Biggest missed opportunities in the park’s 50+ year history?

SonofBaconator

Mine certainly isn’t the “biggest” but it was low hanging fruit: not overhauling Action Zone around Banshee’s debut. When Invertigo was repainted in 2012 they could’ve called it Screamin Demon to set the overhaul in motion. They also could’ve repainted Drop Tower to reflect the eerie feel they were trying to accomplish with Banshee/The Bat. 

Like I said, it’s not the biggest missed opportunity but it was a missed opportunity nonetheless.

• Like 2

Orion is a great ride, and I am happy that we have it. It is probably (at least) top 50 coaster in the world...but we deserved a top 15 or top 10. 

The theming of it was also certainly a missed opportunity. The final storyline that we ended up with was not at strong as the earlier proposals. 

• Like 2

While I understand there was a certain budget for the 50th anniversary celebration knowing the world we live in, I will say I really wish the 50th anniversary parade was bigger like CP's 150 parade. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the floats' colors. I think just blue and gold with maybe some white in there would've been better. Also instead of stacks of presents, I would've probably done a big golden Eiffel Tower on one of the floats.

I honestly would've liked the 50th celebration better if it was more like Grand Carnivale. Like the King and Queen of Carnivale could be the "Golden King and Queen of KI" or something along those lines.

Also I think the bandstand show could've been better. While I liked the creativity of "Club KI", I think something more along the lines of the "Celebrate 150 Spectacular" show at CP would've been better. Also I wish they would've used the LED ribbon boards on the stage truss and maybe an LED lit up 50th anniversary logo (like CP 150 had on the celebration plaza stage).

Finally while Fun, Fireworks, and 50 was nearly perfect and is the best fireworks show KI has ever done imo, I think what would've made it perfect is if they had a Nickelodeon segment during the part where they did the Brady Bunch, Hanna Barbera, and Peanuts references. Like with the drones they could've made the Nick logo and played "Kickin it all over town" from the old Nick parade back in the day during the segment. Now I understand that it would've been expensive to do given licensing and all that, but honestly I feel like when they jumped from Hanna Barbera straight to Peanuts it really felt like something was missing and I would've loved to have seen a Nickelodeon segment thrown in there. Other than that FF&50 was a perfect show. 

Lastly outside of the 50th anniversary year, I think it was a huge missed opportunity this past season to not do a Brady Bunch 50th anniversary reunion for the 50th anniversary of the Cincinnati Kids special being aired. 

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

While I understand there was a certain budget for the 50th anniversary celebration knowing the world we live in, I will say I really wish the 50th anniversary parade was bigger like CP's 150 parade. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the floats' colors. I think just blue and gold with maybe some white in there would've been better. Also instead of stacks of presents, I would've probably done a big golden Eiffel Tower on one of the floats.

I honestly would've liked the 50th celebration better if it was more like Grand Carnivale. Like the King and Queen of Carnivale could be the "Golden King and Queen of KI" or something along those lines.

Also I think the bandstand show could've been better. While I liked the creativity of "Club KI", I think something more along the lines of the "Celebrate 150 Spectacular" show at CP would've been better. Also I wish they would've used the LED ribbon boards on the stage truss and maybe an LED lit up 50th anniversary logo (like CP 150 had on the celebration plaza stage).

Finally while Fun, Fireworks, and 50 was nearly perfect and is the best fireworks show KI has ever done imo, I think what would've made it perfect is if they had a Nickelodeon segment during the part where they did the Brady Bunch, Hanna Barbera, and Peanuts references. Like with the drones they could've made the Nick logo and played "Kickin it all over town" from the old Nick parade back in the day during the segment. Now I understand that it would've been expensive to do given licensing and all that, but honestly I feel like when they jumped from Hanna Barbera straight to Peanuts it really felt like something was missing and I would've loved to have seen a Nickelodeon segment thrown in there. Other than that FF&50 was a perfect show. 

Lastly outside of the 50th anniversary year, I think it was a huge missed opportunity this past season to not do a Brady Bunch 50th anniversary reunion for the 50th anniversary of the Cincinnati Kids special being aired. 

The logo that was used for the 50th was probably the biggest missed opportunity of all. It would have cost them nothing extra to use the vintage logo, and it would have gone a long ways towards restoring Kings Island's unique identity. 

A lot of my missed opportunities are thematic:

Why wasn’t Woodstock Express painted yellow in the first place?- it would’ve had a double meaning as Woodstock himself is yellow and that was the coaster’s original scheme when it was Scooby Doo.

Why wasn’t BLSC rebranded to Greater Cincinnati? When ownership changed hands, it would’ve been cool to see Cincinnati type billboards instead of having it themed to Hollywood- even the license plates on the train still say “California.”

Why were the dinosaurs in Dinosaurs Alive all gray? I understand this was a product of Dinosaurs Unearthed but I feel like having all the dinosaurs be close to the same color probably got boring for kids after a while. I understand accuracy is an element to education but we have no clue what exact colors dinosaurs were… they could’ve gotten creative with some of them- the Columbus Zoo was able to do it:

IMG_7391.jpeg

https://www.columbuszoo.org/blog/dinosaur-island-returns-extinction

• Like 1

I never even considered that they could have renamed Face Off to Screamin' Demon. That is a great idea.

I think not installing the Spongebob themed water coaster was a missed opportunity. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

I never even considered that they could have renamed Face Off to Screamin' Demon. That is a great idea.

I think not installing the Spongebob themed water coaster was a missed opportunity. 

That, or they could have renamed Drop Zone to Demon Drop. I get that's more so a nod to Cedar Point, but it's still better than what we have currently with Drop Tower.

• Like 1

Missed opportunities.... mismatched theming. 

Action Zone: Bat, Banshee... Is there a theme developing??? then Inverigo, Delerium: maybe a motion sickness theme.  Oh, wait- Congo Falls?  

Rivertown: rustic 19th century theme. Mystic Timbers, meanwhile, themed to an abandoned 1980's lumber company that apparently has a Y2K camera/surveillance system. To be fair... TR:TR was one of the best themed attractions to ever be on property... and it's didn't exactly match the Losantiville Train Station next door.

Just to name a few. 

• 2 months later...