Wyandot Lake and Zoo

Well, it's also the new four-lane Rt. 750 (Powell Road) as well... It will be rerouted to run behind the zoo, around the golf course, and meet up with Riverside Dr. on the south side of the zoo. (Instead of the north side as it currently does.) With Powell Road moved, it will make the zoo's land on both sides of the current road contiguous. The newly joined land will eventually become the 50 acre African Savannah.

Also the current parking lot will be going away...it will become a combined new gate area for the two parks, as well as expansion land for Wyandot Lake (or, whatever the zoo decides to call it now...) Basically, the whole existing parking area will be pushed back toward the east.

The columbus zoo will be making some big changes once the rerouting of Powell road is finished. The zoo will become more like Busch Gardens and SeaWorld. Not saying this will happen over night, but over the next few years we will see great changes happen at the zoo. Also just a neat little fact, because of Jack Hanah the Columbus zoo has tremendous backing through private and corporate investment. This is why the zoo has been able to run the Wilds in Zanesville, eventhough that property is still in the red. Quite a unique experience, go if you have never been.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been rumors that the Zoo won't open Wyandot Lake at all next season due to the extent of the rehab that the zoo has planned. So, it sounds like they plan on really improving things...

It was on the news a few weeks ago about how the Zoo's attendance was up significantly this year due to the first phase of "Asia Quest" opening. I will say that they do a first rate job on themeing the new attractions...both "Austraila & the Islands" and "Asia Quest" are first rate. I can't wait to see the African Savannah in a few years!

...well, I kind of doubt that all the media outlets that reported on this back in July were wrong:

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?sto...0613-A1-01.html

Or, that Jerry Boren was lying in the public statements I personally witnessed. My guess is that's old information that has yet to be updated...

I also wonder exactly what SF would auction off? After all, they don't own the land (the Zoo has always owned that) or most of the dry rides... Unless the Zoo ok'd the land lease it's not like another operator could just move in based on SF's say so.

The rumor about the zoo not opening WL next season while they make changes is just that...a rumor.

The popular consensus on Coasterbuzz is that the auction is to sell off some limited rides (i.e., go-karts) and equipment that was not included in the overall sale to the zoo. Both Jerry Boren and Jack Hanna in interviews have said that the zoo plans to add a lot of new stuff to WL. Here's the link to the discussion on Coasterbuzz...

http://www.coasterbuzz.com/forum.aspx?mode...d&TopicID=45836

Again, Six Flags is very limited in what they can sell at this auction... For like the 1000th time, the zoo already owns the land and a good share of the dry rides (including the Sea Dragon). I think it's safe to say that the zoo will be controlling the water/amusement park in future seasons, and I'll bet they'll do a great job.

I feel the zoo needs to take the old slides out and replace them with newer tube slides. I visited this year and the slides were old and stained brown from water. We'll see what goes up for sale in a few months. I hope they have a day pass when they reopen that includes the zoo and water park and I also hope they have a season pass.