The Son of Beast Discussion Thread

BoddaH1994

yeah i think i remember seeing a if they want to reopen it it must get inspected again so that if there are changes they can be approved. something like that. inspections just take a day or two from what it sounds like on the report anyways...

Hey, everyone print these off and bring them in for Kings Island! Well, you can take out names and put in new ones. WE NEED THEM!

I love that sign. You KNOW it's a bad woodie when CF puts up a sign like that! Well, theirs doesn't have a spiel including a laundry list of reasons you shouldn't ride, so...

Or implode it. That would be a cool thing to watch. :)

sobtear.jpg

These are the kind of posts that get threads deleted. If you dislike SoB, great. If you don't, that's awesome. People don't have to keep saying it over and over and over and over and over!!!!!! STOP AND LETS HAVE A REAL CONVERSATION ABOUT A GREAT COASTER!!!!

I was just saying that if they were to take it down, this would be the coolest way. Do I want it taken down? No I do not.

Some things in the article posted in the first post (this one) don't add up or are conflicting.

The e-mail continues that her husband took her to the West Chester Medical Center and “a CAT scan showed a small spot of blood on my brain.”

She was transferred by ambulance to Bethesda North Hospital, according to the report.

She told investigators she was placed in Intensive Care Unit, where she remained overnight and was released around 4 p.m. on June 1 “after further tests indicated that the bleeding had stopped,” she wrote.

(emphasis added) So, that says she went to West Chester Medical Center on May 31, the day she was at Kings Island.

The incident was reported to the park on June 16 by Tavella’s husband, Jeff Tavella.

In an interview with ODA investigator Hal Miller, Jill Tavella she said she did not report the injury for two weeks because “her husband was out of town and she was taking care of her three children.”

It had not occurred to her to report the injury until her husband suggested it when he got home, she told investigators.

(emphasis added) Right there she says her husband was out of town. So, was he in town and he took her to get medical treatment, or was he out of town and she went by herself to get treatment? If he did take her to the medical center, what, did he decide to leave his wife who had a (possibly very) severe injury at home by herself for two weeks and then think it would be a good idea to report it?

Either the news article is messing up the facts, or that lady is getting her facts mixed up. Or I'm looking into this way too deeply.

Some things in the article posted in the first post (this one) don't add up or are conflicting.

The e-mail continues that her husband took her to the West Chester Medical Center and "a CAT scan showed a small spot of blood on my brain."

She was transferred by ambulance to Bethesda North Hospital, according to the report.

She told investigators she was placed in Intensive Care Unit, where she remained overnight and was released around 4 p.m. on June 1 "after further tests indicated that the bleeding had stopped," she wrote.

(emphasis added) So, that says she went to West Chester Medical Center on May 31, the day she was at Kings Island.

The incident was reported to the park on June 16 by Tavella's husband, Jeff Tavella.

In an interview with ODA investigator Hal Miller, Jill Tavella she said she did not report the injury for two weeks because "her husband was out of town and she was taking care of her three children."

It had not occurred to her to report the injury until her husband suggested it when he got home, she told investigators.

(emphasis added) Right there she says her husband was out of town. So, was he in town and he took her to get medical treatment, or was he out of town and she went by herself to get treatment? If he did take her to the medical center, what, did he decide to leave his wife who had a (possibly very) severe injury at home by herself for two weeks and then think it would be a good idea to report it?

Either the news article is messing up the facts, or that lady is getting her facts mixed up. Or I'm looking into this way too deeply.

You are not looking into it too deeply.. I noticed it too, and on the first time that I read it. From that article it just does not add up. But like you said, the news does not always get things right.

Guest rcfreak339

When I rode SoB in early 2006 I absolutly loved the coaster, I experienced some heavy jolting but I love it when wooden coaster shakes a lot....But the last time I rode SoB in early 2008 I had one of the most horrid feelings Ive ever had. All through out the ride it felt as if my chest was about to implode. I'm in perfect condition to ride any coaster, and from talking to other coaster people this is kind of normal in some. I will never ride SoB again if some major renovation happens. I think the ride will reopen but if another occurrence like this happens again (If you think the girl is fooling us, check the history of the ride and you will get that she was hurt by SoB, If you don't think she did your kidding yourself) it will be the last straw. Do I want SoB gone? No. I see so much potential, but it' just not happening. Even if you think SoB is a great ride you have to agree it could be 100x better then it is....

actually, in theory it sounded good. From everything ive seen from the interviews of the designers and builders they all thought it was going to be the next best coaster out there. They were playing off of The Beast which is such a big draw. The year it opened, they had season pass preview night, and the year before im pretty sure they had that giant box out with noises. It was super hyped, and with great success. I can remember going to it first thing like the second week or so it was open. We arrived when the park opened and walked straight to it, still getting a 45 min wait which was nothing. It really was all good, well that is until it was down for design flaws among many other things. did they ever get any money over the lawsuit from the developer? anyone know?

i think they were going for original old school Woodie to go along with the whole beast aspect of the ride, which most companies probably wouldn't touch at that height which is most likely why they went with such an unknown company.

Guest rcfreak339

Umm the idea of a wooden hypercoaster is not a fail....El Toro is how high? About 25 feet lower then a hyper? And how good is El Toro?

iThe reason why it does have problems is because Paramount hired a un experienced builder...

Rough or not, I am just impressed with the fact they had the balls to build such a monster. We all knew a woodie that big was gonna be a rough mother, all woodies are to an extent, then make one that goes that fast? It had to be expected. But regardless, we all get on it and endure the ride. For me, it was the loop. Didn't matter how rough it was, I wanted to go through that loop on a woodie, was just so awesome in my mind. Yes i could do without the rosebowl, the one on The Beast is rough enough, the Son is just too fast for that kind of element. This year was my first year back since the "remodel", and naturally it gets closed, so I have no idea what it is like now, heck I'm not even positive how the track is where the loop was...Now I do think them buying those used trains from the Pavilion was a big mistake, just a bad band-aid. They should experiment more with different trains I think. As far as this woman who filed this complaint, I think they knew how easy it would be to say hey, that coaster did this to me, and I think there will more like her down the road. Poor Sonny has a bad rep, so people are going to find ways to cash in on it. Most people know how woodies are, and anyone who comes to the park and looks at that monster knows it is not going a very smooth ride.

Guest rcfreak339
Rough or not, I am just impressed with the fact they had the balls to build such a monster. We all knew a woodie that big was gonna be a rough mother, all woodies are to an extent, then make one that goes that fast? It had to be expected. But regardless, we all get on it and endure the ride. For me, it was the loop. Didn't matter how rough it was, I wanted to go through that loop on a woodie, was just so awesome in my mind. Yes i could do without the rosebowl, the one on The Beast is rough enough, the Son is just too fast for that kind of element. This year was my first year back since the "remodel", and naturally it gets closed, so I have no idea what it is like now, heck I'm not even positive how the track is where the loop was...Now I do think them buying those used trains from the Pavilion was a big mistake, just a bad band-aid. They should experiment more with different trains I think. As far as this woman who filed this complaint, I think they knew how easy it would be to say hey, that coaster did this to me, and I think there will more like her down the road. Poor Sonny has a bad rep, so people are going to find ways to cash in on it. Most people know how woodies are, and anyone who comes to the park and looks at that monster knows it is not going a very smooth ride.

Possible, Anyone can say "I got hurt from SoB!" and looking at the history I would even believe it.

Design = fail. Using RCCA = bonus fail.

Design = fail. Using RCCA = bonus fail = epic fail.

I haz math skillz! I haz 'em!

Rough or not, I am just impressed with the fact they had the balls to build such a monster.

Very true... it was quite a gamble.

i think they were going for original old school Woodie to go along with the whole beast aspect of the ride, which most companies probably wouldn't touch at that height which is most likely why they went with such an unknown company.

I couldn't agree more, and why did RCCA go out of business?

RCCA was an un experienced builder, and they might have been the lowest bidder to.