Inverted-coaster and Launched coaster phobia

stashua123

Yes - blacking out can be a VERY serious thing. There are many reasons this can happen - some being deadly. Consult your doctor, but be sure to explain that you enjoy coasters but are afraid of the problems some of them cause.

I, fortunately, have never had this experience. Matter of fact, when we took the 8th graders to CP at the end of the school year, I graded finals while on the Cedar Creek Mine Ride. I think the atrocities committed on the essays kept my brain from graying-out!

• Like 1

An important distinction:

Blacking out is the body physically being rendered useless - passing out. This is, of course, dangerous and should not be happening - losing control of one's body and literally going unconscious during a ride is bad. If you have indeed blacked out (again, this is losing consciousness) you would likely wake up exhausted and disoriented, unsure what just happened.

Graying out is a not-uncommon feeling when blood is pulled from the head by centripetal force, common in tight helices (example, the beginning of Backlot Stunt Coaster or Intimidator 305, and on many "double loop" configurations where the body is subjected to odd rhythms of having blood pulled to the extremities). It is dizzying and disorienting, but not anywhere near as serious for most people. Graying out is just a sensation of seeing stars during a particularly forceful moment and for a few seconds afterwards. If you've simply "grayed out" on Flight of Fear or Invertigo (which would not be incredibly uncommon given the rapid acceleration and the rapid altitude changes on both), you have little reason to worry.

One way to avoid either is to just breathe steadily. Don't scream at the top of your lungs - you'll exhaust yourself, reduce the oxygen circulating in your body, and aggravate people all in one fell swoop. Most importantly, drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep the night before you visit.

Again, if you truly mean that you blacked out and went entirely unconscious, unaware of your surroundings, you need to speak to a doctor. If you grayed out and saw stars and felt like you couldn't see for a few seconds, that is much more normal.

• Like 2