Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal Topic

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Right before I let this thing die, since I've never ridden a hydroflume just a bit more.

1. Was the trough the keeboat traveled in (after the lift) deep enough that the boat never touched bottom (Like it always does in the wild thornberry's)

2. Did the boat glide down the hill on water alone (No wheels on the boat's bottom)

3. Does anyone know WHY the water was so smelly and nasty?

sorry but these are like the final key detail for me with KCKC.

it was deep enough that it didnt touch the bottom, but it would hit the sides on the turns.

2) there were wheels.

3) because KI never maintained it. people just threw garbage in there and it never got cleaned.

I'm really glad KCKC is worth a 15 page thread. Will always be a great ride in my memories.

• Like 1

I'm really glad KCKC is worth a 15 page thread. Will always be a great ride in my memories.

Sigh... I'm very sad about it. I worked the Wild Thornberry's log flume (old Kings mill) and am fascinated on how it ran as I worked on it and saw the detailed mechanical side to the ride.

I wish more than ever that I could ride it now that I'm older and more mature. Like I said, very faint yet memories yet I'm certain I rode it at least twice. Once in 1993 and at least a couple more times after. I remember that platform so distinctly.

The lift/drop/hydrolaunch are really hazy. OHHH, it must not have been intense at all though because I was a pansy in those days yet NEVER cried or was afraid riding KCKC. Ironically I may cry now as I want to experience it again so bad. Maybe working at a log flume does that to you. I was so suprised when I didn't see it that 1st day at work.

I was like "Whoa! Where's the tall flume?" :( I don't miss any other ride half as much as this...

Ohh and I take it KI (Paramount) did not care as much about ride maintinence as they now or garbage wouldn't be in a lake that I *ASSUME* the pumps used to power the ride.

Wow! I just saw it and think I may indeed get a chance to experience KCKC again. It looks like an arrow flume just like KCKC! Has anyone here ridden it?

It has a chute drop of about 50 feet which seems right as KCKC's lift height is like 60ft. This looks VERY similar if not almost identical to KCKC. Am I correct??

Now I also need to know what part of PA it's in. I'm hoping the north-western corner?

Nate:

You really, really need to go to Hersheypark:

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersh...q=yes&id=19

How is it that Hershey can keep that thing with such low ridership and such high maintenance costs?

Thats simple, because it doesnt have low ridership.....at hershey. Theres no other similar rides that are better preferred by their guests. Theres another flume, but it is for very small children, its way more tame than wild thronberrys. The coal cracker has no other rides to compete with inside its own park where as KCK has the thornberry rides jsut down the midway, congo falls, and wwc.

How is it that Hershey can keep that thing with such low ridership and such high maintenance costs?

Does it have low ridership?

Honestly, there always seems to be a line for it.

But on the other hand, there are many (if not most) water rides that have significantly smaller numbers of guests that enjoy the ride than other irdes in the park.

Most often times I never see a line for CF or SRF (at CP), and rather minimal lines, less than 15 minutes, for WWC and TC (at CP).

Yes, I've ridden it. Many, many times. I actually enjoy it far more than I ever did KCKC. For one thing, the water NEVER stinks.

Alright interpreter, I need to call on your wisdom. So if you've ridden it many times, is the lift/chute height the same as KCKC. I know that the same company made both and ironically.. they were BOTH built in 73'!!

So is it almost identical to KCKC besides the better cleaned water? I may make a trip to Hershey Park just to ride it, as odd as that sounds. The chute drop for CC is 50ft. Seems about right for KCKC?..

I can't really answer that (though I am sure someone here CAN). In any event, I do know this. If you don't go ride it and it is later removed (and it very likely will be), you will never get to ride it. As I said before, I have always found it to be far MORE fun than KCKC ever was. The siting in the park is better, the upkeep seems far better, and you get to visit a fantastic park that is run well, with many great attractions (Stormrunner is just one of them).

It's probably too late this season now. I'd call the park before going, but it wouldn't surprise me if the waterrides have already been closed for the season at Hersheypark.

^Yeah, I think I'm gonna head over there next summer. You've got Stormrunner, the Great Bear, Farenheit, Lightning Racers, Wild Mouse, Coal Cracker, Canyon River Rapids...looks like a good collection. I was on their web site, but I don't see any "thrill" rides listed. Do they have anything like Drop Zone, Power Tower, Delirium or any flats large or small? Other than a carousel or something low thrills.

Haha I just asked my dad alot about KCKC and he agreed with everything EXCEPT that when I said "and the water was dirty and filled with garbage right" He looked at me funny and said "No, it was crystal clear". But my mom said it was nasty too, go figure! I said "didn't it make you smell horrible?" and he said "No, it was very fresh and clean". geeez...

To let you guys know: I did find a video with KCKC in it. However, the quality is kinda poor but you can still see SOME from the rider's viewpoint! Google search videos

Does anyone else know of a better video of KCKC? And was the water green? For some reason I remember it that way...

• 7 months later...

Dang, this is one hell of a long topic! We go from KCKC, to food, to ripping on TR:TR, to arguements over who knows what, to dirty water, to other hydroflumes.

If anyone wants to see a great clip of KCKC running or King Cobra check this link:

• Like 1