK- a quick question about season passes- if you have someone over 18 who is getting one, but isn't the buyer, do they need a valid ID or not? I know the buyer needs one- and in this case they do have it. My sister called the park and asked, they said only the buyer needed an ID but also thought it was for a minor (under 17)...

Thanks in advance.

Frankly, if you're an adult, there is no excuse for not carrying a government-issued photo ID on your person at all times. You never know when you may need it. If you don't have a driver license, you can go to the DMV office and get a state identification card. So this really should be a non-issue IMO.

• Like 5

The park's website says "during park hours". Officially, the park is open from noon til 10. Since the ticketing area opens before the rest of the park, I wouldn't be surprised if pass processing is open earlier than that as well.

alright, thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I am so thrilled about the 10% off purchases with the Gold Pass! I never would have realized it they offered that this year if I hadn't read it here. When we went today we bought a pretzel, fries, and a funnel cake (a funnel cake sundae! Ohmygoodness!). All of the cashiers asked if I had a Gold Pass for the discount. For me, this is a million times better than the Fun Perks program.

I didn't realize that Dinosaurs Alive was free with Gold Passes too.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have a platinum pass, but I can't really tell if I get a bigger discount than a gold pass. I would assume not. The gold pass discount seemed to by about $.80 off an $8 purchase. Not really a strong reason to go gold over seasonal. Free parking, ERT and free admission during the Halloween Haunt are reason enough for me. I'd only go platinum if I was expecting to travel to a lot of other parks.

I'm definitely going to CP a few times and might try out one of the other nearby parks, too. KI is my home park, though, and it's quite a trip to everything but CP.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...