Is Avitar a coaster or not?

Vortex

SDATHC runs on a track system and it's not a coaster. But for Avatar we should wait and see the finished project to judge it's type. Also when was Tomb Raider ever considered a coaster? I knew it was debatable about being a dark ride but never heard about it being called a coaster.

Oh, you'd be surprised how many people think tomb raider is a coaster. laugh.gif

Oh, you'd be surprised how many people think tomb raider is a coaster. laugh.gif

What usually confuses people to think it is a roller coaster are the seats outside the enterence to the Queue line. Being that at first look at them they are OTSR and are placed 2 across (even though it is alot more), It gives the impression to people that it is a coaster. Even after they find out it is not a coaster they get even more confused about what the ride is. I like to call it... "A Heavily-Themed-Totally-Immersive-Dark ride-Adventure!!! cool.gif

As for Avatar, I have not gone to RCDB recently but after looking at that thing I would say it's a coaster 150%!!!

I e-mailed RCDB about Avatar and Survivor, and they say that they will not consider a Disko coaster as a coaster.

Well, lets see the facts Uncle Henry...

Does it have footers?

Is it on a track?

Does it have a train?

Does it look like a coaster?

I think I proved my point here, so you see... It cannot in anyway shape or form be a coaster Uncle Henry. rolleyes.gif

The main reason why I think RCDB does not consider it a roller coaster, is because the ride vehicle is powered. Hence, it is not relying on the traditional method of gravity to carry it throughout its course. Whereas on Face Off, a shuttle coaster, uses a chain lift followed by gravity to propel it throuh its course.

I`ve never seen Avatar myself. Come to think of it, I`ve only really seen bits and pieces of Spongebob and Rugrats. I grew up on the classic Nick shows like Doug, and Guts.

The powered hook ups for the car runs the whole length of the track on Avatar. Granted, gravity may do some of the work in certain portions, but the car`s motors are running and connected to power throughout the entire cycle. I`ve never seen one of these rides running before, so I don`t know for sure exactly how they run.

I have a question about the theme of of Avatar.  I have not seen this show so it may be a silly question.  Does the show have anything to do with skateboards?  It seems to me that Rocketpower would have been a better theme for a skateboard ride.

Does anyone have an answer for Coastergirl? I was wondering the same thing. I have 10 year old boys who say they have seen Avatar once or twice and they thought it sucked, and they don't remember any skateboarding in it.

It's the design of the skateboard in the fact that it's more suited for families and younger children than a regular Disko car. The seats face inwards on a Skater car, whereas the seats on a Disko car face outwards.

user posted image

Disko car and seats.

user posted image

Skater car and seats (hard to see).