Action Zone

KI FANATIC 37

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been done. Disney built an entire park in a parking lot. It was an adventure for them, out in California. Meanwhile, across town, Six Flags just put coasters in theirs, while leaving the striping in place. It was, among other things, a scream...while almost all the way on the other coast they did the same with a great American machine of the same, yet different, ilk. Not to be outdone, Cedar Fair let a coaster dominate a former parking lot in the new part of the Old Dominion.

Terpy, he'll be here all week folks!

Really though Action Zone does look like a parking lot. But I can't see it being lush at all; it just wouldn't give me the feeling of "action". I like concrete. But it does get hot over there in the summer, and it would be good to have some trees or maybe several picnic tables with tents above them.

It's been done. Disney built an entire park in a parking lot. It was an adventure for them, out in California. Meanwhile, across town, Six Flags just put coasters in theirs, while leaving the striping in place. It was, among other things, a scream...while almost all the way on the other coast they did the same with a great American machine of the same, yet different, ilk. Not to be outdone, Cedar Fair let a coaster dominate a former parking lot in the new part of the Old Dominion.

Terpy, he'll be here all week folks!

Thank you Terpy that just made my day :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I love every area in Kings Island, but what do you think they could in Action Zone to make it better. I know I have said this before but I think they should tear down Congo Falls and build a nice coaster. No Diamondback but just a good coaster like BLSC? Tell me what you think?

Never Close down Congo Falls

Really though Action Zone does look like a parking lot. But I can't see it being lush at all; it just wouldn't give me the feeling of "action". I like concrete. But it does get hot over there in the summer, and it would be good to have some trees or maybe several picnic tables with tents above them.

The blacktop in most of the other parts of the park is a lot hotter than concrete.

I think a Euro-Fighter would fit really well in Action Zone. If they took out Thunder Alley and put the queue and station in that space they could have it intertwine with SOB assuming it's still there. It would offer some really nice head choppers.

I agree!! That would be very nice and compact. It could be done.

::I apologize in advance for the dreadful paint image, but I think you'll get the point::

Well, here's my thought for a way to "fix" the traffic problems in Action Zone (provided the removal of SOB and the go karts).

The only major hurdle would be relocating AZ's bathrooms to an area more central to the water tower plaza.

My idea is to turn each of the paths that go out from the plaza into their respecive ride's entrances.

New signs over each path would mimic the large poster-poles that surround the water tower. The former FD/SoB path would become the new entrance/exit for Flight Deck with the main sign right over the path, Drop Zone's entrance would be moved up (and a gate next to the entrance would allow the path from Timberwolf to still exit here, The path that leads back to Invertigo would become the ride's entrance (although a similar set up to DT would allow the Timber Wolf traffic to still exit this way. Delirium's entrance is already right off the plaza, and the SkyCoaster's entrance could easily be right off the plaza. Add some landscaping (the green spray paint) and some new signage and I think it would be pretty decent.

This way, guests coming in to the area would be directed around the "loop" to browse at the different attractions, instead of meandering down several small paths which are all dead ends.

azrevised-1.jpg

You are aware there are existing restrooms over by Invertigo, right?

Yes, I didn't write to my illustration very well. I wanted the "new" entrance to Invertigo to be right up on the plaza, but in the interest of keeping the restrooms I pushed it back. I'm not sure that a smaller land like AZ needs 2 restroom facilities. The go karts could also stay under this plan, but I think that a new attraction built on the SOB site would use that space for the entrance, queue, and possibly the station.