Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I got the news video to work, I had to get off of Firefox and watch it on Internet Explorer. The video, although short, was great! The Lateral G's through the first helix look amazing, and tt barley slowed down at all on the MCBR. The airtime looks stunning on all of the camel back hills!

Just reminding people that these are among the first test runs and how the coaster is running now may not be the way the coaster runs come April...

Don said that Diamondback's MCBR will barely slow it down all through out the season, so it should run just like it is now all season.

Don said that Diamondback's MCBR will barely slow it down all through out the season, so it should run just like it is now all season.

I remember watching a documentary on Tatsu and the trains were first tested with harder wheels, and then the wheels were switched out one by one for softer ones until the ride completed the course in a specific amount of time. I believe that this is how Diamondback is being tested, and if that is the case, then the ride will not run quite as fast as it is running now.

As an example, see:

- Behemoth during early testing:

(Pay attention to how the ride sounds, and how fast it is running)

- Behemoth as it ran for media day:

(Notice the decrease in speed, and the ride appears quieter)

I remember watching a documentary on Tatsu and the trains were first tested with harder wheels, and then the wheels were switched out one by one for softer ones until the ride completed the course in a specific amount of time. I believe that this is how Diamondback is being tested, and if that is the case, then the ride will not run quite as fast as it is running now.

As an example, see:

BUT, you're missing the key detail that in the testing video the train is filled with dummies and in the media day vid, theres only 2 or 3 people in the entire train. That affects the whole ride.

I asked this earlier in the thread, but it got gobbled up in the testing frenzy; but do they have some kind of device on the train or one of the dummies that shows the speed and amount of G's that the ride is achieving?

I saw a coaster show not too long ago where they showed them using a G-force dummy on Millennium Force. I vaguely remember them saying that it needed to be done once a year. I would assume that since Diamondback is a new ride, they will use the same type of dummy for it at least once.

wow I missed a lot today. I just read through all of the posts and thanks for the videos everyone! I will be up at lazer tag right by the employee entrance, too bad there will be no testing. I love the way the train flies through the mcbr. I hope the ride runs somewhat similar to how it was running today. That roar sounds so amazing and just gets me so pumped up!

As an example, see:

BUT, you're missing the key detail that in the testing video the train is filled with dummies and in the media day vid, theres only 2 or 3 people in the entire train. That affects the whole ride.

Then compare this to the testing video instead:

I asked this earlier in the thread, but it got gobbled up in the testing frenzy; but do they have some kind of device on the train or one of the dummies that shows the speed and amount of G's that the ride is achieving?

I saw a coaster show not too long ago where they showed them using a G-force dummy on Millennium Force. I vaguely remember them saying that it needed to be done once a year. I would assume that since Diamondback is a new ride, they will use the same type of dummy for it at least once.

You can bet they will. Even though B&M's rides are calculated, calculated, and calculated again, real world readings are needed of the gravitational forces the ride exerts.

While the Behemoth videos do show a difference in train speed between testing and once it was open to the public... I don't think its that big of a difference.

I'm not expert (I know there are some people on this sight with more consctrution know-how and those who are bigger coaster enthusiasts) but I would expect Diamondback to run faster than Behemonth simply from being lighter on the brakes.

On Behemonth there are numerous trim brakes on the hills. In fact, i believe there's a stretch of three or four climbs with a trim brake on the way up. It appears that the only brake during the course of the ride on DB (aside from the MCBR and final brak run obviously) is a small trim on the first hill following the hammerhead. With fewer brakes through the course of the coaster, there are less opportunities to alter the speed of the ride, thus I would suspect DB will carry more of its raw speed and momentum from gravity than Behemoth, which has numerous points set up for man-made altercations to the speed of the ride.

It could be that in the testing of Behemoth, all of those trims were being used minimally. During the video with passengers, you can clearly see the brakes grabbing the train and slowing it down on its ascent. Its visible to the naked eye.

You can bet they will. Even though B&M's rides are calculated, calculated, and calculated again, real world readings are needed of the gravitational forces the ride exerts.

You're forgetting that the entire design of the ride along with its physics and engineering are based on known and accepted physical gravitational constants that engineers have been using for hundreds of years. The 'real world' G readings usually are within +/- 0.2 G's of what the design intends. These variations, or tolerances in readings are also taken into account when designing the ride. Using accelerometers during testing isn't so much as a design validation as it is for the department of health and safety to give the ride their thumbs up.

You're forgetting that the entire design of the ride along with its physics and engineering are based on known and accepted physical gravitational constants that engineers have been using for hundreds of years. The 'real world' G readings usually are within +/- 0.2 G's of what the design intends. These variations, or tolerances in readings are also taken into account when designing the ride. Using accelerometers during testing isn't so much as a design validation as it is for the department of health and safety to give the ride their thumbs up.

(emphasis added)

Okay, fine. Assuming this to be the case, would you or anyone else like to give a logical explanation for why the missing element from Maverick was removed after testing?

Also, the "department of health and safety" is not involved in ride certifications in Ohio or any other state that I am aware of.

Lastly, much of what is done is not driven by state requirements but by the manufacturers themselves, the legal environment and the insurers. Nothing is quite as simple as just pure engineering. Hasn't been for many, many years.

Hmmmm....

No pull through, I wonder who said they wouldn't but everyone said they would do it because they did it with Maverick.

**Ducking from flying objects

Everyone? Really? Please point out where I said such a thing.

Terpy, who doesn't remember taking any mind trips lately...sigh

Okay, fine. Assuming this to be the case, would you or anyone else like to give a logical explanation for why the missing element from Maverick was removed after testing?

I was going to mention Maverick as well. I thought I'd heard that they had to take an element out after they tested and it was too harsh on the meters. I hope DB tests fine the way it is and they don't have to trim it up for an enjoyable ride.