Best haunt to go through?

gigacoaster2k

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urgent Scare was a big let down for me... I am thinking something along the lines of "Dawn Of The Dead" kind of attraction, which is what US was supposed to be.

The outside was more fun than inside. Inside seemed way to cramped, and I felt that the actors felt that too. Don't get me started on that LOUD & ANNOYING siren!

Sorry, but i felt it was a fail. If i were able to do the Urgent Scare theming, i would not take away from the story. But build... the scareactors can do anything (themepark appropriate) that they want to scare you, but touch you. I would expand the theming out into the midway to the corner near Juke Box Diner. have "zombies" all over the place, NOT talking in full sentences. (The quiet scareactors get far better scares in my opinion.) I would use extended queue for more control.

All the open attractions names would change to fit the theme. Similar to what Busch Gardens Tampa has done in the past with Kumba (Doomba), Montu(Montomb), etc.

Change the white strobes in FOF launch to red, run it with the lights on with splotches of "blood" on the head choppers and several other supports, maybe hang a dummy on the MCBR holding a sign that says "Lights Out!", lights go off for the rest of the ride. This way your eyes wont have time to adjust to the darkness and will disorient you more.

Urgent Scare was a big let down for me... I am thinking something along the lines of "Dawn Of The Dead" kind of attraction, which is what US was supposed to be.

The outside was more fun than inside. Inside seemed way to cramped, and I felt that the actors felt that too. Don't get me started on that LOUD & ANNOYING siren!

Sorry, but i felt it was a fail. If i were able to do the Urgent Scare theming, i would not take away from the story. But build... the scareactors can do anything (themepark appropriate) that they want to scare you, but touch you. I would expand the theming out into the midway to the corner near Juke Box Diner. have "zombies" all over the place, NOT talking in full sentences. (The quiet scareactors get far better scares in my opinion.) I would use extended queue for more control.

All the open attractions names would change to fit the theme. Similar to what Busch Gardens Tampa has done in the past with Kumba (Doomba), Montu(Montomb), etc.

Change the white strobes in FOF launch to red, run it with the lights on with splotches of "blood" on the head choppers and several other supports, maybe hang a dummy on the MCBR holding a sign that says "Lights Out!", lights go off for the rest of the ride. This way your eyes wont have time to adjust to the darkness and will disorient you more.

Actually US was more along the lines of 28 Weeks Later and 28 Days Later.. More of a Rage virus than regular old Zombies.

The last third of the maze was the weakest portion of Urgent Scare, traveling around a few wrecked cars. It felt like a trimmed-down version of worksite. I would've rather seen them try to install store facades for the exit, to simulate going through the small town in the wake of the virus to really hit the point of it being uncontrollable. But I guess considering worksite isn't coming back this year, all of its props will go to Urgent Scare to improve on the last third of the maze.

...Sorry, but i felt it was a fail. If i were able to do the Urgent Scare theming, i would not take away from the story. But build... the scareactors can do anything (themepark appropriate) that they want to scare you, but touch you. I would expand the theming out into the midway to the corner near Juke Box Diner. have "zombies" all over the place, NOT talking in full sentences. (The quiet scareactors get far better scares in my opinion.) I would use extended queue for more control.

That would be sweet, especially the part about Flight of Fear. But, that would never happen in my opinion because it would probably be too much work for them to get the lights to do that, and to hand the bodies and put the blood on. Also, I don't think they would want blood on the supports year round.

And yes, they need to have more extended queues for some of the haunts. The lines were really messed up last year.

I really enjoyed Death Row last year. Now, I don't typically go to haunted attractions such as this because they're really not my "thing." But I had to act as a chaperone (spelling?) For my younger brother and his girlfriend last year so I ended up going to Haunt with them. And although we only went through two attractions (Death Row and Trail of Terror) I enjoyed Death Row the most. Maybe it's because me having never been to a haunted attraction before left me with lower expectations than the rest of you, but I still thought it was good. The actors in there really know what they're doing, and the maze itself really aggravated (spelling?) My claustrophobia, so I can honestly say I was absolutely terrified, which is the whole point of haunted stuff like this, right? :P

Guest TombraiderTy

I was honestly a bit disappinted by Urgent Scare. There are many common medical fears, and I feel like the park failed to take advantage of these. One thing that really disappointed me was the absence of medical needles from the attraction (although later in the season, I noticed a couple scareactors had over-sized, unrealistic medical needles with them). If the park could've pulled off an effect like this (Warning- gruesome video, mature audiences only ;)), it would've been the highlight of the maze.

I would have to say my favorite haunts would be urgent scare and massacre mansion. Although I did think carnevil was pretty good. Hope this years great!

P.s. I'm typing on a brand spankin new iPod touch.....so that's why there might he a lot of misspellings....hahah :)

I do not think Urgent Scare was that bad and it was much better then some of the others. I will say the "decontamination", while it may have been neat effect on a warmer night, was uncalled for on a night that had dipped down in the low 40s. (Sorry if put out a spoiler)

QUOTE (Jason B @ Sep 16 2009, 03:53 PM)
I do not think Urgent Scare was that bad and it was much better then some of the others. I will say the "decontamination", while it may have been neat effect on a warmer night, was uncalled from on a night that had dipped down in the low 40s. (Sorry if put out a spoiler)

i highly agree, its a great way to catch pnuemonia and what not.

Guest TombraiderTy

The decontamination was a great touch- when it worked. The times it just dripped water on guests wasn't all that great, but when it remained mist, it was a nice effect (even if it was a tad cold). Making it look more like a decontamination set-up than a mister-tent would've been nice, however ;)

I was honestly a bit disappinted by Urgent Scare. There are many common medical fears, and I feel like the park failed to take advantage of these....

Perhaps about 10 minutes after each patron leaves the attraction, a scareactor, dressed as a postal employee, can present the most frightful part of most medical care these days....the bill.

My favorite house still has to be Massacre Manor. Its fantastically done, Ill never forget the first time I went through it and in that final room the fog was so thick I had to impersonate Frankenstein's walk because I couldnt see anything.

Trail of Terror, and Urgent Scare are not far behind it.

I've always hated Tombstone Terrortory/Headless Hollow, but for the design and layout of the attraction, NOT due to the talent in the maze.

Anyway, my all-time favorite maze has to be Sleepy Hollow Horror, which is now Cut-Throat Cove. Everything about the maze (design, talent, sound, etc) wowed me year after year, especially after it moved to Mining Company in 2006 as Cowboy Carnage. The only gripe I had about the maze was the strobe light being the only form of illumination and it being pitch-black in the maze (which is why I hated the first half of 2004's Curse of the Crypt and the heartbeat-styled strobe light). Thankfully, they got rid of the strobe light in '07 when it was changed to Red Beard's Revenge and it still remains my top maze, beating out Club Blood and narrowly skidding past Urgent Scare.

I went through a handful last year, Tombstone Terrortory, Redbeards Revenge, Trail Of Terror, and The Worksite. The best in my opinion was by far Trail Of Terror. It has some points where you don't know where you are or what is going to come out at you next. Give this one a try.

Best haunt, for me was Redbeards Revenge (Does anyone know if Cut Throat Cove will be in the same spot?) because it was my sisters birthday when we went. We told the guy our front (Presumably Redbeard) that it was her birthday. When he opened the door to have us go through, he yelled in there: "We have a birthday girl comin through, mates, give 'em yer best scare!" When all the guys jumped out at us, they screamed 'Happy Birthday, yarrr!'. Sometimes the best haunts are the funny ones.

Urgent Scare, in my opinion, was kind of the same thing over and over again. The first minute or so was cool, but then it was predictable that you were going to go around another sheet and see some kind of sorta-scary medical scene. I'd still go through it again, though.

The WORST was the train ride/old west town trail (forget the name?). We waited over an hour for the train. Finally got on the train and then it stopped, which was just about the only scary/cool part. But then, lo and behold, nothing could have scared us more on the tracks than... another line! Aaaahhh!! After waiting in that line, we were walked down the WWC boardwalk, passing by some very predictable crates with teenagers behind them. They all shook milk jugs full of rocks at us. Oooh, scary! I will never wait for that one again.

I think one of the coolest parts is just walking around the park in the Halloween and adult atmosphere. The rides are creepier at night and you never know what's going to come around the corner. One year, many years ago, my sister got cornered in the ATM booth at the front of the park by a zealous ghoul. It was fabulous because that ATM is lit up inside and she had a whole crowd of people outside laughing at her. Priceless.

Has anyone done the RIP tour? It's pretty expensive, so I'm wondering if it's worth it: http://visitkingsisland.com/visit/visit_vip.cfm

I'm just going to talk about the attractions. Just because I love talking about Haunt!

One thing I like to stress is how KI uses artists over masks. Knott's Haunt, Universal...I see a lot of masks....KI uses VERY talented artists! Kudos to how awesome they are.

KI also has a few 'original' Haunts.

-Tombstone: Who else encorperates a ride, let alone a train in their attraction? Brilliant.

-Urgent Scare: Nothing else like it out there.

-Trail of Terror: KI's own back woods

Best haunt, for me was Redbeards Revenge (Does anyone know if Cut Throat Cove will be in the same spot?) because it was my sisters birthday when we went.

No it is not in that spot anymore, nothing is except the q-line for Diamondback.

Cut Throat Cove is elsewhere in the park. Oktoberfest I believe. Could be wrong.

^The Haunt map indicates that Cut Throat Cove is on the patio of Outer Hank's.

One thing I like to stress is how KI uses artists over masks. Knott's Haunt, Universal...I see a lot of masks....KI uses VERY talented artists! Kudos to how awesome they are.

I second that! Last year I got in touch with one of Carowind's Club Blood employees. He sent me some pictures of their attraction, and I sent him pictures of ours. Almost everyone in their Club Blood was wearing masks... and some of them you could see their necks, which weren't painted in any way. If I remember correctly, he liked the look of our makeup better than their masks too.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow to see CP's attractions, and how their scareacters look!

Then I was right lol

I'm looking forward to tomorrow to see CP's attractions, and how their scareacters look!

I been to both Knott's Berry Farm (multiple times and maybe again this yr) and Cedar Point for their Halloween events. They both rely mostly on prosthetics (and masks), not really makeup :P (except on most vampires)

They also do not use gore the way we do. Some friends I have out at Knott's say they wouldn't mind working our event, lol.

Hope you enjoy the visit tho!