New Triains on SOB Anytime soon?

hausty1983

At last count, Cedar Point had 67 rides total. Count out 16 rollercoasters and a couple water rides and such and you'll see that CP isn't lacking in the flat ride department. Sure they don't have any overly themed flats, but they actually have more than PKI. I'm not trying to get a CP vs. PKI thing started, just wanted to clear up that "CP doesn't have very many flats" myth. I hate to see people misinformed. And you are missing out on a lot of fun at CP. I'd recommend you go there as much as I'd recommend anyone go to PKI.

StXBomber, you may be thinking about the Chaos ride (my personal favorite flat at CP as well). The one at Cedar Point didn't crash, it was one at another park. I can't remember which one. When I saw the news when it happened I thought it was Cedar Point too. Since it was a Chaos ride, CP closed their's for a while to make sure the same thing wouldn't happen to their's. Apparently it was just a freak problem with that particular ride at that park. When CP was confident that theirs was okay, they opened it back up.

Their ride that collapsed on the off-season was a pay-ride which I believe is the same thing as PKI's slingshot ride.

I wouldn't call CP's kids rides bad. It's just that PKI has the best. When compared to one another, CP doesn't stand a chance. But CP's kids rides are just as good (or bad if you prefer) as most other amusement parks.

Edited by LongLiveTheSmurfRide

Just to answer the question before the topic is back, Chaos was just moved to another part of the park. Only one of the their two Dodgems was removed perminantly. smile.gif

Back on topic, if they were to put Y-bars on the SOB, hypothetically, I wonder if they could convert the current trains to use them or if they'd need completely new trains that could handle those types of restraints. Anyone know how the current SOB trains could be modified?

Edited by LongLiveTheSmurfRide

Can you copyright a lapbar? I mean, I've only seen those on Intamin coasters, so I wonder if it would even be possible for SOB to have them legally.

No you can not copyright the lapbars but you can "Patent" the design. Basically the same thing but for mechanical designs instead of written material.

They have been working on SOB all winter, I am not sure what they were doing. I honestly can't remember seeing anything new with the lapbars, though. The "Y" bar does look much more comfortable. I have a hard time riding SOB, and I have known some people to get hurt on the ride as well. The ride is just too uncomfortable for most people over 6'.

Just to get this back on topic they have been doing alot of work on SOB this winter and I think we will all be in for a surprise (Cross-fingers) Anyways....an inside source has said that SOB's trains recieved alot of work this winter and they will sport new lap bars and that the floor boards that were added (last year??) have been removed. Hopefully this means that we can look forward to some non-knee bashing rides this year. Also there has been a lot of track work done...supposedly alot on the back double helix.