Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Frosty is going to be gone before we've decided on a name.

I've been sky diving, cliff diving, and never been afraid of a coaster but I don't care what anyone says I think I'd be terrified to walk down from the top of that monster. Especially on a cold windy October night.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but standing on the midway that's now closed, I was underwhelmed by the height of Diamondback. I guess you really have nothing to compare it to from there. It wasn't until I saw just how massive this thing was from Kings Island Dr. that I was really impressed with its size. This is going to be a winner!

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but standing on the midway that's now closed, I was underwhelmed by the height of Diamondback. I guess you really have nothing to compare it to from there. It wasn't until I saw just how massive this thing was from Kings Island Dr. that I was really impressed with its size. This is going to be a winner!

I was also (and still am) not visually impressed with Diamondback's height. I think without the Arrow/wooden coaster lattice supports that I'm used to seeing on KI's taller coasters (and Cedar Point's as well for that matter) the visual impact is somehow diminished. The gargantuan B&M track and supports also contribute to Diamondback's seemingly short stature.

I was also (and still am) not visually impressed with Diamondback's height. I think without the Arrow/wooden coaster lattice supports that I'm used to seeing on KI's taller coasters (and Cedar Point's as well for that matter) the visual impact is somehow diminished. The gargantuan B&M track and supports also contribute to Diamondback's seemingly short stature.

Just go there and see it in person, then you will be blown back on your rear. Trust me, this thing is beautiful.

I think the American Flag is much more Nostalgiac and Appropriate, plus it just looks cool.

So do they plan to complete the crown by installing the first several feet of the first drop soon?

EDIT: Answered Here (In a way I like): http://www.kiDiamondback.com/public/latest/blog/

There are still five sections of track that still need to be installed to complete the 215-foot first drop. Work on that part of the ride will begin next week.

Putting an American Flag at the crest is tradition. I would practicaly assure you they'll keep it up till' the ride is done.

About the pine tree? Never seen that! A Christmas Tree? Yes, I have seen that atop a lift during construction, belive it or not!

actually i was quite surprised to see our "crown" lacking a pine tree.

for decades it has been tradition to top off any major steel project (such as skyscrapers, coasters and bridges) with a pine tree and the flag of the country where the project is located.

I tried to look up the meaning, but found none. i guarantee you though that it has nothing to do with wooden coasters, or wood at all. it is something that has to do with the steel / construction industry for sure.

In the US, yes it mainly deals with the steel industry and is generally put up when the steel side of the project is finished. It is intended to signify that no one was injured or killed in the construction process. In Europe it is used in both steel and wood. The whole idea of a pine (evergreen) tree is that it signifies life, and is the same reason it is a symbol of Christmas.