Our beloved media celebrity

I rescanned my TV antenna this week and now have WAVE TV from Louisville. Guess who now is doing the Don't Waste Your Money  in Louisville?  That's right, John Mattress! It was the same segment that aired in the Cincinnati market!

It's like Dolly said in Steel Magnolias "He's a chain!" Except she was speaking in first person. 

I know @Hawaiian Coasters 325would want to know! :)

I apologize about the unintentional italicized text after the segment title. My mobile version would not allow me to change back the font.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Lol.  His segments have been going out to affiliates for years now.

Well how am I supposed to know THAT when I'm not in that MSA?  Weird to me that other markets would just fill time with something that's totally out of their market.

Lol.  I became aware of it years ago when I was in Florida and saw a segment with him on it and it kinda took the fun out of the local-ness of it.  I had to look up to see where was he really broadcasting from lol.

So i used to work in local TV (not here but in this state and New York) for few different NBC stations.  

So in a nutshell, you as a reporter might put together a story (think video and script) and if you think its newsworthy for other parts of the country, then you can upload it to one of two different national services.  1 being the NBC site (CBS and ABC have similar, not sure on fox) where any other station that pays to be an NBC affiliate could use it.  The other one is your tv group in which your station is owned.  So when I lived in Elmira NY my tv Station was owned by Newport News (who owned Local 12).  So if you upload to that then any station that’s owned by the same group can use the story (no matter if they are ABC or NBC).  This is why so many smaller stations can be clipped to show they have the same news story.  

what John runs is a tv package and they can be uploaded in the same way.  In some special cases (not with the don’t waste your money) the individual reporter may own the rights and can sell it to as many different markets as they want to.