KI&MVRR Ideas

TOPGUN1993

As you know the Kings Island & Miami Vally Railroad isn't anything to what it once was. There for I'm interested in your ideas on what you'd do or what can be done to improve the experience of this steam train in a cost effective way. Heres some photos of what the current themeing looks like to spark ideas.

There is currently:

-Fort Montgomery

-Mary Rose Inn

-General Store

-Small coffin building (wall) between general store

-Shipit Building (Wall)

-Light Brown (Empty Wall)

-Red gate (Was a barn facade)

-Small Building to Right of red gate

-Brown shelter

-Engine Shed

-Small building across from station

Don't for get about areas such as the Pumpkin Patch area.

Remember not to be greedy and think of practical ideas for transforming the Train experience!

*More photos will be added* :)

#1(Marry RoseInn and General Store)

24o81u0.jpg

#2(Former Jail and Barn Gate)

102np61.jpg

#3(Shipit Wall)

240wvhs.jpg

#4(Fort Mongomery)

73c4e0.jpg

#5(Brown Shelter)

nq4ww.jpg

#6(Backside of the engine train house)

10zptnb.jpg

#7(Photo taken dirrectly after the fence from the pumpkin patch platform)

2z3zxb8.jpg

I think this a great idea Paul. For picture #1, I think all that building would need is a little fresh paint or white wash on the window frames, a freshly painted sign, a little soffit work and a revamped fireplace that we couldn't see the seams on too easily. :) As for picture #4, the weeds growing out of the top and a new coat of stain would do wonders to spruce up the Old Fort.

• dollywood stages a train robbery/comedy in the middle of the ride using live actors.

• they need to spruce up the buildings; i mean for heavens sake, a blackboard winder is falling apart & the tops of the facade have ugly 4x4 post sticking out the top

• there is what i assume to be a blacksmiths shoeing stable (since there is a sign that states "warning, animals may bite") if they could add an animatronic horse to that.

• use more of a folk/bluegrass soundtrack for the trains pa system

• paint does wonders

• the former pumpkin patch could be themed as a frontiersman's abode or farm with a horse drawn buggy (minus the horse)

When I was a kid, they had indians around the train area and live cowboys in the fort; The fort sure could use some cleaning up of the over growth. I believe some of the original indians are located along the driveway of the Clermont County Airport (when you drive in, look to your right in the trees).

[quote name='rotag1299' date='25 February 2010 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1267160226' post='364523'

• the former pumpkin patch could be themed as a frontiersman's abode or farm with a horse drawn buggy (minus the horse)

I think this is a very good rotag. I think it would be very cool if they started out with a progressive story along the train route. Start with the Frontiersman's house, go around the corner and ending up in the town with the General Store and the Mary Rose Inn. Also, an idea for the #5 brown shelter, is to make it into a Blacksmith's Store.

I think the park should revamp the town. They need to fix up some of the old buildings, and build up the "buildings" that are just walls, and make them look more like buildings, instead of a completely flat wall with a sign on the front. If the park can build entire building facades for Haunt (Massacre Manor, Slaughter House) Then why can't they build some decent looking facades for a great classic park attraction?

I also think returning a show element to the train would be awesome. They could add a whole story, put in some live actors, and possibly even a few animatronics.

Easy one - bring back the old sound track! I still remember it like it was yesterday. "There'll be no eatin', drinkin', or smokin' on this here train. We're going through some mighty nice country and wouldn't want to mess it up!"

Obviously, it wouldn't be exactly the same sound track, but something like it. It really added character to the ride. I know, goes along with bringing back the music on International Street, but these are things KI could easily - and very inexpensively - do to bring back some theming to the park.

RD

Nice thread Paul!

First off, I would like to say that I get really sick of hearing that the train is just for transport back and forth to Boomerang Bay. My family rides the train quite often just because we love it...even in it's current pathetic shape. When I am with my about to fall asleep toddler nephew I will hop on board the train...he will look around until he falls fast asleep, then I will usually stay on the train for 3 or 4 rounds...it's a nice and relaxing way to hold him.

If I could pick one ride in the park that I want to get some TLC it's the train.

I do not expect the park to put a lot of effort/money into theming...I would settle for just a little upkeep!

Here are my suggestions for the areas that Topgun1993/Paul provided:

#1(Marry RoseInn and General Store)

24o81u0.jpg

I am pretty happy with this area...but I would like to see them make it more "lived in". Maybe add a little dirt path to the door like it is being used, and set some items outside...just stuff like comical laundry and maybe a wash tub.

I would also let the grass grow higher in the patch of land in the foreground. (The one with the cut tree.) I would like to see some more fake animals strung around like the bear...maybe a beaver working on a fallen tree.)

#2(Former Jail and Barn Gate)

102np61.jpg

In this area I would like to see the new fence aged. I would also let the grass around it grow taller to hide what's behind it. I would throw some dirt on that rocky area and plant grass seed.

I would also like to see them cover EVERY asphalt road that is visible from the train with just a small layer of dirt to make it look more rustic...the layer would not have to be much, just enough to hide the asphalt and enough that grass could grow in the middle...that we we could pretend that it was just wagon tracks in the old west...we are traveling on an old-fashined train...I would like a little attempt at making it seem like we were taking a train trip back in time.

#3(Shipit Wall)

240wvhs.jpg

In this photo all I would like to see is the poles cut off on top...is that really too much to ask. I am surprised that it wasn't done from the get-go.

#4(Fort Mongomery)

73c4e0.jpg

The Fort is a crime...how hard is it to keep the trees trimed down inside? There is no excuse for the way that this has been let go. On the outside I would like to see longer grass hiding the bottom edges of the fort to make it look like more of a real structure...and once again, throw some period nick nacks around to make it look more lived in.

#5(Brown Shelter)

nq4ww.jpg

Clean up the trees around this area and re-open the blacksmith shop. Put some stuff in it like an anvil and tools and a fake hot coal "bin". I would even like to see a mannequin blacksmith standing with his back towards the train

"working".

#6(Backside of the engine train house)

10zptnb.jpg

I can live with this...but aging it and putting up some old looking advertisements would be nice...maybe even "Wanted posters".

I hope the park truly attempts to improve the train ride this year!smile.gif

(And I thank the park for asking for suggestions.)

i really like standbyme's suggestions, but if the house is in well enough shape, i think it would be neat to remove the fort structure and do some touch up work to the old farm house setting in side of it and then the train operators could have a spiel about how that was the farm house belonging to the people who owned the land in which Kings Island sets on before it was purchased and Kings Island built.

kind of like a mini history lesson about the park.

i really like standbyme's suggestions, but if the house is in well enough shape, i think it would be neat to remove the fort structure and do some touch up work to the old farm house setting in side of it and then the train operators could have a spiel about how that was the farm house belonging to the people who owned the land in which Kings Island sets on before it was purchased and Kings Island built.

I think that would probably end up just looking like a random run down house sitting in the middle of the train. It would end up just being an eyesore IMO. I say leave the fort up, just trim the overgrown trees!

Could do kind of a "tour of past Kings Island management"...have wax figures of all the past high level managers of Kings Island you could pass by and hear ways they helped the park, or what they did to ruin it. The current display and what just comes after it would be really interesting to see! :D

I think that would probably end up just looking like a random run down house sitting in the middle of the train. It would end up just being an eyesore IMO. I say leave the fort up, just trim the overgrown trees!

Wait......Im confused...... is there an old farm house inside the fort, or are you talking about the actual cabin looking house?wacko.gif

The little house within the fort is just that. A house. It was built before Kings Island owned the land. The man who owned it and the property built the house himself. When the park came looking to buy the land to build the park, he would only sell it if they promised to keep his house up and not tear it down. So the park built the fort around it to disguise it.

So if you were to remove the fort you would essentially have a rotting farm house, that has not been upkept in years, inside.

* There used to be a link somewhere a long time ago, to a set of pictures of the inside of the fort where the house is.....

I think the park should revamp the town. They need to fix up some of the old buildings, and build up the "buildings" that are just walls, and make them look more like buildings, instead of a completely flat wall with a sign on the front. If the park can build entire building facades for Haunt (Massacre Manor, Slaughter House) Then why can't they build some decent looking facades for a great classic park attraction?

I also think returning a show element to the train would be awesome. They could add a whole story, put in some live actors, and possibly even a few animatronics.

Well, really, the only custom built facade is Slaughter House; Massacre Manor's facade is actually a manufactured facade created by Halloween Productions Incorporated (Dark Rider Productions) back in 2001, as Six Flags had the same exact facade for one of their haunted houses at Fright Fest (though I don't remember which park it was at, though).

But, given the fact that they have the ability to create amazing set pieces in certain Haunt mazes (Urgent Scare being the main example), I would love to see them spruce up the ghost town scenes. It would only take a couple grand to do it, right?

The little house within the fort is just that. A house. It was built before Kings Island owned the land. The man who owned it and the property built the house himself. When the park came looking to buy the land to build the park, he would only sell it if they promised to keep his house up and not tear it down. So the park built the fort around it to disguise it.

So if you were to remove the fort you would essentially have a rotting farm house, that has not been upkept in years, inside.

* There used to be a link somewhere a long time ago, to a set of pictures of the inside of the fort where the house is.....

I thought that all of the land was from the holders of the defunct kings powder company. So Taft essentially also bought more land from locals who lived in the area? Hmmm....learn something new everyday.

A lot of the land that Kings Island sits on also used to be farmland. Columbia Road used to run through the property as well. In fact, the employee entrance is the old Columbia Road. And that road between the parking lot and Invertigo/Congo Falls that goes back by Flight Deck and continues past Great Wolf Lodge and the KI Green House is the original Columbia Road. Kings Island Drive was built when the park bisected Columbia Road. That house in the fort used to be located on Columbia Road. The fence right there by the train tracks (opposite of the fort) actually hides the parking lot beyond.

But, given the fact that they have the ability to create amazing set pieces in certain Haunt mazes (Urgent Scare being the main example), I would love to see them spruce up the ghost town scenes. It would only take a couple grand to do it, right?

While working on a project the other day (writing up a business plan and loan application) I was shocked to find out that a 6 foot tall Fiberglass Gorilla costs $1500, and that's on the cheap end! Similar animals are all that number or higher. If you were to put out animals as Standbyme suggested, that would cost quite a few more nickels than many here would think.

I really would like to see Kings Island take the same approach to the train themeing as an acquaintance of mine did with his amusement park in his backyard known as "Chapman Falls" in Springfield, OH. Kevin Miller built his old west town using recycled building materials and old pallets. Check out his video here to view his town: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y7ZoqBaYXg

It's amazing sometimes what money can't buy!