April 17, 2014: Banshee Media Day
Date: 8/8/2013
Time: 10:00pm
Location: Action Zone at Kings Island
It was a late Summer night in August 2013 with rain on the horizon. Hundreds of guests and coaster enthusiasts gathered in Action Zone to find out that a B&M inverted rollercoaster, long overdue for the park, would be joining Kings Island's diverse collection of rollercoasters as it's 15th. "When we look at the previous ride that was located in this area, it was imperative that we select a ride with a high thrill factor but more importantly one that would be dependable." said Greg Scheid, Vice President and General Manager of Kings Island
Fast forward to today- April 17, 2014. A cold morning hovering near freezing, only 48 hours after finding snow covering cars and trees, soon giving way to sunny skies, seasonable temperatures, and one of my most memorable visits to the park, BAR NONE. Did both B&M and Kings Island deliver on Greg's statement? My opinion is a resounding YES.
I arrived a tad after 6:00am to find a line for check-in that extended out past the picnic tables in front of the ticket windows. The front gate area got spruced up a bit during the offseason and looked amazing. The vibe I picked up this morning with those standing in line was absolutely ELECTRIC, so that even made me more pumped to get checked in and check out what was new for 2014! Took about a half hour or so to get checked in, but what was surprising was that everyone in attendance got a Banshee Media Day tee, a coupon for a free on-ride photo, and a glass Banshee paperweight- in addition to the complimentary breakfast, lunch, refreshments, and ice cream- I wasn't expecting the items, as the privilege to attend Media Day was more than enough but it's something that I genuinely appreciated and made my day, seriously.
Once I got checked in, I headed over to Banshee and took this opportunity to get some photos. When they said Banshee is a photographers dream, they aren't kidding! Action Zone, as a whole, got a lot of love this offseason, and looks AMAZING. Wow. Kudos to Kings Island and everyone involved for a job well done, especially during a Winter in which Mother Nature wasn't so kind.
I waited a little while for the sun to rise and warm things up a bit, as riding a roller coaster in temperatures right around freezing is beyond brutal- learned the hard way on Diamondback in its opening season. Once it got warm enough, I grabbed a locker to store my things in. Good thing about these lockers is that it's essentially $1 per hour and doesn't require a key to get in- which I thought was way nice. I originally punched in 2 hours (7:30am-9:30am) which led me to believe that it would still grant you access throughout the day and charge you for the final time used when all was said and done. Not the case. You have to swipe your card again/insert more money to extend the time or end the rental to gain access to your belongings This led to a Supervisor having to manually open my locker so that I could get my wallet and extend the time. A minor inconvenience, but now that I know how the system works, this moment forward I'm good to go.
Now that my belongings were stowed away securely, it was time to check out Banshee. I'm not gonna lie, the last time I rode a B&M Invert was 2009. The park was Universal's Islands of Adventure. Safe to say I didn't know what to expect as it's been awhile. The theming itself? Wow. Absolutely wow. Saw that they kept the O'Terpy headstone from the announcement in August which I thought was a nice touch. Kings Island really outdid themselves with Banshee and the entire refurbishment of Action Zone. I was beyond impressed. Wow. I was also interviewed during the day today by a reporter from The Cincinnati Enquirer, so there's a good chance that you'll be hearing my comments there as well.
The ride itself? Wow, again! That first drop is amazing, the different elements, and the feeling of picking up speed during the ride. This one is forceful. I was speechless when I got back to the station. Absolutely nothing short of amazing. Rode a total of 7 times today, including rides in rows 4 (2 rides), 7 (2 rides), 2 (2 rides), and 3 (1 ride). Out of all, the best experiences were in row 7. That drop...much more intense! In addition, I also got one ride in on The Bat in 7-1. I love the orange! Brings that ride back to life!
To summarize this day...wow! I had an absolute blast, and as I stated before this was one of my most memorable visits to the park. Huge thanks to Greg, Don, the entire Kings Island team, and the contractors/subcontractors involved in what I'm sure will be one of the most popular rides at Kings Island. Saw some familiar faces, met new people, and finally placed a face to some. Here's to an amazing 2014 season everyone!