Graying out on coasters with high Gs

gigacoaster2k

Is graying out a bad feeling?

It is more scary than it is painful.

Graying out, is actually a great term for it, because thats what happens.

All the color kind of washes out of your vision. With your eyes straight ahead, you can focus on whats in front of you, but your proifea....I'm not even going to try to spell it, but you know what I mean, gets blurry(sometimes called tunnel vision). You also get a feeling of Lightheadiness and or dizziness.

Thats how it was for me anyways.

It is something that usually comes and goes very quickly, but sometimes if it is severe enough, it can stick around for a few minutes.

For me, I lose all vision in my peripheral vision (I had to look it up...) and I can see just a small circle straight ahead, and I get extremely lightheaded. The first time it happened, I wasn't scared, but concerned. Now, it really doesn't bother me.

Is graying out a bad feeling?

It is more scary than it is painful.

Graying out, is actually a great term for it, because thats what happens.

All the color kind of washes out of your vision. With your eyes straight ahead, you can focus on whats in front of you, but your proifea....I'm not even going to try to spell it, but you know what I mean, gets blurry(sometimes called tunnel vision). You also get a feeling of Lightheadiness and or dizziness.

Thats how it was for me anyways.

It is something that usually comes and goes very quickly, but sometimes if it is severe enough, it can stick around for a few minutes.

Well is it worth riding a coaster?

In one word, yes. When I ride BLSC, sometimes gray out. When I do, everything gets black except one little bit in the middle, but it is blurry. Also, I see colorful lines and squiggles. Nothing bad, I just can't see for a few seconds. Same thing happens on Invertigo. But, Monroe posted a trick he had, and I try it, but it doesn't help on Invertigo too much.

What does all this stuff even mean in coaster terms? Blacking out is very dangerous, and real life you would need to be rushed to the hospital immediately. Because I wouldn't use a word a way that way ever, used on a ride.

I black out a lot on coasters. At the bottom of Diamondback/ Millennium/ Dragster's hill, and especially on Backlot Stunt Coaster in the helix.

You didn't answer the question. ;)

Let me put it in these terms: I gray out almost 3 times a day anymore (from just going from a sitting to a standing position.) I have yet to go to the hospital for it because I understand exactly what it is: A gray out is when the blood quickly leaves your head for a split second, then it comes back. If constant, it may show signs of circulatory problems, however if it is forced out of your head, it is no big problem.

Ditto The Vortex loops. I start to gray out by the time the train is through the 2nd loop sometimes.

edit: I just remembered, I also gray out a little bit near the end of Flight Deck's circuit. There seems to be an extended period of vertical G's (downforce) there, I think courtesy of the swinging cars and fairly tight turns :)

According to NetGo's show SuperCoasters, Millennium Force at the bottom of the first drop pulls 4.5 G's.

I have grayed out on Mantis, going though the loop and the Dive Loop.

Now that I think about it, BLST after the lunch going up the spirl, very close.

I think the duration is also important to consider. It isn't just the peak magnitude of the acceleration, but also the timespan over which you experience an increased acceleration magnitude. A graph showing a rider's vertical acceleration as a function of time would definitely be interesting.

Well how come rides like Diamondback don't gray you out (at least I think it doesn't). BLSC does NOT seem like the kind of coaster that would mess up your vision. Is it because of how fast the launch takes to get up to its full speed? Because FoF does not mess me up, and no one ever talks about TTD doing anything.

Well how come rides like Diamondback don't gray you out (at least I think it doesn't). BLSC does NOT seem like the kind of coaster that would mess up your vision. Is it because of how fast the launch takes to get up to its full speed? Because FoF does not mess me up, and no one ever talks about TTD doing anything.

Back Lot can do it because of the extended time you forced down by spiral right after the launch.

Diamondback has got me right at the bottom of the first hill. Not every time though, and not severe.

On one trip this summer, I didn't drink enough water, and got dehydrated. That can intensify the feeling.

I got very light headed and dizzy on Flight Deck, and then on Adventure Express as well. At that point, I knew there was something wrong, so I quit riding.

Different "G-forces" act in different ways. When you experience a rapid launch, the blood is not being forced downward out of your head so much as it is simply being pushed towards the back of your head. This is because the "G-force" is acting in a horizontal axis. The G-forces felt at the bottom of a big hill are acting on your vertical axis ("downforce") so your blood is essentially forced down towards your toes.

Why doesn't DB gray you out? I don't know. I guess it doesn't have intense peak downforce type acceleration for very long. My body particularly reacts to extended periods of downforce (Vortex loops, flight deck fast turns near the end). This is all speculation, I have no real data to back any of this up ;)

Yeah, pretty much what Tomkatt said. If you're going to experiecne high g's, you graying out has to do with the duration, amount, and direction. On BSLC, the high g's are forcing you down into your seat, therefore causing the bood to go away from your head. On a launch, it is forcing you back into your seat, so the blood isn't going away from your head. On TTD, even though it seems to accelerate quickly, it isn't that high of a g force. Its speed is gradually (gradually in that short time span) built up.

Edit: And what dakota said.