Calling Kings Island Speculators

KIfan73

but were getting in coordination with the ace convention a Wild mouse coaster

and harkening back to Coney Island Cincinnati days:

It will be called Wild Mouse:

How do you know all of this? We need proof! Besides, the enthusiast community only makes up like one billionth of total visitors every year. Whey would Kings Island install anything for a few enthusiasts? They don't. They install to attract a larger audience.

Yeah, the themed version looks MUCH better than the one with no theme to it. Where exactly did you find that, or is that confidential information?

I only hope that if it is a themed attraction, Cedar Fair won't try to ruin it by de-theming the ride in any way just because they don't like the idea of mixing roller coasters in with special effects and neat theming.

Why is theming so important to anyone?

It adds drastically to the cost of the ride... for what?

I don't think CF is big on theming, since what a ride looks like has very little bearing on what it feels like when you ride it.

^Quitre the contrary, when done correctly, the theme of a ride can make the ride. I dont think you realize how theming is ued on rides and its used pretyt much all rides. Theming can be almost anything. Take the forgotten tiques for example, put them on a concrete slap with nothing around them and its just like driving a regular car, boring. But theme them to the time of the century when the automobile was firs t coming out with a nice themed landscape featuring covered bridges and ponds then you have a nice relaxed setting that makes you feel like your in another time while you ride.

^Quitre the contrary, when done correctly, the theme of a ride can make the ride. I dont think you realize how theming is ued on rides and its used pretyt much all rides. Theming can be almost anything. Take the forgotten tiques for example, put them on a concrete slap with nothing around them and its just like driving a regular car, boring. But theme them to the time of the century when the automobile was firs t coming out with a nice themed landscape featuring covered bridges and ponds then you have a nice relaxed setting that makes you feel like your in another time while you ride.

And then take the same area.

Rip out all signs of vegetation.

Toss some gravel, concrete and steel in and you have Italian Job.

Ohhhh The Humanity!

How could we have sacraficed one of the most beautiful areas of the park to put that ride in!

Why is theming so important to anyone?

It adds drastically to the cost of the ride... for what?

I don't think CF is big on theming, since what a ride looks like has very little bearing on what it feels like when you ride it.

Take a look at Adventure Express. What would it be without theming?Nothing much.

What about Dollywoods new Mystery Mine.....theming is everything to a ride like that.

How about our much missed Phantom Theater. Theming was the whole experience.

How about any of the Disney Parks. Would they be the same without theming? NO.

Theming plays a big part in a THEME park

Ohhhh The Humanity!

How could we have sacraficed one of the most beautiful areas of the park to put that ride in!

Repeat process to all of the park.

Take out almost all of the trees and add concrete walkways and 300-400 foot tall coasters with major downtime to the mix.

Include bad entertainment (excluding the Halloween Haunt at KBF) and high season pass and parking prices.

And what do you get?

....shouldn't be TOO obvious. wink.gif

Ohhhh The Humanity!

Repeat process to all of the park.

Take out almost all of the trees and add concrete walkways and 300-400 foot tall coasters with major downtime to the mix.

Include bad entertainment (excluding the Halloween Haunt at KBF) and high season pass and parking prices.

And what do you get?

....shouldn't be TOO obvious. wink.gif

Let's be honest here. Regardless of what may or may not happen in the future, PKI seems to have an irrepressible spirit. I doubt any large company can destory that... heck, it's almost like CBS tried to this year but couldn't.

Okay, I stand not quite corrected. I was referring specifically to roller coasters. Obviously a ride like Phantom Theater or back when it was Gulliver's would be stupid without theming.

On a roller coaster, however, I believe the theming is wasted in most cases. How many people actually notice on Adventure Express the spears coming out of the holes in the booby trap tunnel, or the snakes hanging in the snake tunnel.

Look at "The Mummy" at Universal... theming MAKES the ride! (For those who don't know, The Mummy is a heavily themed roller coaster)

KI is a THEME park.... not an AMUSEMENT park. CP is an amusement park, go their for dense rides. -Hauntguy

Holiday World is a theme park, America's first, which means they have themed areas, doesn't mean the rides have to be. You won't find much theming throughout Raven, Legend or Voyage; just great rides. KI can be a theme park without each coaster actually being themed.

Well it Kings Island gets a big flat ride next year it will have no theme other than the name of the ride. If this new ride is a water slide I am not sure if they will theme it or not.

Edited by Vortex

Holiday World opened as Santa Claus Land on August 3, 1946.

It's hard to tell exactly when Knotts became a "theme park" according to their historical info on their page. It started out as a farm for growing produce then it says here:

"The success of the chicken dinners was immediate and by 1940 the restaurant was serving as many as 4,000 dinners on Sunday evenings. To give waiting customers something to do and to pay homage to the pioneering spirit of his grandparents and his love of the Old West, Walter developed Ghost Town, eventually the first of Knott's Berry Farm's six themed areas.

In the 1960s, the Calico Mine Ride and Timber Mountain Log Ride were added and Knott's built its second themed area: Fiesta Village, a tribute to California's early Spanish heritage. The third themed area opened in 1975 - Roaring 20s (rethemed in 1996 into The Boardwalk) - featuring the Corkscrew, the world's first looping coaster."

So did it become a theme park in the 1940's because it had a Ghost Town and a restaurant, or in the 1960's when it had more than one themed area and some rides? And if it was in the 1940's, when exactly? It says by 1940 they had a lot of dinners in a restaurant, but then doesn't tell when the Ghost Town was built. I wonder who has the deciding answer.