Platinum Pass Parking

DontWantToWait42mar0

And, in the early days, Cedar Fair tried to change the Paramount Parks season pass program to be more like Cedar Point's. Pass good only at park where purchased. No included parking. It was an abject failure.

They quickly learned the Kings Island market is not the same as Cedar Point's. The same was learned at Carowinds, Kings Dominion, etc.

• Like 3

Not related but, If someone has a handicapped sign on their rear view mirror, do they get a free "upgrade" to preferred parking? This is just something I have always wondered.

There's a large handicap lot next to Premier Parking. You've probably walked through it.
  • Like 2

Not related but, If someone has a handicapped sign on their rear view mirror, do they get a free "upgrade" to preferred parking? This is just something I have always wondered.

Not that I'm aware of. The park has handicapped parking. The preferred lot is not designed for that. Handicapped parking is. The standards are very strict.

• Like 3

Not that I'm aware of. The park has handicapped parking. The preferred lot is not designed for that. Handicapped parking is. The standards are very strict.

Indeed they are. I visited on a crazy busy Saturday during Haunt with my handicap placard in hand, only to find the handicap parking lot was completely full. When we pulled up to the preferred parking booth to ask if we could park there since the handicap lot was full, we were not only turned away, but were turned away rather rudely. Thankfully that was the only rude employee we encountered that day.

• Like 1

Agree, I never really used the Gold Pass parking lot very much back in the day, it was always full. They do need to make some more perks for the Platinum pass other than being able to go to other parks though, going to another park just isn't in my budget (gas, hotel accommodations, etc.)

If it's not in your budget then why pay the extra for a Platinum Pass? A Gold Pass is for 1 park plus it's cheaper thus making it easier on your budget.

^ I get what dtk1376 is saying. The top tier is identical to the middle tier, just with free parking and admission at other Cedar Fair parks. But in your home park, a Platinum Pass looks no different from a Gold Pass (right?).

At Disney Parks, a middle tier [Gold] pass gets you 10% off food and merchandise across the resort, while the higher tier [Platinum] pass gets you 15% off. Something like that is a no-brainer and an incentive to upgrade even if Cedar Point isn't in your future. (I think Kings Island is doing something like this now... years ago, passes did not provide a percentage discount, only odd meal combinations impractical for most of us... Anyone else remember the days of "GOLD PASS EXCLUSIVE: Buy 4 Subway footlongs and 3 bags of chips, get 1 Subway footlong and 2 cookes free with the purchase of a large beverage." :rolleyes:

At Universal Parks, the percentage-discounts mirror Disney's, and the highest tier gets you something like 4 free bottles of water throughout the season and free Express access to attractions after 4 on weekdays. Now, obviously that latter perk wouldn't work at Kings Island necessarily, but remember Kings Dominion's Re-Ride Wednesdays (not sure if KI ever had it) where flashing your Gold Pass let you stay on select coasters for a second ride? Something like that exclusive to Platinum Passes might get people excited to upgrade - again - even if they didn't plan to travel.

And think about this: Would it really kill Cedar Fair's bottom line if Platinum Passes were pre-loaded with a one-day Dining Plan? Platinum Passholders are part of a group that has intrinsically demonstrated a desire for a premium experience and a financial ability to pay for it. They seem the most likely to purchase a Season Dining Plan, right? And in that case, giving them a day for free will 1) incentivize purchasing a Platinum Pass over a Gold Pass and 2) let them see how hassle-free** unlimited dining can be so they consider adding it on to their pass.

The incentive to upgrade from Gold to Platinum now is entirely based upon whether or not you'll visit other parks, which is fine and works! But probably they could build a more dynamic system that does better, and lures in folks who don't anticipate traveling but still want a premium experience at Kings Island all season long.

• Like 4

Bodda, I really like your post, it makes a lot of sense.

I have one thing to say...to the poster that said what is a few hundred more feet? It is A LOT when you are suffering with an injury, it makes a HUGE difference so please try to keep in mind not everyone is in the best physical shape and does have limitations. This is why I was frustrated with the signage at KI, I ended up walking much more than I needed to and I'm still aching and sore and our trip was last week. Yes, I could have gotten a wheelchair. but i'm pretty ashamed to have to use one when I'm the age I am, let's face it people do look and judge, I went through it constantly when I did have a handicap permit, I got the most evil stares from people I think because of my age even though I walk with a limp.

• Like 2

And, in the early days, Cedar Fair tried to change the Paramount Parks season pass program to be more like Cedar Point's. Pass good only at park where purchased. No included parking. It was an abject failure.

They quickly learned the Kings Island market is not the same as Cedar Point's. The same was learned at Carowinds, Kings Dominion, etc.

I remember having to purchase a "Cedar Fair MAXX Pass PLUS" at Geauga Lake to visit Knott's Berry Farm.

Of course, the folks at Knott's had never heard of Geauga Lake or seen a pass from there, and it was a nightmare. At that time, I think it was standard fare to have to visit guest relations where a team member would need to call your home park and verify your identity, then print you off a gratis ticket with a manager's help if you used a MAXX Pass PLUS (and that's IF they believed your pass was valid at all... see the link provided above). It was a wildly ineffective system and was no doubt part of Kinzel's distaste for relying on technology and computer systems (something Cedar Fair is still paying for last I heard, if you can believe it).

And the system they used was nothing short of laughable. A Pass was good at one park, MAXX Passes were good at certain parks, MAXX Pass PLUS at others, and a third tier or maybe add-on included water parks... It was just silly, and clearly based on the local-park model and centered around Cedar Point's pricing dynamic, and it made absolutely no sense to continue to use it when Cedar Fair's property count doubled and traveling between parks became much more logical.

Plus, Paramount's system is intuitive. Regular (or at most parks, Silver), Gold, and Platinum passes. Easy. Aside from the parks themselves, Paramount's infrastructure there might be the biggest benefit Cedar Fair got from the purchase.

• Like 2

^ I get what dtk1376 is saying. The top tier is identical to the middle tier, just with free parking and admission at other Cedar Fair parks. But in your home park, a Platinum Pass looks no different from a Gold Pass (right?).

At Disney Parks, a middle tier [Gold] pass gets you 10% off food and merchandise across the resort, while the higher tier [Platinum] pass gets you 15% off. Something like that is a no-brainer and an incentive to upgrade even if Cedar Point isn't in your future. (I think Kings Island is doing something like this now... years ago, passes did not provide a percentage discount, only odd meal combinations impractical for most of us... Anyone else remember the days of "GOLD PASS EXCLUSIVE: Buy 4 Subway footlongs and 3 bags of chips, get 1 Subway footlong and 2 cookes free with the purchase of a large beverage." :rolleyes:

At Universal Parks, the percentage-discounts mirror Disney's, and the highest tier gets you something like 4 free bottles of water throughout the season and free Express access to attractions after 4 on weekdays. Now, obviously that latter perk wouldn't work at Kings Island necessarily, but remember Kings Dominion's Re-Ride Wednesdays (not sure if KI ever had it) where flashing your Gold Pass let you stay on select coasters for a second ride? Something like that exclusive to Platinum Passes might get people excited to upgrade - again - even if they didn't plan to travel.

And think about this: Would it really kill Cedar Fair's bottom line if Platinum Passes were pre-loaded with a one-day Dining Plan? Platinum Passholders are part of a group that has intrinsically demonstrated a desire for a premium experience and a financial ability to pay for it. They seem the most likely to purchase a Season Dining Plan, right? And in that case, giving them a day for free will 1) incentivize purchasing a Platinum Pass over a Gold Pass and 2) let them see how hassle-free** unlimited dining can be so they consider adding it on to their pass.

The incentive to upgrade from Gold to Platinum now is entirely based upon whether or not you'll visit other parks, which is fine and works! But probably they could build a more dynamic system that does better, and lures in folks who don't anticipate traveling but still want a premium experience at Kings Island all season long.

Kings Island, if memory serves correct, did have re-ride days for those with Gold Passes at one point in time. I made sure to avoid the parks on those days though, even though I had a Gold Pass.

Like I said I would be all for CF offering more pass tiers with more options, but at the same time adding too much could also add a lot of confusion.

• Like 2

^ Viacom had 2 ride Tuesdays and walk on Wendsdays for gold pass holders. The reride seats were in the middle of the train on each coaster.

GYK, the CP model was Regular for just CP, Maxx pass for all parks outside of Ohio and Maxx plus for entry to KI, Geauga Lake and Soak City. Parking pass was an add on for each park you wanted, which some was on the pass and other a windshield sticker. It was quite a confussing system.

Viacom and CBS system also had flaws, free parking at other parks was inconsistant, some parks required a trip to guest services as others did not and some over analyzed the pass like it was a rare commonity. Carowinds was the worst, they only thought Kings Dominion was there only sister park, everytime I went the ticket they gave me said KD season pass comp. Using a Canada's Wonderland pass there was quite an adventure! Also each park level system was different, some had gold, some had silver, some had both gold and silver and Wonderland had only regular.

• Like 2

If I recall, at The Beast station, the arrows indicating which rows were designated for rerides are still there. There was also an overhead metal frame with a sign indicating that the ride was one featuring rerides. It was a nice perk I took advantage of a lot during its time.

This happened at our trip to the Banshee announcement last year.

We were able to get Preferred parking, for free, because we were only there for the Banshee announcement, and they allowed the go ahead, because there was only an hour left in the park anyways. And then we were able to get a preferred spot to watch the announcement, We were able to watch the entire thing with out anything obstructing our view because the security guard allowed us to watch as long as we were out of the way, and we didn't venture too far off.

The only reason I told this, was because it was about the preferred parking thing, so I thought that I could mention pretty much that you can get preferred parking if you're only going to be there for like an hour, or only a half an hour.

The only reason I told this, was because it was about the preferred parking thing, so I thought that I could mention pretty much that you can get preferred parking if you're only going to be there for like an hour, or only a half an hour.

So if I pull into the parking lot at 10 AM, 11 AM and promise the parking attendant "I'll only be here for like, a half hour," I can pretty much get free preferred parking? ;)

• Like 4

I remember having to purchase a "Cedar Fair MAXX Pass PLUS" at Geauga Lake to visit Knott's Berry Farm.

Of course, the folks at Knott's had never heard of Geauga Lake or seen a pass from there, and it was a nightmare. At that time, I think it was standard fare to have to visit guest relations where a team member would need to call your home park and verify your identity, then print you off a gratis ticket with a manager's help if you used a MAXX Pass PLUS (and that's IF they believed your pass was valid at all... see the link provided above). It was a wildly ineffective system and was no doubt part of Kinzel's distaste for relying on technology and computer systems (something Cedar Fair is still paying for last I heard, if you can believe it).

And the system they used was nothing short of laughable. A Pass was good at one park, MAXX Passes were good at certain parks, MAXX Pass PLUS at others, and a third tier or maybe add-on included water parks... It was just silly, and clearly based on the local-park model and centered around Cedar Point's pricing dynamic, and it made absolutely no sense to continue to use it when Cedar Fair's property count doubled and traveling between parks became much more logical.

Plus, Paramount's system is intuitive. Regular (or at most parks, Silver), Gold, and Platinum passes. Easy. Aside from the parks themselves, Paramount's infrastructure there might be the biggest benefit Cedar Fair got from the purchase.

Season('s) pass was good at Kings Island

Maxx Pass was good at any dry park (not incl parking)

Maxx Pass Plus was good at any of their properties including waterparks (not incl parking)

This whole system only lasted a year. It was too complicated and dumb dumb dumb.

When I went to Cedar Point with my Maxx Pass (as we called them at the time) they literally had me sign a box, then the associate had to hand write the 32-or-whatever number bar code number next to it. I literally could have used a 4 year old girl's pass and gotten away with it. This was before the chain-wide installation of Gate Central, the admissions software first seen at Paramount Parks.

• Like 3

No. That tale, as told by them, came later, after they selected the most qualified general manager and vice president in all the world, who only so happened to be The Most Honorable His Excellency Who Must Not Be Questioned and Lord And Ruler of All He Surveyed's son.

I wonder where he is now...