How would you describe Son of Beast's roughness?

McSalsa

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I'm back and have a new poll. While asking a friend what Son of Beast's roughness is like, he told me "it's like driving at 100mph over potholes." And thus, this SOB poll. How would you describe SOB's roughness?

I have never ridden SOB and thus cannot vote...

Enjoy the poll. If you don't like it, click back.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would I describe Son of Beast? I'd probably say Amazing, KI's best woodie, under-rated, thrilling, exhilarating, a work of art, one of the most revolutionary roller coasters of all time, hated by most people, loved by me, beautiful, bad reputation, forceful, fast, tall, oh wait. I just realized it said roughness at the end... Well in that case, I'd say "what roughness?"

^ To be honest, I'm kind of lost with your logic. I honestly can't see how one ride is rough to generally everyone who rides it except for you. (I'd say literally everyone, except that is a bit of an assumption that I could see biting me in the butt if someone asks, "So, you've interviewed everyone who's ridden SoB?") Sure, there are certain ways to ride rides to make them less uncomfortable- I lean forward on Mean Streak to receive a semi-smooth ride- but that doesn't make the whole ride smooth. You're just anticipating the effects more than the other riders. So how is it that SoB, which makes my neck and chest hurt when ridden in basically any seat except 1-1, automatically behaves itself when you're around? Do you send such fear down its support beams that it knows better than to jackhammer your train? If so... you, sir, had better be around in 2010 if that ride's open. I want all the first drop's airtime of the back seat without all the neck-spraining jackhammering of the rose bowl afterwards. ;)

EDIT: I'm not saying this like I'm attacking your opinion of the ride- if you like it, so be it. All I'm saying is that roughness isn't overly subjective...

I can see them doing a similar thing to what Coney Island did with Clipper in 1946. Clipper, which was never a very popular ride, was replaced with arguably Coney's best roller coaster of all time. Clipper had more of a Mean Streak aerial view, with a few twisting drops, and a few straight drops. The Shooting Star was a simple, L-shaped out and back coaster, but with no curved drops.

I personally think Clipper looks much more fun than The Shooting Star, but The Shooting Star's simpler ride experience was apparently much better, and was much more popular.

The pictures on RCDB are of The Shooting Star. I can post pictures of Clipper later, if I have enough time.

http://www.rcdb.com/2040.htm

How would I describe Son of Beast? I'd probably say Amazing, KI's best woodie, under-rated, thrilling, exhilarating, a work of art, one of the most revolutionary roller coasters of all time, hated by most people, loved by me, beautiful, bad reputation, forceful, fast, tall, oh wait. I just realized it said roughness at the end... Well in that case, I'd say "what roughness?"

I absolutely agree 100%. I picked that the roughness was like going 30 miles and hour over small bumps with good suspension though, because it is a wooden coaster. However I find it no rougher than The Beast or The Racer. I love Son of Beast, and do not find it painfully rough WHATSOEVER. It is an amazing ride that is truly a masterpiece.

Uhmm......no offense but.....are you ok? I mean like, had a Cat-Scan and you're ok?....I fear for someone who likes SOB like that....

Just kidding, but I still have trouble believing the ride can actually not hurt, let alone be likable....I just hope in 10 years when Son of B*** is removed, something else is standing in it's place, maybe even the Sob Obsessers will forget it.

Here, let me re-arrange that post to fit my opinion:

How would I describe Son of Beast? I'd probably say...KI's..hated..woodie...bad...roughness..Well in that case, I'd say "what Amazing?"

Uhmm......no offense but.....are you ok? I mean like, had a Cat-Scan and you're ok?....I fear for someone who likes SOB like that....

Just kidding, but I still have trouble believing the ride can actually not hurt, let alone be likable....I just hope in 10 years when Son of B*** is removed, something else is standing in it's place, maybe even the Sob Obsessers will forget it.

Here, let me re-arrange that post to fit my opinion:

How would I describe Son of Beast? I'd probably say...KI's..hated..woodie...bad...roughness..Well in that case, I'd say "what Amazing?"

I just have different tastes in coasters. I do enjoy riding a smooth B&M, but I'd much rather be riding a woodie in most cases. And why do people keep wanting it removed? Does no one enjoy it being there at all? I understand if you don't like the ride it's self but it's a work of art and is different from every wooden coaster out there. Maybe not in the best way, but it's still one of the most revolutionary coasters ever and should be respected atleast a little bit.

5 Words have surrounded the removal idea for years.

Imagine what could go there....

IMO, there's tons of better things that could go there (If your so fond of woodies, how about a GG?) then the 200 foot, painful, down half the time, costly, lawsuit sparking, Son of Beast.

Honestly, what is the likelihood that whatever is put there will be anything amazing or revolutionary? And what makes you think theyd put another woodie there. Im pretty sure Cedar Fair has had enough woodie inheritance problems, and would see them as VERY hesitant to put in another woodie, even in SOBs spot.

I voted Other. I think the roughness is somewhere in between the second and third options. I just now realized what I do for the rose bowl to make the ride experience a little smoother, though: Subconsciously, I learned to take my back off the back of the seat and loosen the upper half of my body so I don't get as rattled. I'm guessing that's why I don't think the ride is as rough as everyone else. I'll admit to feeling slightly rattled when I'm on the final brake run, but not enough to make me not want to ride my 4th favorite wooden coaster again.

^ Well that wasn't a completely unnecessary post, now was it?

And my ride was great by the way! As a ride on Son of Beast usually is awesome!

I can't wait for them to make an announcement about the ride (if that even happens), I really want a ride on ol' Sonny next season. It feels like it's been forever since I've been on Son of Beast, and I really really want a ride on it!

I really don't understand how people think Son of Beast is like riding an 80mph jackhammer. People say "oh, how is the ride so much better for you than it is me? What, does it calm down when you get on??" My question for you is how do you think it's that rough? Do the wheels on the car turn into squares when you guys get on...? I don't really get how people could think it is like a giant shaking you or riding an 80mph jackhammer.

I think it's an absolutely gorgeous structure and was so thrilled to ride it, once. Which was a total disapointment, just like it was on my first trip to KI since they built it, when was down from the 06' incident. It continues to amaze me...that ones for your Terpy.