Top 3 Arrow Design Failures

Guest Millennium

The Suspended coaster model has always been how you say kinda lame.

What suspended coasters have you been on?

Only Flight Deck, though Coaster critics have said its the most "intense" of all of them, which to me doesn't say much as Flight Deck is pretty weak. Thought honestly my main compliant is how short it is... if it were a bit longer I wouldn't have any complaints.

I think the rumors we hear every year about them tearing it down just go to show its an unpopular coaster that no one cares about. We all know very well that Kings Island doesn't need to tear it down to get the extra space as they haven't even currently used half of the land they own. But many people talk about it being the first coaster to go even before Son of Beast because they secretly loath the lame-a-coaster and want it gone. Either that or they just hate the ridiculously long queue it has, which I agree the queue sucks and it isn't worth the short ride.

I will be riding my second suspended coaster "Iron Dragon" next week which honestly from POV videos, looks a bit more entertaining than flight deck as it at least has 2 lift hills.

An unpopular coaster that no one cares about? That's quite the assumption to make. I'd argue that there are many people on this website alone who care about and enjoy the ride very much, myself included. I would say, however, that there are a lot of people that think it is a good ride, an underrated ride, in need of some TLC.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno. I'm tired, and bored. Personally I'm impartial about Flight Deck, but i just think in general suspended coasters are lame and I don't see why theres an outcry to bring back The Bat. Do I want to see it tore down? Personally I don't care but it seems pointless to tear it down when for one thing it doesn't take up much space, and another thing Kings Island doesn't need the land. I typically ride it at least once every visit to KI, but I'm still impartial about it.

I think some of the younger generations on this site don't understand that at one point, Top Gun was considered a major addition to the park. While it is no longer a big thrill coaster - there are now much bigger at the park, it still serves a purpose in the KI lineup and is very enjoyable to many.

The suspended coaster was probably one of Arrow's greatest successes. Was it a "trend" coaster, the same as stand-ups or inverts? Sure. But it takes a lot of popularity to make it that point! And consider that many manufacturers are still today trying to come up with a follow-up for the suspended coaster, but can't seem to create a design with such charm and versatility.

Personally I'm impartial about Flight Deck, but i just think in general suspended coasters are lame and I don't see why theres an outcry to bring back The Bat.

Intresting that you use "suspended coasters" in the plural sense, yet have only been on one.

Bat was fantastic and BBW was a very good coaster. FD is decent, as is Vortex at CW, and ID is a nice leisurely stroll through the woods.

Intresting that you use "suspended coasters" in the plural sense, yet have only been on one.

Bat was fantastic and BBW was a very good coaster. FD is decent, as is Vortex at CW, and ID is a nice leisurely stroll through the woods.

I agree. Although I've only been on ID and FD, I think ID is more relaxed while FD is a fun, semi-intense ride.

And we need not even mention Big Bad Wolf, which was in my opinion (and the opinion of many) one of the best family coasters in the United States. The swinging ride design was absolutely perfect for the ride and its near-misses with a Bavarian village, and it had a finale that was to die for! It will be very missed...

I think some of the younger generations on this site don't understand that at one point, Top Gun was considered a major addition to the park. While it is no longer a big thrill coaster - there are now much bigger at the park, it still serves a purpose in the KI lineup and is very enjoyable to many.

Thats shows a ride does not have to be a mega monster to be worth installing.

snapback.pngCormaster, on 11 July 2010 - 03:38 PM, said:Why do people even care about The Bat? The Suspended coaster model has always been how you say kinda lame. See B&M inverted coaster, the TRUE replacement for the Arrow suspended coaster!

You obviously never rode The Bat (neither did I). NO ONE I ever knew who did thought it was lame. NO ONE.

The Bat was an awesome ride, at the time it was state of the art so to speak. It was not my normal ride to work as a rides op but I did work it on occasion and rode it many many times. The ride was like no other I ever experienced. That is why people care about The Bat. It is a part of history even if The Bat failed. To me it was a ground breaker.

I am just basing my opinion off what many have said saying Top Gun err flight deck (i really have a hard time calling it flight deck) is the longest and most intense of them all. Well its not very intense IMO and its a short ride. if it is the longest and most intense than what does that say about all the other inverted coasters out there "It starts off bad and only gets worse".

Now granted I do think Top Gun is a lot of fun, but its so freaking short! Maybe they should of bought the remains of Big Bad Wolf and made it twice as long! And you got to walk 2 miles through an empty queue to get to it! I will never understand wtf the park was thinking when they built that queue. Diamondback's queue isn't even HALF That size!

I am just basing my opinion off what many have said saying Top Gun err flight deck (i really have a hard time calling it flight deck) is the longest and most intense of them all.

Wow... where to start....

You are basing an opinion off of second hand information.

-and-

It is REALLY BAD information. You should really confirm your sources before using their knowledge and opinion as your own.

Yet your "opinion" does raise some questions:

Why does a coaster have to be intense to be good?

Why does a coaster have to be long to be good?

^Good point. Rides you find at Disney World may not be too intense (but their lengths are pretty long....) yet the rides are heavily themed, many effects, and they are all amazing. I find that better than a good coaster with Gs. I know, I'm weird.

Kings Island is a theme park. It has themed areas. It has themed rides. The designers who opened the park in 1972 would be shocked and ashamed that you do not consider it a theme park. Action Zone? Oktoberfest? Rivertown? Planet Snoopy? Boomerang Bay? Is it light? Sure. But it's there. Even in Backlot Stunt Coaster, The Crypt, Flight of Fear, The Beast... These rides are better themed than any Cedar Point has to offer, and it has actual themed areas.

You forget Disney is a Theme park KI is not. There is no way nor is it even plausible to compare the two.

I never said I was comparing Disney to KI.I just said that they have themed rides that are not intense, unlike other rides in MANY other parks are focused less on theme, but intensity and speed.

Kings Island is a theme park. It has themed areas. It has themed rides. The designers who opened the park in 1972 would be shocked and ashamed that you do not consider it a theme park. Action Zone? Oktoberfest? Rivertown? Planet Snoopy? Boomerang Bay? Is it light? Sure. But it's there. Even in Backlot Stunt Coaster, The Crypt, Flight of Fear, The Beast... These rides are better themed than any Cedar Point has to offer, and it has actual themed areas.

KI, and almost every other park out there, cannot be compared to Disney. It is a unfair comparison on many different levels.

CP also had themed areas, and if Beast is to be considered a themed ride, CP has numerous themed rides on the same level.

Now I do ask, how do you know that the designers would be shocked or ashamed at what KI is today? I would think they would be very happy that the park is still very popular and continues to not only improve itself but re-invent itself as well.

Guest Millennium

KI is a theme park--for anyone who says KI has NO theming--what is the queue for Flight of Fear? Is Firehawk NOT themed like you are a pilot? Even DB has snake trains and an outpost that is themed very nicely. KI might not be on par with Universal in terms of theming, but it is still there.

I have a Hula Girl Bobble Head in my car window but that does not mean my car is considered themed. Maybe it is not an Amusement Park but it is going in that direction. And I would venture to guess CF will be taking the park more towards a Amusement Park in the future than when Paramount tried to make it a full fledged theme park.

Guest Millennium

You talk about how you can't compare KI and Disney, but you are comparing FOF's queue line (which is very well done, with UFO's, TVs, aliens, lights, etc) to a hula girl bobblehead? :blink: I know you are kidding, but still. :P

I have no idea how this thread got off topic. :rolleyes:

My point was to be just because they have themed areas or a sign of a snake on a ride doesn't always mean or scream theme park. Yes KI I suppose would be a Theme park to a degree but as we all know and have seen that is slowly going away. Which is not a bad thing either. If you think about it everything in life has a theme.

^^^^ Ty Vortex. Back in the 70's KI to me was a true theme park.

Edit: Thru the 70's and 80's they had actual theming in the park. I mean everything. Uniforms included. It was amazing and nothing against our younger population here at KIC but you had to live it to experience it. Stories and such does it no Justice.

KI was certainly a theme park back in the 70's & 80's as it had themed areas.

It seems to me, that at one time, themed areas made a theme park- a theme park. Now it seems that themed areas are not necessary, but for a park to call itself "themed" it has to have themed rides.

KI was certainly a theme park back in the 70's & 80's as it had themed areas.

It seems to me, that at one time, themed areas made a theme park- a theme park. Now it seems that themed areas are not necessary, but for a park to call itself "themed" it has to have themed rides.

Is Disney's Hollywood Studios a theme park? And yet it's areas are Echo Lake, Hollywood Blvd., Mickey Avenue... What about Epcot? It is not the idea of "World Showcase" that makes Epcot a theme park, it's the themed pavilions and attractions. I wager than you can't rightly have one without the other, and that theme is nowadays misconstrued as being the same as product tie-in, but still...