New Details On PGA And The Forty-Niners Situation

According to this article, only the parking situation would be affected should the stadium come to Santa Clara:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...al/15977625.htm

The part about the park follows:

.....That process also will include Great America's parent company, Cedar Fair of Sandusky, Ohio. Santa Clara receives $5.3 million in rent from Great America for the park's 113-acre footprint and, as part of the contract, the city must provide roughly 8,100 parking spaces. The location of some of those spaces would have to change if the stadium were built.

Cedar Fair has talked with the 49ers and the city ``on a conceptual level'' and is open to working with both to share parking, said Stacy Frole, the company's director of investor relations.

"The stadium could be a good fit," she said.

The park's season winds down as the NFL's begins. But, Sparacino said, there are about six days each year when football fans and amusement park crowds would compete for the same spaces. The football team plans to use spaces in surrounding office parks as well. .....

Not exactly. What was said is there are about six days each year when football and park fans would compete for parking spaces. Those six days (game days) are no doubt not one right after another, but six different, non-consecutive days. So the park closing six days earlier would not be an option. Moreover, I can see parents letting their older children go to the park while they go the football game. Closing those days would probably not be a very good idea.

I don`t think it will be the same type of situation as the Astrodome and Astroworld. Baseball teams play 81 regular season home games from April through September/early October. That coincides almost directly with amusement parks` operating schedules. That and there are a lot more home games for baseball than there are for football leads me to believe that this will not be a repeat of the problems suffered in Houston. I think, it could actually mean good things for PGA. They will get exposure from all the football fans visiting for the 49ers, and may get some visits from people who make a weekend trip to Santa Clara, going to Great America on Saturday, and the game on Sunday. Not to mention that there would be a chance that any network games might show shots of the park during their telecast. (I know that when ESPN has covered the tennis Masters Series at the Lindner Family Tennis Center across from KI, that they have showed some shots of Kings Island).