Working at KI?

CedarPointer

Honestly, you have to either try or be really really unmotivted individual to not get a job there.

15 year olds can for sure work with food. They are just limited to how many hours and how late they can work... plus other minor things like working with ovens or going in walk-ins. They cannot work with rides.

Definetly dress nice for an interview because that would be my number one pet peeve. Show your interest, KI can always find better associates, plenty of them apply :)

During PKI days (not sure if it's the same) we had 15 y.o.'s working in merchandise.

Just make sure you don't check "willing to work any position" or you'll be in food for sure. I specified merchandise when I first applied. And I can definitely say that NO they do not hire everyone, but they'll hire everyone who seems serious, hardworking and honest. Dress to impress, prepare for your interview with your parents or another adult you trust, and be honest about yourself, and you'll be fine!

The only other thing I can recommend is don't work for one of the pain in the butt managers - I worked under a manager who put everyone who quit as "rehire with interview" - and for the next 3 years, they had enough applicants and instant rehires that they didn't take anyone under that status, even though I left on good terms and had been approved for a management promotion when a position opened. I have not reapplied under Cedar Fair management but I've heard that they've cleared out all previous records, so I'm hoping I could work there again if I wanted to, though I'm leaning more towards going up to Cedar Point for a summer.

Depends on where here is....Holiday World employs 14 year olds...but be aware the legal restrictions on when and where minors that age can work are rather strict...

Yes, however http://198.234.41.198/w3/webwh.nsf/dd5cab6...1b?OpenDocument (From a .gov site)

States the prohibited occupations for 14 and 15 year olds and working at an amusement park in most positions (other than ride-op, warehouse, ect.). I still don't get why KI won't let 14 year-olds work. We have the same working hour restrictions as 15 year olds!

I don't get it either. The only thing I could think of is that they figure 15 year olds will be getting their license sooner or be better friends with people with cars than 14 year olds would be, since transportation was a big issue when I worked there. If you rode the bus to work, you had to work early or swing shift since Cincy buses stopped running at midnight. They always had problems getting enough people to work close between minor hour restrictions and transportation issues, so they prefer to hire people with their own ride, but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to not hire 14 year olds but 15 is ok.

In addition, the park uses age as a proxy for maturity....(though some 40 year olds are not as mature as some 14 year olds!). In addition, the law of supply and demand applies. If the park can get enough capable, competent employees at the wages that it chooses to pay by having a minimum age of 15, why would it go younger? I am quite sure that the park would have a much older minimum age if it could...as younger employees do bring a host of problems...not least of which is dealing with their parents! Trust me, I know these things, all too well.

Well, it the whatnot you want to sweep is the catwalk on Vortex or the stairs on The Beast's lifthill, something tells me you won't be doing that either...but yes, CURRENTLY one must be 16 to operate rides at Kings Island. Be aware that the Commonwealth of Kentucky just raised that age to 18 there (partly in response to the Kentucky Kingdom Superman: Tower of Power incident) and there is often a move afoot to try to raise the minimum age to operate rides in parks as well as at fairs and carnivals.

If you are really, really interested in the industry, and you seem to indicate you are...there is something to be said about getting involved at a very early age...even if your job is just taking out the trash. I was always interested in being a [whatever the heck Terpy is], and as soon as I could I got a job in that field, even though it mostly involved being a go-for more than anything else. I learned a lot in that job, most importantly that I really did really want to do what I really thought I really wanted to do. That's important...especially given the many, many years of training it takes to make a terpy. Just as important, had I not really wanted to do what I thought I wanted to do, I could have found out early and then gotten the training and experience so that I could have done something else.

In essence, old Terpy got himself an internship...and if you ever want one at Kings Island, having an at least satisfactory work history there (and preferably an exemplary one), however humble, can only help.

• Like 1

Yes, but do you want to work in the park industry? If you do, you might want to think about starting now by working in the park...if not, keep your options open. My point is that it is good to explore that you think you are interested in...and that first jobs can be a great opportunity to do just that. Of all the jobs I have had, and I have had many, I think I learned the most about how to deal with people, with other employees and with management from my first jobs...then again, I had the most to learn then...I would like to think I have learned a little something by now....

Well my first job was at Coney Island as a ride operator back in the summer of 2002. I was still working there this past year!

It all depends what area you want to get into. Personally, I have never wanted to work in food service, so working as a ride op has been a nice job. Additionally, you can`t beat a job where you genuinely have fun and look forward to going into work everyday!

In that case I'll just wait till I'm 16. I'll work at like a fast food restraunt when I'm 14 and 15. :rolleyes:

I, too, had this same mentality when I was 15 years old and got a job at McDonald's, and even though the extra cash was sweet, it is true what my parents said, "Enjoy your time as a kid NOT working, because once you start, it won't stop for another 50 years!!"

That said, I am a strong believer in having a job post-15 while in high school...

Tiggy, as a mid-20 something now realizing most of what his parents said growing up was actually RIGHT!!

• Like 1

My mother always tried to tell me the same thing, Tiggy. I have just recently started listening to her because I have realized that she's always right. It drives me crazy to admit it, but things go much better if I just listen to her. *Sigh*

Just for those who keep saying you can only work in food or sweep if you are 15...

15 year olds work in all these departments:

Food Service

Environmental (sweep)

Merchandise

Games

Admissions (front gate & parking)

The ONLY thing they cannot do is ride op and lifeguard. You must be 16 for both of those. However, I never worked in either of those departments (just merch as a 16 - 18 year old) and I still experienced what it's like to work in a park and had a ton of fun at it too. Plus when you're in your second season, you're more likely to get 'loaned' out to other locations or departments. Before I got my management promotion (and got bumped out of it by someone in a different department, which led to me quitting) in my second season, while I was assigned to a particular store, I helped set up 3 stores in pre-season, worked in every single store in the park for at least one day, and even spent time in food and admissions when other departments were under-staffed. The only thing I couldn't get loaned out to was rides because you have to be trained and certified on each ride you operate.

• Like 1

I'm also considering applying for a job in rides this summer. Does anyone know when they will start interviews? Is there an advantage to getting an earleir interview? I've read that you have a better chance of getting the rides you want in an earlier you interview. Also, do you even have any say in what rides you will work? If so are there "good" or "bad" rides? Thanks!

Yes, but do you want to work in the park industry? If you do, you might want to think about starting now by working in the park...if not, keep your options open. My point is that it is good to explore that you think you are interested in...and that first jobs can be a great opportunity to do just that. Of all the jobs I have had, and I have had many, I think I learned the most about how to deal with people, with other employees and with management from my first jobs...then again, I had the most to learn then...I would like to think I have learned a little something by now....

Well I can't exactly start NOW, but I look forward to applying in future years.

I have to agree on this one. Of all my years working, KI has taught me the most of dealing with people effectively-and that is a skill you will need in any career. I can vouch too that it is a pretty good place to work. Nothing is 100% perfect, but you create memories that last forever. Every fall it is sad to say bye for the winter and every spring it is like a big reunion. It's all good.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm going to wait untill I am 15. Actually operating games would be kind of a fun thing to do before ride-oping. Most likely I will have to work for half days, due to cross country, but still it will be fun!

I only worked half days during the school year, and they're used to high school students with full schedules. I worked 4 or 5 hours on Saturdays and Sundays during 'off season' and then went to open availability in the summer. I took an optional summer school class both summers I worked there, so I was always a closer once school let out. I'd go to school until noon and work from 2 to 10. I was 'full time' so I worked 5 days a week (and had some gorgeous paychecks!) but there were many, many others in my store that only worked 5 hours a day and 2 or 3 days a week. Just let them know up front exactly what your availability will be so they can place you in a location where it wouldn't be an issue. That's how I got in the waterpark to start with - the hours fit perfectly with my availability.

Guest KINGSISLANDMASTER

SORRY TO SKIP BACK A PAGE ON A COMMENT SOMEONE MADE,CURRENTLY AT THE PARK IF YOU WANT TO WORK A RIDE YOU HAVE TO BE A RETURNIE,WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO APLY WHEN 15 AND WORK TILL YOUR SIXTEEN AND THEN APPLY.

15 YEAR OLD LIMITS:FOOD&BEVERAGES, GAMES, ADMISSIONS, MERCHANDISE, ECO(CLEANING)

16 YEAR OLD LIMITS:RIDE OPERATIONS, FOOD&BEVERAGES,GAMES,ADMISSIONS,MERCHANDISE,ECO

17 YEAR OLD LIMITS:ACTING RIDE OPERATIONS,FOOD&BEVARAGES,GAMES,ADMISSIONS,MERCHANDISE,ECO

18 YEAR OLD :ANYTHING :o

I am planning on getting a job at KI either next year during the summer or next year during HH. I want to get one during HH because i will be 18 and i find it very entertaining being a scareactor. Plus if i get hired in October then if i came back next year during the summer i would have a good chance of getting re-hired due to park experience.