Thoughts from Yesterdays trip to KI

DaveStroem

We were at the park yesterday with the family. Myself, Wife, & kids 12 & 10. While I and my 12 year old are both coaster riders, my wife is not. She won't do anything that spins or has any kind of G force at all. (I blame this on a poor childhood as she never went to amusment parks growing up).

There doesn't seem to be many rides for people like her. I felt bad getting in to queue after queue and leaving her on a bench waiting. While she could do some of the things in the kiddie area. This is almost demeaning.

While I know that KI is a thrill park I would think it would be wise to broaden the range of rides and follow a bit from the mouse in the south. Toy Story Mania comes to mind.

I think things will get better for her when the water park opens and the shows begin.

Any thoughts?

Well, there are already two shows that opened with the park. And once the regular summer season gets going, Kings Island has a wide variety of shows.

Yes, it would be nice to broaden the family rides line up some (especially after the removal of the Antique Cars and Flying Eagles (which are still thrilling families down at Carowinds)).

There is Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle, which is a very much less sophisticated version of Toy Story Midway Mania.

And Kings Island is one of only a handful of parks in the chain (the only Paramount Park) that still has its steam train which is a great family ride.

There's also the train ride, the Eiffel Tower, and Wild Thornberry's log flume. While I can certainly understand why it would seem there's not a lot to do for someone that doesn't ride the bigger rides, I think they've done a pretty good job adding rides of different thrill levels. Like CoastersRZ said, the removal of those two rides was upsetting, but there is still a lot of entertainment value for the non-thrill seekers.

That is tough. I'm a coaster freak, but cannot do anything that spins. I've never ridden the monster, and even shake rattle 'n roll is a little borderline. The Scooby ride and the 3D theater are good options-as well as the water rides. It would be nice if they had a ferris wheel or the sky ride (that would be scenic, fun, and practical for transportation).

I find it slightly amusing that for years people have called KI a family park. Suddenly DB shows up, and it's a thrill park. :lol:

Anyway. She could always hit the arcade, ride the train or hit the Eiffel Tower, or maybe Thunder Alley.

I agree. It seems that for too many years, KI has been neglecting us coaster freaks in favor of more family friendly attractions like Italian Job. ( Now Backlot Stunt Coaster.)

Only people like us would call Backlot Stunt Coaster a non-thrill ride. I can assure you, it's far too intense for most non-coaster riders, while not meeting up to the high standards of many who seek thrills. In addition, it has the added burden of having displaced both the Tiques and the Flying Scooters aka Flying Eagles. It's not a bad ride, but its placement in the park leaves a lot to be desired. Moreover, its theming of a gritty LA/Hollywood junky movie set is most unfortunate, given the bucolic, pastoral setting it displaced.

I actually consider BLSC to be a fun ride. AE is fun at night too, you have no idea where you're going.

A ride doesn't have to defy the stratosphere or run at breakneck speeds to be a great ride. Maverick is a great example of this too.

Every great amusement park needs a variety of things, from extreme thrill rides to carousels, from games to water slides, from live entertainment to haunted houses. The more people you appeal to, the better for your business. I am indeed a thrillseeker and will ride the tallest, fastest, scariest things around.. but I rarely go to CP without a ride on the Giant Wheel or the CP/LE Railroad. Now the Sky Ride.. you have to tranquilize me first. That thing terrifies me.

^I too find BLSC to be pretty fun. I especially like it in the front when you get a few pops of airtime throughout the circuit. The tunnels sudden turns always surprise me and are pretty fun. I would never wait over a half hour for it though. :D

BLSC was more intense than I thought it'd be...not 'worth waiting for three hours intense', but still intense, and fun. It would have fit much better down by Drop Tower though.

Yea, that is true, I would say that BLSC would have fit in perfectly with Action Zone. Why Paramount decided to place the ride in an area themed to a classic amusement park midway is beyond me. If you think about it, Paramount could have easily squeezed BLSC behind Delirium, provided that they filled in the small depression, but they didnt. Although Paramount considered KI to be a complete theme park, I think that Cedar Fair might be doing a better job at keeping rides in appropriate areas, considering the placement of DB, and the fact that they renamed the area with FOF and Firehawk as "X-Base".