kings dominion new coaster in development

I'm sorry, but it already seems like the animation isn't doing it for me. It just seems out of proportion to me. Hopefully once they have it constructed I'll be a whole lot more impressed. Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome, but the animation is just a little disconcerting.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Animation/POV's mean nothing. It's a digital concept. Look at Maverick's first impression.

"Biggest Baddest Meanest" just is a rip off of Diamondback, and I don't think it fits with the name.

A very odd and interesting layout...it looks like it will have some GREAT airtime coming off of a 305ft lift hill. It looks sooooo weird being somewhat "compact" instead of spread out. Hm..

Booooooooo for no lap bars, but what do you expect.

Well, it looks better than Millennium Force to me!

I, on the other hand, am waiting for Carowind's announcement!

But with the cable lift, I guess there's a set high capacity because the lift can only go up and down so fast, right? I was trying to figure that out with MF. Even if you get a fast dispatch ready, you'll have to wait for the cable lift! Versus just dispatching when you're ready. You're on automatic versus manual from the way I see it...

not at all what i expected. no major elements or drops with the exception of the first hill. id does look like a speed machine though, and a lot of those turns could be pretty awesome.

i'm not unimpressed, but i'm not excited either. i'll take DB over it any day.... and i bet the carrowinds announcement will be just as, or more impressive.

when is carrowinds announcement

Shoulder restraints? wow.

I really like that sharp low turn at the front, no hill to slow it down. Was kinda dissapointing with only 305ft.

They don't even touch your shoulders unless you are really tall. It is a lap bar with two rubbery fixed straps that connect to your seat. Brace yourself because it is very easy to bash your neck on those quick turns like on Maverick.

I like the first turn too. Kinda like the Ride of Steel clones at Darien Lake and Six Flags America but a lot fast and a longer turn.

EDIT: Does anyone else think that the construction period might go by a little faster with a lot of the coaster being pretty low to the ground?

Yeah. I would think that would help speed up the process. Besides the lift hill/ first drop and second hill the ride is very low to the ground.

What's the point in using a cable lift system? As I said Diamondback's lift is pretty fast and it's not a cablie lift system.

Traditional chain lifts would be too heavy. I think I read it would be like twice the weight of one train or something. SD2000 uses 2 separate chains on its lift, so 2 trains can be on the lift at one time.

But with the cable lift, I guess there's a set high capacity because the lift can only go up and down so fast, right? I was trying to figure that out with MF. Even if you get a fast dispatch ready, you'll have to wait for the cable lift! Versus just dispatching when you're ready. You're on automatic versus manual from the way I see it...

In the front seat animation, the trains gets up the lift in roughly 20 seconds. I don't know if that is accurate, but if it is, I don't see a problem, with dispatching trains as fast as they can be loaded.

^Next Wednesday (the 26th).

But, will it be better than your precious Millie?

Honestly:

As much as I LOVE Voyage and Diamondback, and how they overtake Millie as far as ride experience (except for the fact that Millie's first drop is a gut wrenching hell that has yet to be topped by any coaster I've ridden, and has no trims or MCBR to slow it down or ruin it), Millie has a special place in my heart for many reasons. It always has and it always will, and that is why I get so angry when so-called enthusiasts start bashing it.

So even if 305 turns out to be a better ride, it will never take Millie's place in my heart.. no coaster ever will! :wub:

But, will it be better than your precious Millie?

Honestly:

As much as I LOVE Voyage and Diamondback, and how they overtake Millie as far as ride experience (except for the fact that Millie's first drop is a gut wrenching hell that has yet to be topped by any coaster I've ridden, and has no trims or MCBR to slow it down or ruin it), Millie has a special place in my heart for many reasons. It always has and it always will, and that is why I get so angry when so-called enthusiasts start bashing it.

So even if 305 turns out to be a better ride, it will never take Millie's place in my heart.. no coaster ever will! :wub:

The same way a lot of people on here feel about The Beast.

It isn't at the top of the thrill charts anymore, 30 years later.

Some people still keep it at the top of their list.

I don't know how it's possible to bash Millennium Force. The ride is tall, fast, tons of drops, fantastic turns, and despite what people say there is airtime on it, on the first drop and the bunny hill near the station. The location is great and the length is wonderful.

If this ride is anything at all like Millie then it will be a great ride. I do not see this topping Millennium Force, but I do see this becoming a top 10, or even a top 5 ride.

I think it looks better than Millie. The airtime on the first drop looks epic, and and the two hops look pretty good. The first camelback doesn't look like it has the strongest of airtime, but it looks better than the camelbacks on Millie. Yep, I'll definitely be riding Timmy next year.

So if you bash MF you're not an enthusiast? We know you love MF, but easy. People talk crap about Diamondback and hey...people talk crap. I don't talk crap back to them...and I have a special relationship with the ride, I work it! No matter HOW good a ride is, someone isn't going to like it. That's how it works.

But anyways this is going to be a great ride. MF I think has the upper hand when it comes to comfort and views from the train with the lapbars and location. But who knows how it will ride until you're in the station waiting for the train to pull in.

85* is going to be fun. And from the animation it doesn't look like the cable lift goes 1/2 way down the first drop, so the train should come into the first drop pretty fluidly. I'm curious to see how the entrance plaza works out. That's going to be looking great!

Sorry if this has been talked about, I couldnt find it, but what is the deal with the chevy logo on the trains in the animation, is the ride sponsored?

They had to make a licensing agreement with both DEI, and RCR. Dale Earnhardt INC, and Richard Childress Racing.

DEI holds the rights to Dales signature, and likeness, while RCR holds the rights to the number 3 style.

If you search the letters DEI, and RCR you will probably find the article that covers it. I read it on here yesterday.

I think it had to do with them using the Earnhardt name on this ride, and on the Carowinds coaster.

Carowinds makes more sense to have a Dale Earnhardt ride to me. He is from a town that can't be more than 20 miles or so away from there.

When I first saw the animations I was somewhat disappointed. But as I look them over more and more I am less and less disappointed and more excited.

I believe now that it will be a fun ride and worth a trip down to KD.

My only complaint is the OTSR's. If they just had lapbars the ride would be 3x better.

I also wonder what's up with the 305 (I know that's how tall the ride is). Why not just name it Intimidator? That rolls off the tongue much easier. Unless Carowinds coaster is named Intimidator...

Now I realized that the ride looks really bad. I mean, only about two hills? Curves don't seem REALLY exciting to me. The drop will be very good though. But I would rather travel to Kings Island no matter where I lived than Kings Dominion to ride Diamondback.

Way too much bashing of Intimidator. Then again, I am a big Maverick fan.

Ok after just getting back from vacation, and getting caught up on all of this I have a few things to say.

At first I thought the name was just "Intimidator" not Intimidator 305. Why the heck would you put 305 on the end of such a sweet name? There is no need for it.

Why would Cedar Fair make this so hard on the KD marketing team? Dick really couldn't make it taller than his baby Mille? Now instead of it being easily "Tallest non launching coaster" the marketing team comes up with tallest on the east coast. Big whoop. It would make it a whole lot easier and more attractive to have the tallest, not tallest on this side of the country.

This layout seems boring to me as others have stated. The OTSRs don't help much either.

We went to Busch Gardens for vacation and on the way there we passed KD. My dad said we could go there next year instead of BG because I went on and on about how sweet this coaster was going to be. After I saw it announced, I plan on going back to BG to get some more Apollo's Chariot goodness. It is my new favorite ride. Blows DB out of the water, sorry.

People b*tch too much.

Has anyone ridden it yet? Then I don't think they can say it sucks.

Who cares about the name? It's a ride. You're there for the ride experience, well....at least I am. I don't hear people complaining about "Drop Tower" or "Flight Deck" Those names stink, I'm not going to ride it.

I can't wait to ride this coaster. It looks like another great coaster for Cedar Fair and the American theme park.

People b*tch too much.

Has anyone ridden it yet? Then I don't think they can say it sucks.

Who cares about the name? It's a ride. You're there for the ride experience, well....at least I am. I don't hear people complaining about "Drop Tower" or "Flight Deck" Those names stink, I'm not going to ride it.

I can't wait to ride this coaster. It looks like another great coaster for Cedar Fair and the American theme park.

AGREED! Seriously? How can some of you be disappointed? ITS 305 FEET TALL! At speeds up to access of 90 mph! Are you kidding me? This is a ride I'm DEFIANTLY going to have to hit.

TTD is 420 feet and people dont think it is the best. Bigger isn't always better. Look at SOB for God's sake.

As for the name I was just sayin it was weird they didnt just leave it as just Intimidator.

Have you ridden it? No you haven't so you can't tell me that it doesn't suck. it goes both ways.

What I was getting at is that there is nothing new and nothing exciting to this coaster. It has all been done before and it will be done again. It doesn't look any better than Mille and I couldn't care less about MF. Thats how I know this coaster wont excite me. I can compare, I dont need to ride it first.

I guess I'm a B!tch then. That is fine with me.

I am sitting here dying with laughter at all the people on this board who bash coaster after coaster and then have the nerve to call themselves enthusiasts. If you find something wrong with every coaster in existence and even get to the point where you refuse to ride certain things just because it's an Intamin, Vekoma, etc.. guess what? You are NOT an enthusiast.. you are a spoiled brat. Read my sig.. true enthusiasts don't sit around with their nose in the air, bashing coasters.. true enthusiasts RIDE.

/rant

Who said they wouldnt ride it because it was made by Intamin? Nobody is picking every coaster apart. There are many coasters that I think are just perfectly designed, and fun. This isn't one of them. I don't know about you but TRUE enthusiasts comment about rides, parks, food, etc.. to help make the park better. Go over to Pointbuzz and see how many people are complaining about food prices. Are they not enthusiasts, because they try to let the park know what to do better so we all have a better experience?

Most people aren't gonna be up the ride designers butt and brown nose about how perfect a ride is. We come here to talk about the rides, shows, parks, food, etc.. because we like them and it is fun to us. Not everything can be pretty rainbows and unicorns. Most things arent perfect and when they aren't, there are going to be people who point it out.

Just cuz you don't like one ride makes you a non-enthusiast? Really? I find it hard to believe you love every single ride. If you do then I'm happy for you. want a cookie?

Is it just me or is this thing gonna have major headbanging? I'll probably be called a spoiled brat and a B!tch about saying headbanging.

Since when does posting opinions turn you into a spoiled brat and a B!tch? I guess we are all those things then.

Bite me.

Zach, who is off to bed.