Choosing between Carrowinds and King's Dominion

I'm looking for a weekend getaway for the family. KI is our 'home' park (despite that we live basically midway between KI and CP).

We were in Virginia for other reasons Memorial Day weekend and we were going to go to King's Dominion on a 'side trip' back to Central Ohio. Weather forecast caused us to, instead, change our plans and head back to Ohio early and visit KI (not a bad consolation prize, at all).

We would like to take the kids (13 and 15) to a park outside Ohio. We would like, but don't require, some historical/educational sites nearby. We're looking at either Carrowinds or KD (both roughly the same drive time). Looking at the rides at each, I see Intimidator 305 and The Crypt (none of us got a chance to ride TRTR) as draws for KD and Fury 325 at Carrowinds. I know they have other rides, but those seem to be the biggest draws for us. Some rides seem to be copies of what we have at KI and don't appear to add to the draw of either park.

I'm just looking for some feedback and, more importantly, reasons we should pick one park over the other. We're coaster kids, flat rides don't do much for us. What other attractions at each park is worth the trip?

Would you suggest a Friday/Monday at the park, or a Sunday/Monday? (non-holiday weekends).

edit: Hotels nearby that aren't overly expensive is also a factor. I know there are as many opinions as there are people on what's a reasonable rate...let's say in the ballpark of $150/ni 

• Like 1

I'd be glad to offer what insight I can. My first and only visit to Kings Dominion, and my first visit to Carowinds took place Fourth of July weekend in 2014. Crowds weren't too bad- definitely less than I expected. I was able to get in a ton of new coasters that weekend- about 40 in all.

Kings Dominion

• Intimidator 305- this INTAMIN giga, hands down, is the most intense coaster I've ever ridden. Think the height and speed of Millennium Force plus the quick turns and intensity of Maverick and that is Intimidator 305 in a nutshell. The first drop is one of the best of any coasters I have ever been on. Did a night ride on Saturday of that weekend and rode it six times the day after. I greyed out all but one time after the first drop. That usually never happens on a coaster for me. This coaster is actually in my top 10 as I enjoyed it. Walk on for the majority of my rides on that Sunday.
  • Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster- I rode for the credit only. Layouts are exactly the same as it is at Kings Island, but theming could vary in places, for example the splash at the end of Backlot works on the Kings Dominion version but not ours. 
  • Eiffel Tower- Do not miss the opportunity to go up to the Eiffel Tower and see the beautiful Virginia countryside. The area around Kings Dominion has not seen the urban sprawl that Mason has, so it's definitely neat to go to the top and see nothing but trees for miles.
  • Other coasters to not miss are Avalanche, Volcano: The Blast Coaster, Grizzly, and Rebel Yell. Hurler is closed for the 2016 season so that will not be open. The Crypt is definitely a must ride as well. We had a Huss Giant Top Spin, theirs is just a regular Top Spin, so it's smaller and it's outdoors.
  • Anaconda- honestly, I rode this for the credit only. It's your standard Arrow looping coaster. I think Vortex is better- I rode it for the credit only.
  • Be sure to notice the differences between Kings Island and Kings Dominion, as the latter opened three years after Kings Island. The park is laid out differently and the front gate is completely different than what we have here.

Hotels- Kings Dominion is 25 miles or so north of Richmond and about 90 miles south of Washington DC. I stayed at the Motel 6 in Fredericksburg, about 40 miles north of the park. https://www.motel6.com/en/motels.VA.FREDERICKSBURG.4447.html

Carowinds

• Fury 325- This B&M giga should be reason enough to visit Carowinds. It's a completely different experience than Diamondback at Kings Island or Intimidator, also at Carowinds. I drove 8 hours from Cincinnati to Charlotte the weekend it opened, just to ride this coaster. And it was well worth it. This is my #1 coaster, with Intimidator 305 being my #2. The best coaster I have ever ridden- I recommend you get down there and ride it.
  • Intimidator- A B&M hypercoaster, similar to Diamondback. I honestly enjoyed this coaster more than Diamondback as the turns and elements are different. It's not as good as Nitro (which I also rode that weekend) at Six Flags Great Adventure between Philadelphia and New York City. Nitro is my favorite, then Intimidator, then Diamondback. This is a must ride while at Carowinds.
  • Afterburn- One of the best B&M inverts I've been on. Definitely a must ride.
  • Nighthawk- A Vekoma Flying Dutchman, similar to Firehawk. Didn't ride it as I can't stand Firehawk.
  • Woodstock Gliders- DO NOT leave Carowinds without riding these. These are the old Flying Eagles from Kings Island. Speaking of which, look who is in one of the pictures on Carowinds' website. https://www.carowinds.com/rides/planet-snoopy/woodstock-gliders

Hotels: Motel 6 Carowinds. https://www.motel6.com/en/motels.sc.fort-mill.1417.html (stayed here in 2014- as close to the park as you can get)

I stayed at this one in 2015, Days Inn about 10 miles south from the park in Rock Hill, SC. http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/south-carolina/rock-hill/days-inn-rock-hill/hotel-overview

• Like 7

You mentioned wanting something educational/historic sites as well. With that I might recommend Kings Dominion and then you can go check out Williamsburg as well which has a lot there, plus if you have time/money can also hit Busch Gardens there as well and get two parks in during the trip. It's only about an hour from Kings Dominion to Williamsburg

• Like 3

You can't go wrong with either park. KD definitely has a homier feel because it is similar to KI at least when you walk in the gate. Carowinds is great, too. Fury is an awesome coaster.

I think if you have a Platinum pass already, go to Dorney then KD. Dorney is small, you can do pretty much all you want in just a few hours. Just throwing that out there so you can possibly get more for your money.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You can't go wrong with either park. KD definitely has a homier feel because it is similar to KI at least when you walk in the gate. Carowinds is great, too. Fury is an awesome coaster.

I think if you have a Platinum pass already, go to Dorney then KD. Dorney is small, you can do pretty much all you want in just a few hours. Just throwing that out there so you can possibly get more for your money.

AHH...didn't even think about Dorney! Thank you!

And yeah, platinum passes are in hand.

• Like 2

Carowinds you have

Fury 325- Hands down AMAZING! One of my favorite coasters behind Maverick

Intimidator- Great B&M Hyper, I prefer Diamondback though 

Afterburn- Great Invert but Banshee is still better

Kings Dominion:

Intimidator 305- Hands down one of the best out there! amazing!

Volcano- great ride, but too short!

Dominator- amazing ride! blows Rougarou out of the water in my opinion 

Overall i would pick Kings Dominion, for charm, better food, and more thrill, I found Carowinds to be a bit overrated as people were putting it, i put Carowinds 5 or 6 for best Cedar Fair park

• Like 1

The one thing with Carowinds is they have put a lot into the park. It's changing to be much more like a CP kind of feel, IMO. Even the entrance looks more CP. You can tell they are investing in the park and are owned by the same people. My 2nd experience at Carowinds was better than the first. I think partly because they have definitely put a lot into every aspect of the park.

KD also has Avalanche. I love that coaster so much. I305 is one of my favorite coasters. I have to agree that Dominator blows Rougarou away, it is possibly my favorite floorless. The experience at KD really mirrored KI. I love KI, so it was a better experience for me just from the "homey" feel to it.

Dorney has great rides, too. Possessed is similar to Wicked Twister, but it far surpasses WT. Their Wild Mouse is a lot of fun, too. Love their flats.

• Like 2