PKD renames their Kiddie Coasters

CoastersRZ

Yep I accept a Kiddy land make-over because well Nick is Kids these days and thats what kids know and love,The Campgrounds however are goin to get relocated and a overpriced lodge will be setting on the site of the campgrounds yes it makes me upset but somethings you can accept and somethings you cant. wink.gif

Wasn't PKI the first park to feature Hannah-Barberra characters? I heard on a Cincinnati radio station this weekend that some HB cartoons were conceived at "Kings Productions" in Cincinnati in the 60's. (I know that the "Kings" name might be coincidental, given that the park was the result of moving Coney ISLAND to KINGS mills.) It seems reasonable, however, that the park would hold on to its HB legacy because of its local significance. Just a thought.

Ok, time to bring out the old history of Kings Island and how it relates to Hanna Barbera.

Taft Broadcasting was a Cincinnati based broadcasting company that was incorporated in July of 1959 when Radio Cincinnati Inc. sold The Times Star to The Cincinnati Post. Taft traces its roots back to August 25th of 1939 when the Times Star newspaper and Radio Cincinnati, headed by Hulbert Taft, Sr. (1877-1959) purchased the WKRC radio station. Radio Cincinnati later built the WKRC television studios in Mt. Auburn. Eventually, Taft Broadcasting would own a number of television and radio stations. In 1964, Taft Broadcasting secured the rights to the popular Hanna Barbara cartoon studios.

Based on the success of Kings Island, Taft executives set out to duplicate the success in Richmond, Virginia. Kings Dominion opened in 1975. In addition to Kings Dominion, Taft entered into a partnership with Top Value Enterprises, a subsidiary of the Kroger Co. in early 1975 to purchase Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina for $16 million. In 1980, the partnership dissolved and Taft became the sole owner of Carowinds. Additionally, Taft built Wonderland outside of Toronto, Canada in 1981. In late 1983, a group of general managers at the Taft parks as well as several vice presidents at Taft Broadcasting led by Nelson Schwab III, purchased the parks. They then formed their own company to manage and own the parks, the Kings Entertainment Company (KECO).

Meanwhile, in 1987, KECO was reorganized as Carl Lindner purchased the majority of the shares of Taft Broadcasting and KECO. KECO now owned 100 percent of the parks, except for Great America. Carl Lindner continued to let KECO operate the parks. However, the parks were rapidly loosing steam and money under Lindner`s direction. So, on July 31, 1992 Paramount Communications purchased KECO, which by this time was comprised of five parks. In 1993, all five parks except for Canada`s Wonderland, were rebranded as Paramount Parks, and now sported the Paramount moniker in front of their names. Wonderland received the Paramount moniker in 1994.

The reason that Paramount Parks are phasing out HB is simple. Their license for HB ends in coming years (somewhere around 2007-2009). Rather than pay to renew it, for character that most children don`t know, they will retheme it to the more popular Nickelodeon characters, which they have the rights to through Viacom. Also, Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle will remain as they will keep the Scooby license as it is still popular. Wuite honestly, I don`t think HB has much of a local connection. Yes, the chracter did add to the park, but they are no longer as popular as they were when the park opened bak in 1972.

I Know kids know the popular HB characters like-Yogi Bear-The Flintstones-Scooby Doo-The Jetsons-Magilla Gorilla and I known they have no clue about JabberJaw-TopCat ect. and as I said before Warner Bros. is giving HB chartacters new life they are making movies based on those characters and cartoons I know kids know the popular HB characters because they are still around in many many ways.

And dont forget CoastersRZ while in Planning stages HB was going to be the theme of Kings Island so there wasnt just going to be a HBL but HB was going to be main theme all over the park.

Yes, I never said that the Hanna Barbera rights were sold off. That is because it gets tricky. When Carl Lindner purchased Taft and KECO, he also assumed control of the rights to Hanna Barbera. Also, Paramount bought KECO and not Taft Broadcasting which was now known as Great American Broadcasting, and then Clear Channel. Some how, and I don`t know the connection, but Time Warner got a hold of the Hanna Barbera rights (hence, the reason why the new Scooby movies are made by Warner Bros.). This is also the reason why Six Flags parks have Hanna Barbera characters. Now, the whole reason for the rumored departure of the characters from the Paramount Parks is also connected to this. Apparantly, when Paramount bought the park, they agreed to a long term license to the Hanna Barbera characters. From what I have heard, this contract will expire in 2007 or 2009. At this point Paramount Parks will no longer have the rights to Hanna Barbera, without renewing the licensing fee, which they will probably not renew. They will however retain the rights to Scooby Doo, since they "bought" a license for Scooby when they bought the ride from Sally, as mentioned earlier in the post. I hoped I made a little bit of sense. I don`t really know the history of Hanna Barbera after Taft Broadasting was sold.

I think we need to work on digging up the history of Hanna-Barbera(Cartoon Network) Studios. I still think Paramount should leave adults with more than Scooby-Doo, just because it is a kiddy area doesn't mean they shouldn't have rides or things for adults to do. Disney works like this. Basically mix our favorite characters with Nicktoons, drop separating them, and make one big area with both sets of cartoons.

No worries man, Warner Bros. bought Hanna-Barbera in the late 90's and now they control the licensing deals thats why you will see new HB & Scooby merch at your local store(s) .I agree and always agreed that Paramount should go the Disney & Universal route and have the Hb characters at there parks for not just kids but adults who still fancy HB its not like kids dont know who those characters are because they do and Cartoon Network is owned by Warner Bros. as is Kids WB.

(minus the anime crap kids watch today)

Heres where Tom makes a stand.

I am an avid Anime fan, and can say that it is NOT crap. The only reason half of it is crap is because it is dubbed wrong, and if you would actually sit down and watch subtitled anime, it is a lot better than what is being released. Anyway, anime is drawn better, and has a better plot than almost all American cartoons. Perfect example: put Spongebob up against any anime. I guarantee you that the anime will win.

Sorry SOB TOM but I agree wit ghost on that topic anime just isnt for me plus the way they are drawn scares the crap outta me whats up with those BIG eyes? Did you say better plot? arent all animes about robots and aliens?( not making fun just asking) I used to like DBZ but then I got bored with it... unsure.gif

No, just the popular ones in the states.

Anime is basically Japanese version of Hollywood. So they are very diverse. For instance, there are series based on real life, like Akage no Anne, Sakuras Diaries. Others are based in the fuedal times, like InuYasha (excellent series, sad to see it end), Rurouni Kenshin (the Dubbed version sucks, watch the subbed version) and some are based on different forms of ninjitsu, like Naruto (it will come to the states one of these days, I just know it.) So to say that its ONLY about robots and aliens is a little extreme.

And for those who have never seen it before, ask around for subbed versions. Most of the subbed (subtitles) versions are much better than the dubbed (English is spoken) versions.

*EDIT* If you really want to see some subbed anime, ask me. I have a ton of it.