sky ride question

IheartKI

There are two remains of the ride still left. The biggest one is in Nickelodeon Universe. The large gift shop in Nick U. used to be one of the two stations for the skyride. The other remain is a little less obvious. Over by the Outer Hanks Back Porch bar and seating area, there is an overturned row boat. This rowboat is actually sitting above an old sky ride footing. You can see that image below. The other station used to be approximately where Slinghot now sits.

DSC03276.jpg

Also, the former Sky Ride station site in Octoberfest is approximately where King Cobra's loop used to stand. That area also used to include, at various times, Tumble Bug, Skylab, the Ferris Wheel, Flying Dutchman, Der Spinning Keggers, and, of course, Bavarian Beetle!!! Lots of history around there!!!!!!!!!!

There are two remains of the ride still left. The biggest one is in Nickelodeon Universe. The large gift shop in Nick U. used to be one of the two stations for the skyride. The other remain is a little less obvious. Over by the Outer Hanks Back Porch bar and seating area, there is an overturned row boat. This rowboat is actually sitting above an old sky ride footing. You can see that image below. The other station used to be approximately where Slinghot now sits.

DSC03276.jpg

Thanks CoastersRZ! You seem to know everything about KI! How come they got rid of it? And when? I've been going to the park since about 1988...and before that for Winterfest. Oh, which reminds me...you might know this...I kinda remember during a Winterfest visit in the mid 80's ice skating in Hannah Barbara Land...and the other day when I was at the park with my 3-year-old, we were in line for the kiddie bumper cars, and it all came back to me ice skating there at Winterfest...or was that just a dream?

Hey, there is a reason why I am the history writer here on Kings Island Central!

The Sky Ride was removed at the end of the 1979 season. (The Bavarian Beetle, and Haley`s Comet [a Round Up ride] were also removed at that same time.) Low ridership, and replacement parts were becoming harder to locate were some of the prime reasons for its removal. Although, the fact that the ride jammed for several hours due to wind, with people aboard in 1977, was also a large contributing factor to both its decreased ridership, and removal from the park.

The Tumble Bug, and Skylab used to reside where the Coca-Cola cool zone/ Jacob`s ladder/ virtual reality area are currently. The Flying Dutchman used to sit on where Adventure Express`s entrance is. In fact the curved portion at the start of Adventure Express`s line is part of the old ride area from the Dutchman. The Der spinning Keggers were located between Outer Hanks and the air brush T-shirt stand. The Ferris Wheel used to sit behind the Age and Weight guessing game which is located between the Festhaus and Delirium`s queue.

You are correct in remembering there being two ice rinks for the original WinterFest. One was in the Royal Fountain, and the other was placed in the Boulder Bumpers area (now Jimmy Neutron`s Atom Smashers).

Guest kwindshawne
Actually the removal had nothing to do with low ridership but everything to do with maintenance/replacement parts.

Oh, really? Please explain the virtually identical skyrides that still operate to this day, including in several Six Flags parks....

I never felt entirely safe on the skyride or Zodiac for that matter, even though I like heights. I still miss that-walking from one end of the park to the other is exhausting at times. Without skyride and trams its no wonder everyone is dead tired at the end of the day

Actually the removal had nothing to do with low ridership but everything to do with maintenance/replacement parts.

Oh, really? Please explain the virtually identical skyrides that still operate to this day, including in several Six Flags parks....

Not certain why, I just know that it's correct.

Explain to me why it's a little difficult to get parts for a Top Spin ride when there are Top Spins that are working all over the world.

One year there was a part that needed to be replaced in the Oktoberfest station. It took almost a year to have it shipped from Europe.

Not certain why, I just know that it's correct.

Explain to me why it's a little difficult to get parts for a Top Spin ride when there are Top Spins that are working all over the world.

One year there was a part that needed to be replaced in the Oktoberfest station. It took almost a year to have it shipped from Europe.

I remember that! (I think!) I remember each time I went there that season, it was just sitting there!

Now since you're history writer, can you tell me why they ripped out King Cobra, The Antique Cars, KCKC, and the Fast Tracks slides removed/downgraded? I mean, can't paramount relocate rides instead of adding new ones at the cost of an old one?

Now since you're history writer, can you tell me why they ripped out King Cobra, The Antique Cars, KCKC, and the Fast Tracks slides removed/downgraded? I mean, can't paramount relocate rides instead of adding new ones at the cost of an old one?

Because relocating isnt free. It requires a considerable amount of work to disassamble a ride, ship and reassamble a ride at a new, prepped location. King Cobra was already in BAD shape. Why would another park want a 20 year old piece of crap. Dont get me wrong, I love King Cobra as much as the next guy, probably more, but I can understand the parks position.

KCKC, come on really? Honestly, from the parks perspective, do we really need two 30+ year old log flumes right next to each other? Besides, when Tomb Raider opened, nobody had regrets about the removal of KCKC. Again, I love KCKC as much as the next guy and probably more, but it wasn't THAT great. The park is constantly trying to upgrade. Yea they want to hold onto some nostalgia but some things have to be cut, decisions have to be made. The park cant hold onto an old stinky water ride that you do NOT get wet on, for a select few that would rather have it than the current state of Tomb Raider. People only miss it because it's gone; what I mean is, if it was still here, people would not go around saying: Man I'm so glad the park still has this ride. People complain about rides like Top Gun, Adventure Express, etc. but as soon as the park replaces them, people will complain and say the park had no reason to do so.

Fast Tracks? Seriously? People miss those? These slides burned the **** out of your back. I think the only reason the park kept them around so long is because occasionally a womans top would fly off.

Antique cars- no comment...

The park is constantly upgrading. The park is not trying to appeal to us individual enthusiasts. One day out of the year on KIC day the park is catering to us, ever other day of the year, they're trying to appeal to the average familys that dont even notice when a ride is replaced. Do you know how much more money the park makes off of those familys than the do off of you? I know how to save money at KI; honestly, I'm probably the last kind of guest KI wants because I rarely buy merchandise, rarely buy more than one or two slices of pizza, always get free water, never play games, and never pay to get in. Why in the hell would the park want to please me.

The park wants familys of 4+ who buy 2 complete meals every time they go, everyone has to get a souviner, everyone plays games to get 10 cent plush toys, etc. etc. etc. The park makes more money off of one family of four in one visit than they do off of me in 10 visits. Honestly, why did they remove the antique cars? Because the average guest didn't even notice. And to boot, they dont even notice that half the effects dont work on IJ. All they see now is a flashy launching coaster that the kids that are too afraid to ride The Vortex are willing to ride. Why remove antique cars, because all they see is a big swinging thing, and a flashy Sling Shot ride. Why replace KCKC, because there is still a log flume next door, and when it works, the average guest enjoys tomb raider. Why replace fastracks, because now a family of 4 can race, have fun, and not burn up their backs.

Lots of money is spent to please this demographic of patron. You think the park is having Robbie Kineval jump for amusement park enthusiasts? As though the park is expecting 70,000 Acers on May 24th? No way! The park wants to give average money spending familys a reason to come to the park and spend $$$. And if that means giving people hope to see robbie kineval get extremely hurt, so be it!

My cousins/aunts/uncles come in from out of town about once a year and go to the park. For ~6-8 of them, with maybe a couple free tickets, and some to pay for, between admission, food, games, merch, etc., they spend $300-400 EASY, probably more. They come every year and barely even notice the changes. They NEVER complain about ride replacements. At most they say: "didnt the park have antique cars? Oh well, lets get in line for Italian Job." I havn't spent $400 at the park in the last 2 years, including employee meals! Steve, no offense but you work at the park, the park isn't making money off of you; why would they care about pleasing you.

No ride replacement is ever a downgrade in the parks eyes. If it was then they wouldn't do it. You cant promote KCKC after 30 years but you can promote Tomb Raider; you cant promote fast tracks but you can promote collangata(?) racers; you cant promote King Cobra but you can promote the hell out of Delerium; you cant promote antique cars but you can promote the Italian Job; and that is what brings people to the park. Also with the rising price of gas, it probably would not have been long before the park replaced the antique cars anyway.

The park does not remove/replace rides to spite patrons, they do it to please them. If you're not pleased, then honestly, you're probably not worth pleasing.

Progress is progress. Out with the old, in with the new; it's the american way.

Bottom line: To the average american guest, for the money they pay to enjoy the park, they want new flashy, swingy, launchy, top spinny, racing, rides, not old slow, rusty, stinky watery, gas guzzely, back burny, rides.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone, I'm just trying to make a point.

I noticed in one of the old pics here on the site that there was a sky ride landing pic...can anyone tell me about the ride...where it began, and where it ended? Are there any remnants of it to date?

As CoastersRZ can confirm, the ride actually was moved from Coney Island after it was closed in 1972.

http://coneyisland.KICentral.com/photo/dis...35&pos=-150

It was a blast in the evening with a date. The Swiss style chalets for the Sky Ride at Coney were spectacular also!

pilotank

I never thought about the fact that most people are tourists and average families who haven't grown up with KI like some of us have. Those were legit points, but someone like me (In the VAST minority) still misses those rides. But hey, I guess I would have too if I were park managment. I don't make them any money either. I don't buy food, don't play games, don't pay to get in, don't buy cheesy stuff, don't try to win plush toys, the list goes on!

I loved the singing mushrooms outside the Oktoberfest station :D

Thats awesome! Did they sing the songs "Wait till the sun shines, Nelly", and a particular little number that went a little something like this:

"Hello to Yogi, hello to BooBoo, hello to ____too,

Barney and Fred say hi,"

the rest I can't make out...

The singing shrooms near the skyride at King's Dominion in the movie Rollercoaster are shown singing these songs

Because relocating isnt free. It requires a considerable amount of work to disassamble a ride, ship and reassamble a ride at a new, prepped location. King Cobra was already in BAD shape. Why would another park want a 20 year old piece of crap. Dont get me wrong, I love King Cobra as much as the next guy, probably more, but I can understand the parks position.

KCKC, come on really? Honestly, from the parks perspective, do we really need two 30+ year old log flumes right next to each other? Besides, when Tomb Raider opened, nobody had regrets about the removal of KCKC. Again, I love KCKC as much as the next guy and probably more, but it wasn't THAT great. The park is constantly trying to upgrade. Yea they want to hold onto some nostalgia but some things have to be cut, decisions have to be made. The park cant hold onto an old stinky water ride that you do NOT get wet on, for a select few that would rather have it than the current state of Tomb Raider. People only miss it because it's gone; what I mean is, if it was still here, people would not go around saying: Man I'm so glad the park still has this ride. People complain about rides like Top Gun, Adventure Express, etc. but as soon as the park replaces them, people will complain and say the park had no reason to do so.

Fast Tracks? Seriously? People miss those? These slides burned the **** out of your back. I think the only reason the park kept them around so long is because occasionally a womans top would fly off.

Antique cars- no comment...

The park is constantly upgrading. The park is not trying to appeal to us individual enthusiasts. One day out of the year on KIC day the park is catering to us, ever other day of the year, they're trying to appeal to the average familys that dont even notice when a ride is replaced. Do you know how much more money the park makes off of those familys than the do off of you? I know how to save money at KI; honestly, I'm probably the last kind of guest KI wants because I rarely buy merchandise, rarely buy more than one or two slices of pizza, always get free water, never play games, and never pay to get in. Why in the hell would the park want to please me.

The park wants familys of 4+ who buy 2 complete meals every time they go, everyone has to get a souviner, everyone plays games to get 10 cent plush toys, etc. etc. etc. The park makes more money off of one family of four in one visit than they do off of me in 10 visits. Honestly, why did they remove the antique cars? Because the average guest didn't even notice. And to boot, they dont even notice that half the effects dont work on IJ. All they see now is a flashy launching coaster that the kids that are too afraid to ride The Vortex are willing to ride. Why remove antique cars, because all they see is a big swinging thing, and a flashy Sling Shot ride. Why replace KCKC, because there is still a log flume next door, and when it works, the average guest enjoys tomb raider. Why replace fastracks, because now a family of 4 can race, have fun, and not burn up their backs.

Lots of money is spent to please this demographic of patron. You think the park is having Robbie Kineval jump for amusement park enthusiasts? As though the park is expecting 70,000 Acers on May 24th? No way! The park wants to give average money spending familys a reason to come to the park and spend $$$. And if that means giving people hope to see robbie kineval get extremely hurt, so be it!

My cousins/aunts/uncles come in from out of town about once a year and go to the park. For ~6-8 of them, with maybe a couple free tickets, and some to pay for, between admission, food, games, merch, etc., they spend $300-400 EASY, probably more. They come every year and barely even notice the changes. They NEVER complain about ride replacements. At most they say: "didnt the park have antique cars? Oh well, lets get in line for Italian Job." I havn't spent $400 at the park in the last 2 years, including employee meals! Steve, no offense but you work at the park, the park isn't making money off of you; why would they care about pleasing you.

No ride replacement is ever a downgrade in the parks eyes. If it was then they wouldn't do it. You cant promote KCKC after 30 years but you can promote Tomb Raider; you cant promote fast tracks but you can promote collangata(?) racers; you cant promote King Cobra but you can promote the hell out of Delerium; you cant promote antique cars but you can promote the Italian Job; and that is what brings people to the park. Also with the rising price of gas, it probably would not have been long before the park replaced the antique cars anyway.

The park does not remove/replace rides to spite patrons, they do it to please them. If you're not pleased, then honestly, you're probably not worth pleasing.

Progress is progress. Out with the old, in with the new; it's the american way.

Bottom line: To the average american guest, for the money they pay to enjoy the park, they want new flashy, swingy, launchy, top spinny, racing, rides, not old slow, rusty, stinky watery, gas guzzely, back burny, rides.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, and I'm sorry if I offend anyone, I'm just trying to make a point.

And you make it very well. I have always loved KI, but I understand that rides become obsolete over time. Life is the same way. I still think its cool to see a rotary dial telephone, but I wouldn't trade my Blackberry for one.......

Delorean, I went to the park today and I agree with everything you said but we thought the Crypt was a colossal flop! I liked the program better, but there was no lighting or sound on the ride whatsoever! It was literally like a ride titled "Spin for a few seconds inside a dark black silent building" Guests seemed displeased by it. It was also a walk-on. I know you worked Tomb Raider, and that the ride with all the theming and effects was VERY marketable, but in it's current state, I think people would much rather see KCKC, a massivle flowing water ride in RIVERTOWN, or another ride in it's place. Spinning in a dark, silent building just doesn't seem to do it. Maybe they should put in something more appealing. Don't you see a problem with what I explained about the Crypt?

On the plus side, they took out the annoying upside down hang for some quick flips!

And you make it very well. I have always loved KI, but I understand that rides become obsolete over time. Life is the same way. I still think its cool to see a rotary dial telephone, but I wouldn't trade my Blackberry for one.......

Are you a member of the club in which you got a Blackberry for the heck of it but now you can't live without it like I am?

Well, there was sound going in the Crypt today. As much as the techno music didn`t fit the theme as well as this current music, I actually liked the techno music better, because you could actually hear it when the ride was running. And to say that the general public thinks the new Crypt is a flop is incorrect. Both times I rode it tonight, there were several people clapping and cheering when the ride was over.

Between the old program with all of its theming and the new program with its theming and music as is, I`d take the new program hands down. Heck, I rode it twice today. I don`t think I ever rode TR:TR two times in one day before.

Are you a member of the club in which you got a Blackberry for the heck of it but now you can't live without it like I am?

It is provided by my employer, because I can be called, emailed etc. at any time...... But I can't live without it either!! I've used it to check the radar on the internet many times at the park when it looks like rain.......... If there's a huge area of rain coming we will leave, but if its a passing shower, we go to the Festhaus and get some cheese fries......

And to say that the general public thinks the new Crypt is a flop is incorrect. Both times I rode it tonight, there were several people clapping and cheering when the ride was over.

I guess it all depends on when you ride it. I only rode it once (with a full crowd) and after it was over I felt like I was at a funeral...it was dead quiet. As a joke I yelled "YEAH!" (like I was thrilled with the ride) to see if anyone else would join in...nobody did. The only thing I heard was a couple of people in front of me complaining that the ride was not what it used to be.

Well, I`ll certainly take the more intense ride over the old TR:TR without all the theming working like it was the first part of its first year in 2002. Not to mention that the scene where you were held over the lava pit was just painful. Speaking of that, it would be nice if they put water back in that and lit it up. I mean, its not like that is in direct reference to the movie, and can provide some visual excitement to the giant ride in a box.