Scariest PKI moment.

CYoung2003

my scariest moment at pki was when i was working at drop zone on gay day in 2001. everything was fine until at night, the whole que house started singing somewhere over the rainbow! im dead serious, everybody that was in there (half a que house) was singing that song. i was scared for life!!! whats your scariest moment?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One year on gay day, my dad and I went. Weh ad compleatly forgot untill we saw international street and all of the rainbow and hot pinkand ofcorse RED RED RED RED! Thank goodness we didn't go in the park. Be both aggreed on going to Trader's World instead. :unsure:

PS: I accidentally had a red shirt on :unsure: I told my dad to watch my back, if you know what I mean.

Gay Day (or Red Shirt Day) was always interesting...

I was working Karaoke one year...Let's just say that gave all new meaning to the song "My Boyfriend's Back"

Another year at Karaoke, a person got up on stage, and because a lot of people wear shirts that say "Yes, I am"...she got up and said "I'm NOT!"...Got boo'd like ya wouldn't believe.

I wouldn't call those days scary, just unique!?

Scary would be times when we've had people pass out or have heart attacks during or before a show...those times are just panicky.

Let's see - at Timberwolf I've been threatened for telling people not to stand on the benches....I swear a couple of times, especially once in 2001 I thought the guy was really gonna hit me...I was just doin my job.

There was another scary moment, but I can't think of it right now...Oh yea, a couple seasons ago they had a thing at International Showplace where a few of the actors from Days Of Our Lives came and basically talked and answered questions...THOSE WOMEN WERE NUTZ! At the end of each 'show' (they did 2) - I got to be right down by the stage blocking these women from going up to mob the guys...We were gettin smashed up against the stage and everything (and I'm a big guy)...That was really scary...

Anytime we had 'celebrities' at PKI it got interesting!

OK, that's enough!

Scariest, lets see here...There was only one time when I can say I've been actually scared at PKI. It was in 2001 over at Drop Zone and it was storming really bad. I've never in my life seen it storm this bad and there was lightning everywhere. It was myself, Dawn, and Dank who were at the ride when the storm hit. While the storm was going on we were forced under the que house with some guests that were still in there. As soon as we got under there all hell started to break loose. All of a sudden, I see this white flash and then a ear piercing crack of thunder. There was lightning all around us and the rain was coming down hard. So hard that Face/Off was not visible from the que house. There was already a tornado watch out for us and I honestly thought I was going to see a tornado that day. Eventually, the rain stopped and the storm went east. After all was said and done, DZ was struck by lightning at least once and all of the major rides were down for the rest of the night...Dank posts' on this board. Any commentary to share Dank about that scary but awesome day?

I am typically not vocal about alternative life subjects, but thought I would throw this out there.

My first time as an employee at PKI was on a "Pride Night." I was working FOF. I didn't know it was a "special event" but soon realized once I was at the park.

Actually it turned out that the people there that evening were polite, kind, patient and articulate as well as clean and rule-abiding. Compared to other horror stories I can tell you, working a Pride Night at PKI was far from a "scary" experience.

When I think of scary experiences at PKI, I think in terms of various accidents or incidents I witnessed.... all due to rider or guest negligence. The park is VERY safety concious, and I gave my word when I worked there that I would not dicuss specific incidents I witnessed as a ride op. But the GP does really stupid things, and often get hurt because of their own ignorance. What is scary to me is when a guest feels they are superior or more intelligent than the safety rules and regulations. I used to tell myself before each shift that I have to remember that the brain cells get sucked out of guests heads when they enter the park, and it is up to me and the other PKI employees to basically look out for them and do the thinking for them.

Sad, but true.

Shaggy

A couple years ago I went to Kings Island on "Gay Day" with my friend, but we didn't know it. Luckily I wasn't wearing a red shirt but my friend was. We soon found out that it was "Gay Day" at the park. My friend and I tried to stay apart from each other so we wouldn't look like a couple. We ended up leaving the park early. It was hilarious. :lol:

Hey Sparky...I remember that night. I was working TOWER, THE OTHER Lighting Strike. It was VERY interesting. I was working the elevator at the time we shut down, and we, Heidi, Chris, and I were all standing down at the bottom, giving the bad weather entering the area, so we are closed spiel and when it hit, we had people trying to climb up against the elevators and stuff. Once Tower got it, the doors to BOTH vators opened and the people were trying to get inside of them. One lady was about to hit all of us, we got to the point with her, where we called Security. We were actually kind of scared ourselves that night, and we had to stay calm to prevent the people around us from panicing. And, of course, the topic of...Where is the tornado location came out of heidi's mouth, making sure we both knew it. It was rather scary being UNDER the Tower unable to leave it, knowing it was just hit by lighting. We had to wait a while after the park closed, because we couldn't close the Tower completely without Fire and Safety coming out.

I didn't even think about the storms that have happened...There have been many over the years...Of course being an usher we had to open the theaters during storms so people could come in out of the rain...The theaters were always swamped with people...one year (I think it was the storm mentioned above - the whole theater started to flood)...Another year we were stuck in the green room under International Showplace it was storming so hard...two of us decided to brave it to the parking lot and the rain was literally blowing horizontal...it was very freaky! Then of course the PKI parking lot is known for flooding and floating cars!

I remember one big storm, might be the one you guys have been talking about above. Well, the weather got really really bad and so we were rushed to what looked like a fountain matinance room. It was really loud and there was ofcorse alot of pipes. There were three security gaurds that had recieved instructions that NO ONE goes out. Well three security gards are nouthing to a angry mob of people that had split up from there groups. I remember one man inparticular that was missing his 3 year old daughter. Well needless to say he easyly wiped out the security gards and went into the weather. After about 6 people ran out a security gaurd (still nursing his nose) stood in the doorway and I remember hearding, "HOLY S*** THE EFFILE TOWER JUST GOT HIT BY LIGHTINING!!!

So later on, 5-15 mins or so, the power goes out. There was mixed emotions in the room, YAY the nozy engines and pumps shut off! And the power went off, so the emergency lights came on.

Ok, so here I am, leaning against the wall, facing a unruly mob, and a security gaurd with a bloody nose. Good times.

I think I was at the park during the bad storm Daneand the other D were describing, it was a really bad one, I was running toward the front gates from The Beast and as I ran under the Effil Towor it got struck by lightning, I froze for a momtent to look up and sure enongh it had gotten struck by a bolt of lightning. I am pretty sure that it was that particular day but if it wasn't then that it another Scary moment at Pki.

Pki Rock!!!!

:lol:

I am in agreement that storms are cool, but at places such as PKI, storms are not good. Thank goodness no one was leaning against Eiffel Tower at the base, or they might be dead right now. Lighting is fine with striking things, as long as you are off the ground. Once your feet hit the ground, you are now part of that path for lightning to get to the ground. I have to say that PKI is strange in how it can go from being totally sunny to having the darkest clouds, fiercest winds, and worst rain, lightning, and thunder that I have ever seen or heard. Hopefully, I'll get to see at least one good storm this summer while I am there. Its all good, as long as no one gets hurt.

Your right, the weather does change very rapidly at PKI unlike any other place I've everseen. Lightning esspecially , I have some horrifing lightning stories that took place while I was at PKI, like being on top of SOB during the peak of a July lightning storm, or like being in the Effil tower's elevators when the Effil tower got hit by lightning, thing like that. I do have to so there is something every strange about the weather near and in PKI and how intense it is.

Can't wait until the 2003 season begins!!! :(:D

It wouldn't surprise me if it could be linked to the park either in fact or theory. I mean, it has all these huge structures, in an area that for the most aprt is pretty flat. I know there are a few hills and valleys around, but its like flat and then there is PKI and then flat some more. It really wouldn't surprise me if lighting was like drawn to PKI due to the concentration of metal and extreme amounts of electricity flowing through that place.

I can understand that, but isn't it a normal occurence for coasters to valley at one point in time or antoher? I guess if fce off valleyed in teh cobra roll it would be a problem getting everyone down, but other than that, Doesn't this usually happen to one of the coasters at least once every season?

A "Valley" is when a coaster doesnt make it around the track due to various things.

Anyone else working the day PKI lost power? SOB opened about 30 minutes late, and I was walking the guests down the line, and when I came back, my sup told me to close the line again, quickly. I spent the next 4 hours fending off angry guests because the entire park was shut down. Oh and not to mention that everyone came walking down towards Gun/SOB. I was one of the biggest guys on our crew, and even I was getting worried about getting hit!

Which power outage are you talking about? Yeah I was there that day. It was one of the largest picnics of the year and because all the resturaunts in the park were closed they started swarming back there. It was pure heck.

There have been many other fun power outages over the last five years that I can remember. Though it sucks at the food and merchandise stores because all of a sudden your registers shut off and you can't sell anything and you can't give change if you were in a transactoin and guests getted ****ed off.

I never here of coasters not making it around the track... The train can't just stop in the middle of a loop or twist or turn, it can freeze at a braking point or on a lift but a spot with no chain or brakes i don't thinkit can happen... But you never know, MAYBE!

Millenium Force did so last year, and X the worlds only 4D coaster did so the other day. Deja Vu would valley about every week when it first opened.