Who's bidding on the first seats on Diamondback?

BoddaH1994

Looks like they increased the # of trains to 5 as the yellow line is now at 160!!! Yeah, baby!! :D

The question is, will yet one more train be added?? But I can't imagine there being more than 2 full cycles (6 trains). The other question is, if I'm overall bidder # 7 and bidders #1-6 all pick the first seats on the first 3 trains, can I pick the first seat on the fourth train??

I'm guessing, and hoping, yes!

This is what I was thinking might happen when I made my earlier post in this thread. However, it does seem that this is going to be the only increase in the number of trains. Also, Tigellinus, I think the auction states only the first bidder gets to pick his or her seat and then the others go in order of bids until the 5 trains are all full.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of you guys are correct -- due to the overwhelming response, Kings Island has added a 4th and 5th train to the first riders lineup. You will notice that it's no longer a "minimum" of 96 riders but rather 5 trains. Remember that it's first come, first serve so cast your bids early!

INITIAL RESPONSE TO FIRST RIDER AUCTION OVERWHELMING

It has been just 16 days since Kings Island announced it was auctioning off the first rides on its new Diamondback roller coaster to benefit a children's charity, but the Park has already received more than 180 bids totaling more than $25,000 in pledges including the top bid of $2,500 by the Adena Corporation.

Due to the overwhelming generosity of so many people, Kings Island has decided to increase the number of first riders from three trains (96 riders) to five (160).

"The initial response has been incredible" said Greg Scheid, Kings Island's vice president and general manager. "Everyone has been so kind. We have received first rider bids from corporations, enthusiast groups and individuals. It's great to see there are so many people that want to be involved in such a great cause."

One-hundred percent of the proceeds from the auction will go directly to A Kid Again. Founded July 6, 1995, A Kid Again is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing fun-filled outings and on-going support to children with life threatening illnesses and their families from the day of diagnosis until the children reach the age of 20.

Because A Kid Again is a 501 © (3) not-for-profit, the donation from top bidders is tax-deductable to the fullest extent of the IRS tax code.

A Kid Again currently has over 1,380 children with life threatening illness enrolled into its programs. The organization includes the entire family on its adventures, thus serving over 6,500 hurting people annually!

Bids can be placed until April 15 by visiting www.kiDiamondback.com/public/auction/ or by calling Kings Island at (800) 288-0808. The highest successful bidder will select their seat on the first train while all other successful bidders will be assigned their seats according to their bid amount.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=828

^^I have admittedly been wondering the same thing, but honestly, since there will be so much going on that morning anyway, I just said 'forget caring about it', and moved on.

But e-mail KI's PR Director Don Helbig, dhelbig (I think?) @visitkingsisland.com and ask, and he should help provide some info.

The park advises that the charity is a 501 c 3 organization. As always, you should consult your tax advisor with any tax questions! :)

From the press release in post 1 of this thread:

...Because A Kid Again is a 501 © (3) not-for-profit, the donation from top bidders is tax-deductable to the fullest extent of the IRS tax code....

I have put in bids for my son and I who both have Platinum passes. Since each winning bidder receive an "admission ticket" to the park can I give these to my wife and other son (under 48") who would like to come that day as well?

Buf, we interviewed Don Helbig on our Audio Journeys with RexandtheBeast podcast (which will be available tomorrow, I will let you guys know when it is available), and we asked him this question. He confirmed that the ticket will be in addition to winning bidders getting into the park for the day, and it can be given to anyone. Logistically, you may have to get it inside the gate at Diamondback and walk back to the front to pass it along, but I think you will be able to do that.

The park advises that the charity is a 501 c 3 organization. As always, you should consult your tax advisor with any tax questions! :)

From the press release in post 1 of this thread:

...Because A Kid Again is a 501 © (3) not-for-profit, the donation from top bidders is tax-deductable to the fullest extent of the IRS tax code....

Thanks. I missed that.

What does this Springdot company do that has now matched Adena's bid? I looked them up but I don't know what all that mumbo jumbo means, but they do have a pretty entertaining website.

Anything to do with the ride?

They are a publishing company. They publish stationary, and other graphics intensive documents for businesses. I believe Springdot publishes the Park map.

Yep. Spring Dot is an official park sponsor. I also believe that they handle printing for the park as well, such as the park map like Cory noted. They have been a long time corporate sponsor/partner of Kings Island, dating back to at least 1999 when they were known as Sidney Printing Works.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew-doggies, the prices are starting to sky-rocket on this bad boy!!

At this rate, and it's still early, it looks like nobody is getting a first ride for under $200 at this point, and the first train will be over $500 as well!!

So if Millennium Force first rides raised $35K, it will be very impressive if D-back beats that, especially in this economy!!

At this rate, and it's still early, it looks like nobody is getting a first ride for under $200 at this point, and the first train will be over $500 as well!!

So if Millennium Force first rides raised $35K, it will be very impressive if D-back beats that, especially in this economy!!

While I didn't go through the entire list, I did a quick add up of the top 50 or so bids, and I'm pretty positive it's already surpassed the $35K mark

The top 10 alone easily busts $20K. Which is great news for the charity. Given the time left to bid and the addition of two more trains, I'd imagine the grand total ought to flirt with $50K

Diamondback has already beaten that. The auction has already raised over $50,000 and is going great!

KIC gets mentioned in a Kings Island Newsletter article about the auction:

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=835

^^As I've said, the lowest bid will be 3 digi's for sure!! Probably close to $200, if not above it....the auction has been a legitimate slam dunk!!

I'm not sure if there are periodicals or publications dedicated to the charity industry, but I can't imagine this auction would not be covered in something like that!!

^^That has never been clearly defined...but connecting dots (like I love to do!) I would say you could call the phone # listed in the auction and tell a live person on the phone to increase your bid, and then they would change it for you.

I track the bid board daily and have noticed some people's bid has increased (without submitting an entire new bid), and that's how I'm guessing they've done it...but I wouldn't wait to make a phone call on the last day at 8:00 am either!! (if anyone even answers)