Scariest Moments

stephenmayes

Ok I was looking at some old topics (simply because its a Sunday afternoon and there is nothing else to do in Podunct Mt. Vernon Ohio, and I saw a thread tha really caught my interest. So since its been a year lets talk about it again shall we?

What is everyones scariest moment at the park, or most Nerve Racking?

Steve

laugh.gif That would have to be the first time I rode TR:TR. Scared me because I thought I was falling out of the restraints that were forcefully pushing down... Another time when I was on FoF we blasted off and I noticed a visable amount of light at the end of the tunnel and suddenly a huge amount of track flashed brightly in front of my face... that really scared me. biggrin.gif (They had turned the lights on in there for some reason.) (All of them) blink.gif

Mines quite well known...if you know about my FOF experience in '02...yeah...ask me some time...its a long story...

I think we all have a lot of time on this Sunday afternoon...

Anywho, my scariest experience was the first time I rode Drop Zone. I remember looking up the tower and thinking, "it's not THAT high." So I got in the 2 hour line and waited. was kinda small then so I couldnt really see my friend. When we started to go up I was freaked out by the fact that there was no floor. When we got to the top I remember the whole thing shaking. I thought for SURE it was goin to fall down the ground and i was gonna die. We waited...and waited...clunk. My legs flew up my heart pounded and i remember trying to find something to hold on to but when i did the ride was over. After we got off i saw somebody kiss the ground. Literally.

Edited by crosscountry4891

I searched all of the Archives and only found a handful of stories related to PKI. So unless you were involved with OSHA fines, the Top Gun collision with the maintenance truck, the woman dying on Top Gun or the closing of Drop Zone and King Kobra in reply to deaths at other parks then either your experiences were at other parks or they aren't in the archives. If you could provide more info then maybe I (and others) could see what your response to the question would be...

As for me it would have to be stuck on The Beast on the opening run at the top of the first lift hill for nearly 30 minutes. Not that I really minded but it was as scary as my experiences have gotten. Either that or getting stuck on TR:TR before the ride even lifted at all.

Andy

My scariest moment was on the Zodiac (The double ferris wheel). I remember my older brother and I rode it and when we got to the top, (the other end is at the bottom loading/unloading/or nothing since at one point they stopped loading one side...), my older brother decided to spin the cage. ohmy.gif

That my friends was my scariest moment. Having a spinning cage at whatever height that ride got to. Needless to say I never rode it again. (RIP Zodiac)

Edited by coasterdudeOH

My first time on Drop Zone ranks the highest for my scariest moment.

As for me it would have to be stuck on The Beast on the opening run at the top of the first lift hill for nearly 30 minutes.
My uncle was in the front seat on that exact opening run. He tells me the story all the time and he was scared sh*tless after that. And derbeast it just wasn't getting stuck on the lift, it was at the top and cresting over, and the power went out in the park. My uncle hung facing straight down for 30 minutes. You would also be scared sh*tless as well. dry.gif Edited by sobrider

My scariest moment definitaly has to be one particular ride on The Vortex. I was so afraid it was gonna break and then to make it worse, my brother tells me that the restraints hadnt been workin that day! Then, he says wouldnt it suck if the restraints came open on the corkscrew! I was sooo scared and when I got to the station, I was happy i was alive. I now am afraid of The Vortex corkscrews but it is still my favorite ride!

Haha..That is pretty funny...being his brother I am in fact the one that told him that. Its not that he is "scared" to ride the ride it is just that now everytime he/I go throught the Corkscrew it makes him think of the "what if". I know it wont happen but anyone can scare themselves with almost any thought..

STeve

Since you work at PKI you should know that we are not allowed to get into specifics...

I don't like this topic, "I got stuck on a lift, wow that is scary."

I didn't know that you couldn't get into specifics about your scariest moment. I've heard my fair share of stories that I can't repeat and understand the reason for that but I was under the impression we were telling the stories we could tell.

As for my "stuck on the lift hill" experience I should have added a LOL because it was entirely sarcastic. Nothing scary has ever happened to me at the park and therefore the "scariest moment" wasn't so scary. I even mentioned that in my post.

Sorry to confuse.

Andy

well, my scariest moment was on SoB last season, 2003.

I was on SoB is the first row, left side of a car. It was my second ride on a double ride tuesdays. On the way up the lift, the front of my car kept bouncing up and down off the track. Both rows in the back were full, so it was probably a weight issue. On my first ride in that seat, there was a guy next to me. But after a pretty rough ride, he got off spewing expletives. (Sh*t! That is the f-ing worst ride i have ever f-ing been on!)

Mine isn't a scary moment but a worst moment. I was in line for SOB and this guy gets behind me and he keeps on complaing about the park. Mouthing about the wait for this ride that last for a couple of minutes. We got up there and me and him both wanted the first seat, so I had to hear him mouth more. It was cold and it was November First. They told us that we they were only running another load, so he ran his mouth to the employee's. We all were in the first car. All thourgh the ride he cussed about the park. He got of and yelled he would never be back, his friend was so embaressed. So that is the only bad exprince at the park.

Jake biggrin.gif

Edited by PkiJake13

This is kind of a stupid experience that seems like nothing now, but I was scared at the time. It was the first year that AE was opened, and I had ridden it a few times already. This time they stopped the train on the lift hill inside the tunnel so they could load another train. I hadn't ever seen this done any other time that I had ridden the ride. The voice over the loud speaker asked us to, "Please remain seated and stay calm." Stay calm?? Anyway, we sat there for about a minute and the lights and everything went off (the train was supposed to be out of the tunnel by then). It was pretty dark and there and it made it seem like they had some kind of power failure or something. I was so ready for the next train to go ripping into the tunnel and plow into us. We sat there for a good 5 minutes before they powered everything up again and the train began to move. Since then, I've been stopped in the tunnel many times (although never that long) and I know that they do it for loading/unloading reasons, but when I was 6 years old, it was pretty scary!

Not really a *scary* moment for me, more of a *shiver* moment:

One summer (forget which now) I rode the King Cobra like 20 times in a row.

There was no line and we could get off and get back on. (It was a weekday)

Anyway, about an hour later we heard a loud noise, and go over to see that the Cobra was stuck in the helix. We later found out that one of the wheels came off and it ground into the helix to stop.

No one was seriously injured, though. But it made me think twice about the King Cobra, even though I *LOVE* that ride and miss it.

Not really a *scary* moment for me, more of a *shiver* moment:

One summer (forget which now) I rode the King Cobra like 20 times in a row.

There was no line and we could get off and get back on. (It was a weekday)

Anyway, about an hour later we heard a loud noise, and go over to see that the Cobra was stuck in the helix. We later found out that one of the wheels came off and it ground into the helix to stop.

No one was seriously injured, though. But it made me think twice about the King Cobra, even though I *LOVE* that ride and miss it.

i dont believe you