Fire at Kings Island 5-24-2011

Kat

I was up by Kings Island tonight and happened to notice there was a fire there!!! I have NO IDEA what was on fire, but it looked like The Racer, or back behind it. There was a lot of thick black smoke and then a huge swarm of fire trucks and ambulances as well as a swarm of spectators in the passenger pick up area. The only employee we saw said he had no idea what was going on. No idea if he was lying or not :P

None of the local news sites have info yet either!

It was one of the dinosaurs from the new exhibit. It caught fire around 8:45. Im glad it was not The Racer or any other roller coaster... though I admit I would not be sad if it had been Son of Beast that had caught on fire :lol:

I'm guessing another attraction that will not open on time now.

Yup. No official word that it has been delayed but I'm sure it will be... gotta investigate the cause (currently unknown), assess the damage and all that legal stuff

You know, when you're operating such old things - (heck, those dinos are millions of years old!)- you've got to keep a sharp eye out for fires and other dangers that come with ancient equipment!

I have a simply script that downloads and saves each of the four webcams every 15 minutes. I was originally going to make a time lapse of WindSeeker construction, but something came up, and I lost majority of the pictures.

Nice. So when the park is open you can spy on people LOL :ninja:

You know, when you're operating such old things - (heck, those dinos are millions of years old!)- you've got to keep a sharp eye out for fires and other dangers that come with ancient equipment!

http://www.upillar.com/listings/70125-dinosaurs-alive-at-the-toledo-zoo-dinamation-1988-ticket-stub-souvenir

Actually, they're only about 23 years old..... :)

This is quoted from NAPHA's Facebook page.

"The Warren County dispatch center confirmed a fire at Kings Island Tuesday evening, although a woman who answered the phone at the Kings Island security office said there was no fire and refused to answer any questions."

Sort of Strange!

The dino the dino the dino is on fire

Too bad it's a dino and not some otha' SoB

The dino the dino the dino is on fire

We don't need no dino nor some SoB

Burn SoB burn

Hello my name is browntggrr and I'm a dumb white guy

I'm not old or new but middle aged, under 40, like mid-30's high

I don't know what is the best, but I wish it wasn't a dino on fiyia'

I have WAY too much time on my hands.... ;)

Statement from Don we just got:

At approximately 8:40 pm tonight, a fire broke out in a small area of the new Dinosaurs Alive! attraction and was quickly extinguished. The Kings Island Fire Department was the first to respond, followed by the Mason and Deerfield TWP Fire Departments. Damage was limited to one dinosaur. There were no injuries. Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island will open this Thursday, as planned.

It's been a crazy night here in the newsroom... B)