SeaWorld Orlando or Busch Gardens Tampa?

My family is taking a trip to the Orlando area in July and I want to visit either SeaWorld or Busch Gardens. Which would you recommend? Which is the better park that has a good mix of rides and shows/exhibits? My wife doesn't ride, so she likes shows and exhibits to keep her entertained while the rest of us are riding. My kids like to ride and are all over 54 inches.

From the looks of it, SeaWorld is more about shows and exhibits than rides. Is this a correct assumption? Are there enough things to do to keep all of us entertained for the day?

Busch Gardens appears to be more about rides than shows/exhibits; but does appear to have some areas that appear to be like a zoo (which I think my wife would like). Because of this, I'm kind of leaning more towards Busch Gardens at this point.

Both parks have the $65 weekday ticket deal right now and that is very attractive for me (since I will be buying 5 tickets). I would like to visit Universal some day but the $96 ticket is keeping me from it at this point.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback.

• Like 1

Busch Gardens Tampa is my favorite park. There aren't tons of rides strewn everywhere but what they have is generally high quality. Their zoo and theming put this park over the top and I remember their food being pretty decent.

If you enjoy adult beverages you can use the meal deal (unless it's changed in two years) to get half price beers, which is always a plus.

• Like 1

Both parks are sheer quality over quantity, which is wonderful. I would say that Busch Gardens gives you more things to do to build out a full day. SeaWorld has some great rides, too, and plenty of really unique shows.

• Like 4

Both have a good mix of both worlds and in all honestly each deserve a checking out. If its coasters you're more interested in, probably lean to Busch Gardens. From my past experience of visiting them both parks have a lot of animal exhibits that kept me busy well enough but I always lean more to SeaWorld. If you choose SeaWorld prepare yourself for a long line at JTA, I'd suggest looking into the quick queue option for it assuming its similar to FastLane. (never used it for myself cause I don't care about rides when I go to those places).

SeaWorld Orlando is still my favorite park anywhere...oh why must Florida be so icky with humidity?? dang tropics.

Your wife be welcome to hang with me at SeaWorld XD I been able to keep friends busy for a day on just the animal exhibits alone before.

• Like 4

Having just visited both parks this past week, I say your best bet is Busch Gardens. We had an awesome time at SW but they are lacking in the ride department and thrill ride seekers will be bored quick.

Terp has it right, Kumba is a ride that must not be missed. The speed, the inversions, it was amazing. Sadly my headache was in full force by the time I rode it and I only got one ride.

The rides at BGT are all awesome, well minus the horrible Gwazi thing.

That said, Manta @ SeaWorld is also a ride that should not be missed, you will never want to ride Firehawk again.

Buy the tickets for BGT and while you are there purchase the "enjoy a day at SeaWorld" tickets for 40 bucks and visit there the next day. :)

If you love Inversions you are going to be in Heaven. If you just want to go up and down hills via Hypers and Gigas you will be disappointed.

• Like 2

If you just want to go up and down hills via Hypers and Gigas you will be disappointed.

Steel Eel! It'll be my first stop when I get to SeaWorld San Antonio. It might make me feel a tad dizzy but it is a ride I don't see often so I'll still do it. XD

• Like 1

Technically not big enough to be a hyper. When the midcourse is off, it's phenomenal. When it's on, it's mediocre.

Yeah...now considering the quick queue for myself since I'll probably only do it the one time same for Great White and their JTA so I can focus on the shows and exhibits rest of the time.

As I said before, doing both isn't that expensive, if one is smart about it. Each park sells tickets for the other at a very low price. Both parks are well worth the money and offer plenty of rides not available at KI.

If faced with only doing one park, the best choice for the OP's requirements in BGT. We had all of the rides at SeaWorld done within two hours. We did spend all day in the park though due to the shows/exhibits.

However, if your kids do not like "going upside down" you are in trouble either way because both of the big Coasters at SW and 5 out of 6 of them at BGT have inversions. Many of which are multiple. I had to ride all but 2 alone, lol.

• Like 3

Sounds like Busch Gardens Tampa it is. Thanks everyone. My kids like inverted coasters so they should like the rides at BGT.

I think I remember reading or hearing the food prices at BGT are pretty expensive. Is it a reasonable option to leave the park to eat and re-enter? I don't know if BGT even allows re-entry.

• Like 1

And keep an eye on the forecast for tropical systems. A tropical storm or hurricane near the Gulf coast of Florida may cause the park to close for the day, as they did when Isaac moved through in 2012.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

6 out of 5?

Gwazi affected your noggin!

Lol. I only had my phone with me down there, typing anything long winded is a major pain on it.

There are cheap options at BGT, however, one of them is NOT the Smokehouse. The drinks are full strength and way cheaper than KI, to boot.

As for Gwazi, that ride was terrible. Almost missed it because it was down, just stood up to walk away and we heard the Gates Open command. I rode it last and had a terrible headache due to not eating a proper breakfast. This ride nearly killed me, lol. Not surprised that one side is already shut down and there are rumors of the rides upcoming demise. It just does not fit in with the rest of the rides in the park.

• Like 2

As many of said Busch Gardens is the better choice between the two parks and if you must stay in Orlando and not travel down to Tampa I would recommend Animal Kingdom of Sea World. Especially if you only go for the evening party Harambe Nights, which looks amazing.

• Like 1