Ohio Countly WV lands new theme park

WHEELING- Wild rides and water parks are coming to the Wheeling area, along with about 1,000 new jobs.

The first phase of the 100 acre Wild Escape Theme Park could open as early as next July, but that timetable is fairly optimistic given the amount of work that has to be done, Ohio County officials said.

The park is being developed in nearby Dallas by Crystal Mountain LLC of Omaha Neb., said Greg Stewart with the Ohio County Development Authority.

"They came to us because of Cabela's," he said. Cabela's is a Nebraska based company and the two share the same lawyer Stewart said.

Cabela's operates a store and distribution center near Wheeling and the theme park is to be built on land near the store.

A groundbreaking ceremony was held Wednesday after members of the authority agreed to move forward on a $200 million development agreement.

The park would include thrill rides, and indoor and outdoor water park, ongoing entertainment and retail opportunities, said Ohio County Commission President David Sims.

The indoor would be open year-round and is estimated to be bigger than the Mall of America complex in Bloomington, Minn., Commissioner Randy Wharton said.

A 500 to 700 room hotel also is planned.

Officials hope the park will rival that of Kennywood Park, which began business in 1898 as a trolley park in West Mifflin, Pa., and evolved into the Pittsburgh area's leading amusement park.

Well, I think this is good news for West Virginia, even though it is still pretty far away from me.

I would've just copied and pasted the story from the Charelston Gazette's website, but you have to be a member to get into the 14 day archive. Anyways, what do you guys think of this?

I think it is the same, identical plan the same guy had out to Nebraska. Even down to the website.

And I will believe it when I see it.

Not before.

A $200 million theme park in Wheeling, West Virginia?

I think not.

And I hate to think what the place would do to Geauga Lake, Kennywood, Conneaut and even Camden Park if it were to happen.

• Like 2

I think it is the same, identical plan the same guy had out to Nebraska.  Even down to the website.

Not before.

I think not.

And I hate to think what the place would do to Geauga Lake, Kennywood, Conneaut and even Camden Park if it were to happen.

Thats simialar to my thoughts when I first read the story. I mean, what would they do with a 500 to 700 room hotel in Wheeling?

I doubt it would have much effect on Camden park. I think that Wheeling is a little to far away to effect it. I could be wrong, but, thats a lot of money in gas...

I think it is the same, identical plan the same guy had out to Nebraska.  Even down to the website.

Not before.

I think not.

Geauga Lake does buisness with locals mainly, its starting to get tourist back. Kennywood gets people for their classic rides and lots of people from pitt/cle areas. Niether will be affected by a park in WV.

Do you realize where Wheeling is? It is much closer to some of the areas that Geauga and Kennywood draw from than either park is.

Kennywood and Geauga compete against each other for customers, and have for years.

If built (which I doubt it will be), the Wheeling park will hurt both.

I don't know if it really means anything, but according to the article I read, they've already had the groundbreaking ceremony.

Yes I do, but in recent years geauga has mainly gotten locals because its close and cheap. Also, many people have a CP/GL pass and go to both. It could be hurt but not drasticly. The GL vs KW rivaly is new, only couple years old, before Six Flags and CF no one realy knew of the other park.

There was news just like this about a park to be built by the Pittsburgh airport about 3 years ago and it was never built.

I will be going to Kennywood and take some pics on the way by of this place if there is something to see but I bet there is nothing there and never will be.

It would be nice if there was a park put there as it's 1hr from home.

• Like 1

My friend also told me at one time, Six Flags wanted to put a park in Beckley, WV, but they couldn't get the property to build it on.

That old chestnut has been going around for a very long time. As far as I can tell, there's no truth to it.

There was a similar story about Mt. Orab, Ohio!

Note that Six Flags in recent years bought existing parks, they did NOT build from scratch. It's much cheaper to buy someone else's mistakes!

Not the Six Flags that we know today, nor its predecessor companies. The original Six Flags parks of course were, but that was many, many years ago. Neither Magic Mountain, Great Adventure nor [six Flags] Great America were originally Six Flags parks. Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags Over Texas were built as such, but are the "partnership parks," and, to this day, are not fully owned by SIX, the owner of the Six Flags Theme Parks company.

Not before.

I think not.

Geauga Lake does buisness with locals mainly, its starting to get tourist back. Kennywood gets people for their classic rides and lots of people from pitt/cle areas. Niether will be affected by a park in WV.

Others disagree with you, and include not only Kennywood as being affeced but also even Kings Island! See, for instance, Mr. Spiegel of International Theme Park Services (wonder who HE is? laugh.gif )

http://www.news-register.net/News/articles...?articleID=9005

Not Wild About Park’s Feasibility

By MARIO MUSCAR

Ohio County is a “very strange market to plan†a theme park, especially one of the “$200 million variety,†a theme park industry consultant said.

Dennis Spiegel, president of International Theme Park Services in Cincinnati, also noted the local area’s proximity to Kennywood Park near Pittsburgh, Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio, and Paramount’s Kings Island in Cincinnati as factors he believes would be detrimental to any new theme park venture.

“It seems like a very small market for this,†he said.

Last week, Ohio County commissioners announced a plan to build a $200 million theme park at The Highlands called Wild Escape. The park would be a combination indoor/outdoor venture that would be open year-round.

Spiegel, whose company prepares economic and marketing studies that determine the viability of parks in different markets, said it “would be hard for him to speculate (on the feasibility of Wild Escape) without seeing such a study.â€Â

“Until I see a feasibility study, it doesn’t seem realistic,†he said.

Ohio County Commission President David Sims on Tuesday would not comment on Spiegel’s concerns and said Steve Minard, president of Wild Escape Theme Park, is the expert on the situation.

Minard said two feasibility studies for the local area were done more than a year ago.

One study, Minard said, was done by a “related party†and another economic impact study was conducted by an independent, third-party company called the Baker Leisure Group of Orlando, Fla.

The studies “estimated about 2 million people coming through the park each year†and “about $9 billion impact on the local economy over 30 years,†Minard said.

Spiegel, however, said he believes competition between other nearby parks for the same customers would be a problem for Wild Escape.

“Kennywood and Cedar Point have been getting into each other’s markets,†he said.

Any new theme park, Spiegel said, is difficult even in a much bigger market.

He said similar parks such as a $130 million Six Flags in New Orleans have had problems. The park, originally called Jazzland, opened in 2000, was purchased by Six Flags in 2002 and began experiencing economic problems. The park was closed in 2004, he said.

Nick Winslow, former president of the theme park division of Warner Brothers Studios, said he agrees these types of parks are a gamble.

“I think it is nearly impossible to build a commercially successful theme park in the U.S. today in the markets that are available,†Winslow said.

Winslow, who currently works as a consultant to theme/amusement parks, said he has helped to build theme parks in other countries like Germany, but does not build in the United States because “all the quality markets are taken.â€Â

People have high expectations on the rides and attractions of such theme parks, Winslow said, due to what big destination parks in Florida and southern California offer.

“Parks like Universal Orlando and the Disney Parks are destination parks and set the bar high,†he said.

Concern over the surrounding population and the number of people a theme park could potentially bring to the area also are factors that cause concern, Winslow said.

“These things are hard to do near big cities,†he said.

Winslow said 50 percent of the people who live near a theme park can’t or won’t visit.

“That’s the reality,†he said. “They are either too old, don’t have the money, or are not interested.â€Â

Winslow did say there have been great strides in water parks, and Wild Escape is planned to have both an indoor and outdoor water park.

“The one exception is water park resorts,†he said. “Those work very well.â€Â

The indoor portion of Wild Escape also would be economically challenging, Winslow said.

“Indoor parks have been tried for years and most have failed at enormous expense,†he said. “The only place that has worked well is at the Mall of America in Minnesota.â€Â

Maintenance costs of an indoor park are difficult, Winslow added. He said a park can be “killed†by heating, ventilation and air-conditioning costs.

Winslow pointed out three indoor parks that failed at great expense in much bigger markets.

AutoWorld in Flint, Mich., opened in 1984 and went bankrupt and closed within its first year. Power Plant in Baltimore opened in 1985 and closed in 1989. Admiral Park in St. Louis also failed.

“Between $200 million and $250 million was lost on these ventures,†Winslow said.

Winslow also said Wild Escape, at $200 million, does not look financially viable.

“The incremental revenue compared to the incremental expense is negative,†he said.

Section: News Posted: 8/2/2006

^

^

^

I think he just stated the obvious or atleast what most of us thought about the whole idea. Just give him the "I told you so" when this thing goes under because an industry expert like that gets paid to be right.

Honestly who would want to go to Wheeling? There is nothing there except some gambling and dog tracks. Now they might get a theme park of this size. Honestly its West Virgina, majority of people only visit West Virginia because they must drive through it to get somewhere better.

Guest faceoff

I live in the wheeling area and from what i hear, the first phase will be the

outdoor section to be open next summer. The indoor section of the amusement

park may include a launched coaster. I will try to find out more. This new park

may be one reason why kennywood may be adding season passes for the

2007 season. smile.gif

You do realize this exact same proposal, right down to the park maps, has been floated not once but twice before, in Iowa and Nebraska?

This is nothing more but an attempt to get the State of West Virginia to subsidize an investment that would otherwise have zero chance of working. This way, it might have a two percent chance!

There must be some good in this location, they put in Cabelas there and moved a mountain to do it. If you have been in it you know there was a ton of money put in it. Cabelas is a attraction by it's self. There are people driving hundreds of miles just to go there.

It in no way looks like a good place for a park though.

I'd like to see this happen, but I am skeptical too. This would be great since I live in the great state of West Virginia.

Also, once upon a time, Disney had considered a park in WV. So, we're all not a bunch of shoeless hillbillies. rolleyes.gif

I will say from experience in my company that WV works for a "business friendly" environment, but subsidizing this still sounds like a stretch.

Other than the Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach, I really doubt if we're going to see many US parks actually built over the next decade or so...the market is just too mature and saturated. Any company with theme park construction money to invest would be wise to head to India and China...

Interpreter-- Was SF Over Great America (later St. Louis) built by the "classic" SF organization as well? I seem to remember hearing that it followed the construction of SFOT and SFOG, but never really knew the details.

Other than the Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach, I really doubt if we're going to see many US parks actually built over the next decade or so...

Is this park in Myrtle Beach for real?

Well...I guess time will ultimately tell, but they've announced a 2008 opening date, and this park definitely seems to be a lot further along than any of the others announced around the country...

http://www.hrpusa.com/press2.html