What`s next for Son of Beast?

fighting31irish

^^

Uh-Oh. Do not ride Delirium any time soon, or risk being flung into the air by a massive B&M Inverted (Added that part because of Kingsrattler's post right above mine) Stand-Up Coaster rising from the ground really fast. And, to make things worse, when you come down you're going to crash into Son of Beast. :P

After riding B&M's contributions to Universal Islands of Adventure, something along those lines would sure look better than the wooden "Hulk" we see now...

It's about time someone other than IOA got a Dueling Inverted Beemer... ;)

Just thinking what they could do with the SOB. they should make a roller coster inside the Son of Beasts skeleton name it revenge of The Beast ? It would loop in and out of the old SOB framework.

Only if it has steel track painted blue.....

• Like 4

Just thinking what they could do with the SOB. they should make a roller coster inside the Son of Beasts skeleton name it revenge of The Beast ? It would loop in and out of the old SOB framework.

Either way, if it's opened or closed, there's probably never going to be another 'Beast Family' ride.

Also just a thought, if The Beast's son was SoB, what was The Beastie? Its baby brother, I guess.

I still think they should let the train come out of the station, make the turn to go up the hill and then it returns to the station. (don't forget to take the picture). Then it could be called You Little SOB.

• Like 1

C'mon give SoB it's just due. It is by far not only the biggest failure in KI's history, but argueably the biggest failure in amusement history (of course only compared to non-fatal rides, which SoB will one day be accused of).

I don't see how it could ever be claimed to have been fatal. I mean technically, I have ridden every coaster at KI (minus SoB) and one day I guess I will die, having previously ridden them so...

Then again, I've heard people claim that rides were fatal when they absolutely were not. For example, my girlfriend's dad swears not only that The Bat derailed once, but that he had ridden it earlier that day. And a good friend of my mom's once tried to claim that "The batman coaster" formerly at KI was closed because it cut a girl's legs off, and refused to believe when I said that it was the SUPERMAN ride, which was a Drop Tower at KENTUCKY KINGDOM.

C'mon give SoB it's just due. It is by far not only the biggest failure in KI's history, but argueably the biggest failure in amusement history (of course only compared to non-fatal rides, which SoB will one day be accused of).

I don't see how it could ever be claimed to have been fatal. I mean technically, I have ridden every coaster at KI (minus SoB) and one day I guess I will die, having previously ridden them so...

Then again, I've heard people claim that rides were fatal when they absolutely were not. For example, my girlfriend's dad swears not only that The Bat derailed once, but that he had ridden it earlier that day. And a good friend of my mom's once tried to claim that "The batman coaster" formerly at KI was closed because it cut a girl's legs off, and refused to believe when I said that it was the SUPERMAN ride, which was a Drop Tower at KENTUCKY KINGDOM.

I've heard about a Bat derailment, too, from two separate people. If an ambulance were called, I'd think surely it would make the news, but one person who tells me this story was an EMF(?) and the other guy is a priest who claims he saw The Bat fiberglass front of the car smashed.

I highly doubt Bat never caused an injury. Especially then, many injuries never received media attention. Heck, back then, many injuries probably didn't even get reported to the park. They were oft considered merely a part of the experience..."it's a ride...."

It was a different time, it was a simpler time.

• Like 2

I have found something VERY interesting that SOB fans and those who have never ridden it (like me) may enjoy. It's a POV video of Son of Beast, apparently officially taken by the park (or maybe some old TV show) because it is a mounted camera. And it is from SOB's opening year, 2000 (King Cobra standing & visible, Crane standing near ride, etc etc), so it features the original trains and loop. Here it is, enjoy:

WARNING: YOU MAY NOT WANT VOLUME AT 100%...the chain lift is super loud! :wacko: They do skip past it quickly, though...

• Like 1

Over the years, I've been lucky enough to have worked with a few coaster video shoots - one for FOF and one for Diamondback. People would get to ride the ride over and over and over again. I can't imagine what happened to the poor souls who had to do that on Son of Beast.

Anyone remember the footage of those riders? There was a kid up front wearing goggles on his head...

I still will never understand why they decided to put the on ride camera where they did. Moving it to the spot where the loop used to be was a good idea. My last ride on Sonny I had a picture that I still wish I would purchased.

*sigh* I miss Son of Beast. I wish they would just announce what they are going to do with it. It was a great ride, but the amount of free with admission, ride-able rides at KI is dwindling... The Crypt, Son of Beast, Action Theater. I wish they would either reopen it or put something in its place.

• Like 1

^^ Bat NEVER derailed. Bat NEVER caused an injury.

Top Gun/ Flightdeck was involved in a collision, but had no injuries.

King Cobra derailed when it was new causing minor injuries:

http://news.google.c...pg=5605,5153697

These stories are often pieced together due to memory loss (expected) and billed as one.

^^ Bat NEVER derailed. Bat NEVER caused an injury.

Top Gun/ Flightdeck was involved in a collision, but had no injuries.

King Cobra derailed when it was new causing minor injuries:

http://news.google.c...pg=5605,5153697

These stories are often pieced together due to memory loss (expected) and billed as one.

And both made the news. The way The Bat was constructed, like Top Gun, you are surrounded completely by the ride and have a lot of leeway if one car collided with another. I think it is a misconstruction of facts, too, even though the priest told me his story before Top Gun was in existence. Even if he did see the car smashed, it could have been done when it was transported from storage.

I don't believe there ever was, Gordon. I had heard similar rumor back in the day about a girl who had fallen from The Bat...supposedly. Never saw any news about that one either.

Terp, people often forget that way back in the early days of coasters, it was a badge of courage to walk away from certain coasters alive and bruised.