Golden Ticket Awards 2007

^ It seems that with the release of the Golden Tickets each year, the same parks/ rides/ attractions keep winning, or the awards that actually do change but not by much.

It has become such a bore, I seriously question the validity of the awards anymore.

But I suppose to the GP, what they don't know won't hurt them.

While I agree that a lot of the same parks/rides win every year, I don't think it has become a bore. The point of the awards isn't to spread recognition to every ride out there. It's to show appreciation where it is deserved. Good rides win awards. Good parks win awards. And as far as I can tell, the lists look pretty good. The top 10 coaster lists both look pretty accurate to me. As do all of the other awards.

^ It seems that with the release of the Golden Tickets each year, the same parks/ rides/ attractions keep winning, or the awards that actually do change but not by much.

It has become such a bore, I seriously question the validity of the awards anymore.

But I suppose to the GP, what they don't know won't hurt them.

Could it be because the Golden Ticket Awards really don't mean anything?

As many have pointed out, it's simply a way for a group of parks that participate with the organization to pat each other on the back.

As many have pointed out, it's simply a way for a group of parks that participate with the organization to pat each other on the back.

A group of parks? Let's look at some of the winners/runners-up this year:

Cedar Point

Schlitterbahn

Legoland

Santa Cruz Boardwalk

Holiday World

KI

Knotts Berry Farm

BGE

SFNE

Knoebels

SFFiestaTX

EPCOT

Islands of Adventure

MGM

Waterworld Park

I'd say that these awards are more than just "a group of parks" trying to pat each other on the back.

A group of parks? Let's look at some of the winners/runners-up this year:

Cedar Point

Schlitterbahn

Legoland

Santa Cruz Boardwalk

Holiday World

KI

Knotts Berry Farm

BGE

SFNE

Knoebels

SFFiestaTX

EPCOT

Islands of Adventure

MGM

Waterworld Park

I'd say that these awards are more than just "a group of parks" trying to pat each other on the back.

The Golden Ticket Awards are presented to the “Best of the Best” in the amusement industry calculated from an international poll conducted by Amusement Today. Surveys were sent to a database of experienced and well-traveled amusement park fans around the world – in balanced geographical regions – asking them to rate the “bests” in 24 categories such as “amusement parks,” “roller coasters,” “shows,” “friendliest staff” and “water rides.” The 2007 winners are

Ahhhhh.... Yawn.....

Come up with a real valuation with verifiable results....

Then we can pay attention...

This is nothing more than a Beauty Contest that is completely political.

Surveys were sent to a database of experienced and well-traveled amusement park fans around the world

Surveys sent to amusement park fans. The parks have nothing to do with it. The only way to come up with a better evaluation would be to send it to more "well-traveled" fans. You can't just do some calculations and determine which ride is the best.

^ While those parks do deserve applause, it makes me wonder why other parks like Hershey, Kennywood, or even my home park of Waldameer are often overlooked. Is it just because they are smaller parks? (I thought size doesn't matter. ;))

Which is why I question the validity of the awards. Sure, the big names are there. But don't many of us here question admission prices, concession prices, parking etc.

KICentral is a small community. But we bring up great conversation points, mainly about KI, but about other parks as well. And the hot topics this year have been about food pricing, admissions etc. Not only about KI, but CP and Disney. And none of those parks are exactly inexpensive.

Now CP is a great park, and I truely love it there. But how can a park that has such high food prices get #1 again? Sure if they had the quality of food like BGE, I could see why the cost would be high, but the comparisons are not even close.

So was the #1 park award given out for overall park experiance, or was it given out because they have 17 coasters, with the most in the top 15?

^ While those parks do deserve applause, it makes me wonder why other parks like Hershey, Kennywood, or even my home park of Waldameer are often overlooked. Is it just because they are smaller parks? (I thought size doesn't matter. ;))

Which is why I question the validity of the awards. Sure, the big names are there. But don't many of us here question admission prices, concession prices, parking etc.

KICentral is a small community. But we bring up great conversation points, mainly about KI, but about other parks as well. And the hot topics this year have been about food pricing, admissions etc. Not only about KI, but CP and Disney. And none of those parks are exactly inexpensive.

Now CP is a great park, and I truely love it there. But how can a park that has such high food prices get #1 again? Sure if they had the quality of food like BGE, I could see why the cost would be high, but the comparisons are not even close.

So was the #1 park award given out for overall park experiance, or was it given out because they have 17 coasters, with the most in the top 15?

Kinda makes ya want to see how the survey questionaire is put together now does it not?

I think that the #1 park award is given for overall experience. Sure the food is expensive. But name one park where it isn't. CP prices their food so that it is competitive with the rest of the industry... i.e. expensive. But they provide thrills that no other park can. It's the most impressive collection of rides in the industry. Granted other parks are great for their scenerey (BGE or IoA), some for just innovative rides (SFMM); CP has turned its beautiful peninsula location into the amusement park destination.

I think that the #1 park award is given for overall experience.

Which is exactly why I question the awards.

What is considered a "well traveled" fan? Any JoeSchmo on the street can say they are well traveled, but have actually never been out of the Eastern Time Zone.

What are the qualifications to vote in the US? You must be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file the Voter Registration Form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote); live at your present address at least 30 days before an election; not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction; and not claim the right to vote elsewhere.

But there are also voting booths that allow you to vote either Democrat or Republican across the bored without even looking at names or qualifications. Does that make me qualified to vote for our next President? Given that criteria, sure. But it certainly leaves much to be desired.

So sure, I question what Amusement Today considers a "well traveled" fan. Did they find these fans outside the gates to CP, or did they take the same exact amount of people from the East coast to the West coast?

Now if you are talking about voting for a Hall of Fame entry for football or baseball, the sports writers across the country vote who is in and who is out. Now that is a excellent example of being a qualified voter. They are voting on something that is their profession.

What I consider a "overall experience" is the moment I pay for parking (or don't), to the time I leave. How much did I spend? Were my kids bored? Was the crew energetic or lathargic? Was the park soft on the eyes, or leave much to be desired? Was it clean? Are the amenities catered to families? How long are the lines/ were the crews efficient? Was I able to get a free water without hassle? Did I wait in line for food and how was it? What are the smoking policies and are they enforced? Was security visible? Could I find a nice shady spot to relax? Oh yeah, were the rides thrilling, or did I get bored during the day? Did I have fun?

My favorite new award is for Best Seaside Park. For some reason, that cracks me up.

I do agree that the same parks seem to win over and over. However, it is also well deserved. KI DOES have the best kids' area. Holiday World IS very clean. It would be interesting to hear a detailed explanation of how the votes are tallied - and who gets to vote. Gary Slade from Amusement Today has a great overview - perhaps he could send it to KIC.

My favorite new award is for Best Seaside Park. For some reason, that cracks me up.

I do agree that the same parks seem to win over and over. However, it is also well deserved. KI DOES have the best kids' area. Holiday World IS very clean. It would be interesting to hear a detailed explanation of how the votes are tallied - and who gets to vote. Gary Slade from Amusement Today has a great overview - perhaps he could send it to KIC.

Plus some categories come and go. Like last year Kings Island won by a landslide for "Hottest spokesperson". :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

I display that award proudly on our mantle. Of course, it may have been meant for Bill Mefford. I should probably look at the fine print.

Talk about unfair!!!!

I read about an award like that, and then I check PKIMaureen's profile.

No picture?

That just seems wrong.....LOL

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

I display that award proudly on our mantle. Of course, it may have been meant for Bill Mefford. I should probably look at the fine print.

Talk about unfair!!!!

No picture?

Here's to a level playing field:

img7850or2.jpg

post-23-1189030026_thumb.jpg

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Talk about unfair!!!!

No picture?

img7850or2.jpg

Is Maureen the one on the left or the right?

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Talk about unfair!!!!

No picture?

img7850or2.jpg

Is Maureen the one on the left or the right?

LOL

Swiper, NO SWIPING!!!!

My baby loves that show.

Looks like a well deserved award.

The kiddie land award was well deserved too. It was the main reason we went to KI this year.

The Nick characters are hard to beat. My kid knows 'em all, and loves 'em

We had a real tough time getting her off of Blue's Skidoo!!!!

Speaking of new awards... I wish there were the "Brown Ticket Awards" that highlighted the worst rides/parks in the industry... I can see it now.

Worst Staff: SFoG

Biggest downfall in one year: Geauga Lake

Worst Prices: SFGAm

Most painful ride: SOB

Worst Steel coaster: Corkscrew

Worst Wood Coaster: SOB

Worst Food: SFGAm

Overall Worst Park: ??

Speaking of new awards... I wish there were the "Brown Ticket Awards" that highlighted the worst rides/parks in the industry... I can see it now.

Worst Staff: SFoG

Biggest downfall in one year: Geauga Lake

Worst Prices: SFGAm

Most painful ride: SOB

Worst Steel coaster: Corkscrew

Worst Wood Coaster: SOB

Worst Food: SFGAm

Overall Worst Park: ??

Worst Staff at SFoG?

Have ya been there within the last 3 years?

I think that Interp will probably back me up on this in that SFoG is not the Six Flags of old.