Kings Island's 5@5 Q&A Thread

bkroz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the questions and answers for Monday's 5@5.

Q: Austin Benton - What happens to all the old theming stuff...like were is all the nick stuff going...the dumpster or storage or someplace different?

A: Austin, if you've ever been on a tour of our sign shop, you'll notice we don't throw away much. We keep a lot of the old signs from rides such as King Cobra. We'll re-use some things and other stuff we may return to those holding the license.

---------------------------

Q: Matt Funderburg - Is there a reason why Boomerang Bay closes at 7pm and not at 10pm (like the rest of the park does)?

A: Great question! Yes, there is a reason, Matt. It's for safety purposes. Shadows begin to form in parts of the water in some attractions after 7:00pm. When these shadows form, it begins to hinder our lifeguards ability to have full visibility of the water.

Q: Jordan Hill - how well taken care of are the Phantom Theater characters in storage? When you put them out for Haunt each year they look more and more worn.

A: The props for Phantom Theater for Phantom Theater were beginning to show a lot of wear and tear towards the end of the ride's run. It was one of the reasons the decision was made to replace the ride. We keep the props in the best shape possible.

Q: Austin Benton - How long does it take to plan a new ride...like Diamondback...and how early do you begin planning for the next big thing?

A: It depends on what type of ride you're looking to build, usually 18-24 months in advance for a roller coaster the size of Diamondback. Work began at the site for Diamondback 18 months before the ride opened.

----------------------------

Q: Will Stratton - When did the park start making the decision to build Diamondback?

A: The decision to build Diamondback was made prior to the start of the 2007 season. We had arguably the greatest wooden roller coaster ever built in The Beast, but what we didn't have before Diamondback was that big, fast, steel monster. Diamondback was the type of ride our guests had been asking for.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=350652046948

Guest KINGSISLANDMASTER

I don't think any of us can take any stock in these names because for one I got names from Carawwinds, and old PKI names.....So IDK but I don't believe these names

There are 18 rides in Kings Island's kids area. So, if these names are true, (1.) One of these names will be for SDATHC, or (2.) There will be a new ride in Planet Snoopy next year...

Also, the wikipedia article says that Coney Mall's trampoline ride will be moved to Planet Snoopy, which sounds like a plausible idea. The bouncer at the Renaissance Fair is very popular, especially with younger children.

so, as for the kite eating tree, i could see that being the swings in Planet Snoopy, they could put a giant decal on the mechanical center that's a tree (which it is kind of tree shaped), then they could make the chains for the swings look like kite tails with a kite painted above each one.

A lot of great questions today. If we didn't answer yours please re-submit it for another day.

Q: Kyle Joyce - In the past few seasons, Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle as technically part of International Street. For the 2010 season, will it be considered part of Planet Snoopy, or International Street?

A: Kyle, our new dark ride experience will be listed as part of International Street and included in our listing of family rides.

Q: Travis Nuss - can you guys add more space to the park without affecting The Beast? ( sroundings and not destorying The Beast)

A: Travis, there is enough space to work with to build the park again, and it could be done without affecting the area where The Beast is.

Q: Adam Woltermann - How and where do you sign up for the tours at Kings Island to go behind the rides and in the sign shop and more?

A: Adam, the behind the screams tours are scheduled as part of an event the different enthusiasts groups such as the American Coaster Enthusiasts and Great Ohio Coaster Club may be having at the park. Often times these events include question and answer sessions with park officials, exclusive ride times and a picnic-style meal. The Beast and Sign Shop are two of the most popular tours.

Q: Alex Metz - What is the chance of seeing a charity event like Coasting For Kids at KI this year or next year?

A: Alex, Kings Island had a major charity event last year for the opening of Diamondback that raised more than $102,000 for the charity organization A Kid Again. We don't have any plans for a ride auction this year, but we will continue to do many of the things we have done in the past to help raise money for different charitable organizations including 5K walks for JDRF and A Kid Again in the spring, and the many contributions we make every year through our KI Cares program.

Q: Ryan Suhr - What is one interesting fact about Kings Island that no one seems to know?

A: Great question, Ryan. I think one of the things people don’t know is we're a city within a city. We have everything that you'd find in a city such as a post office, water, fire department, etc. Whatever a city needs to operate we have it here.

link

i never knew that Kings Island had it's own fire department. that was a really neat tid-bit of information. :)

Boo Blasters on Boo Hill isn't Snoopy-related...

At least, it isn't as far as three of the four other Paramount Parks are concerned. And the one that does associate it with the Peanuts franchise does it in passing and with no real detail given... Just sayin'!

I know it's not related, I'm just saying the parks that have their dark ride included with their Planet Snoopy have all gotten Boo Blasters, ours however is being kept seperate even thought it could easily be included with Planet Snoopy. So maybe we will receive something different. Maybe we won't.

I think Boo Blasters could go in Planet Snoopy, or could stay out of it. The same way Phantom Theater could be in Hanna-Barbera Land or be out of it, and Scooby Doo could be in Nick Universe or be out of it. So to me, their saying its included or excluded from Planet Snoopy makes no difference in my assumption of what the ride might become...

today's 5@5

Q: Chris Hughes - Are there any other rides besides the ones in PS that will be getting a new paint job before the park opens?

A: Some of the rides outside Planet Snoopy might get a touch up but they won't be entirely repainted.

Q: Michael Persen - Why is there a bottom deck on the Eiffel Tower?

A: The Eiffel Tower is a one-third scale replica of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France. When the park first opened in 1972, guests were able to walk up to the 50-foot level.

Q: Asa McCormick - What are some typical morning safety checks that happen on Diamondback?

A: Great question, Asa. Each ride in the park, Diamondback included, goes through a series of daily operational, mechanical and electrical tests. In addition, each ride is certified by the State of Ohio before the season opens. The State also conducts periodic reviews of each ride throughout the season.

Q: Nicholas Himes - Will there be a Media Preview day for Planet Snoopy this year, and if so will any members of the public be invited?

A: Nicholas, we are planning a media day for Planet Snoopy, but the public's first opportunity to experience the fresh new look of our kids' area will be when the park opens to the public April 17.

Q: Travis Nuss - will Son of Beast be open? i know you get asked this very often but, can i please have some feedback?

A: Travis, no decision has been made concerning the ride.

link

Q: Asa McCormick - What are some typical morning safety checks that happen on Diamondback?

A: Great question, Asa. Each ride in the park, Diamondback included, goes through a series of daily operational, mechanical and electrical tests. In addition, each ride is certified by the State of Ohio before the season opens. The State also conducts periodic reviews of each ride throughout the season.

Ummm. Nice answer? I wish they would've answered it more in depthly.