Best rides at pki

vortexdemon05

first experience riding The Beast... 1998 at night and in the fog.... in October. AWESOME experience. Would have to go down as the best night-time coaster.

Since the've done away with the over the shoulder restraints (went 5 years without riding because of intense migraines) and now have lap bars..... FoF ranks in HIGHLY!

1. The Beast: At night, this is simply the best ride ever put on the face of the earth. It's the last truly unique roller coaster ride.

2. Tomb Raider: I've ridden this quite a bit, but it never gets predictable. Hanging over the lava for that long amount of time and then that looooonnnnngggg flip back is one of the few scary ride experiences.

3. Flight of Fear: When it first opened with the shoulder harnesses, it was the most painful ride at the park. Since going to a lapbar, it is so extremely thrilling. Fast, furious and disorienting.

4. Delerium It's just so much fun. Feels like you're flying when you hit the top.

5. Vortex: It's not really all to unique to go upside down 6 times (the Raptor does it and is actually a much more thrilling ride). But The Vortex just feels like a good, old-fashioned bad-a$$ roller coaster. That drop at the beginning is so steep and you have to love the weightlessness on the barrel rolls. Still, it hurts my head.

What abouot the classic Carousel or train? While not high on the thrill-o-meter, they are classic rides that PKI still has, and will hopefully have for the next 30 years, at least. My favorite ride is The Beast, but I equally enjoy the Carousel, with all of its history and the great classic ride that it is. Evey park should have a Carousel as grand as the one at Kings Island, which is one of the few that feature a working band organ (1919), that predates the Carousel (1926) by seven years.

WOW that carousel is from 1919.

is that carousel one of the rides they took from old Coney Island ?

I remember riding the shooting star when I was 5, my rear was 4 inches off the seat going down the first hill and my sister was trying to pry my hands from the bar on the way down, but the death grip held.

• 2 months later...

i have to say millennium force is the best coaster around but The Beast will always be my favorite, no matter what. when Cedar Point builds the 500 footer, i will still have more passion for The Beast. i have been riding beast since it first opened and can't seem to shake it off. all i can figure is that The Beast was sent down from the gods for us to enjoy.

• 6 years later...
Guest rcfreak339

I love old bumps...i find them interesting and this topic is so!

Look at how many members selected Tomb Raider: The Ride (now Crypt) as their favorite ride in the entire park....my how times can change, and fast.

• Like 1

And worth noting: this topic was in 2005, Tomb Raider's fourth season. So much for all those people who say it was a great ride, but ride it once and you've ridden it a hundred times!

And yeah, it's truly odd that a ride that was so highly regarded (and brand new less than a decade ago) can be in such a state of disrepair. I imagine no one would've seen it coming. At least, not to the extent that it has come.

Wow, during the Paramount Years, it does indeed seem Tomb Raider and Son of Beast were huge, signature attractions at Kings Island and had considerable fanbases to show for it...It would seem Son of Beast's rep, prior to the loop's removal, was actually not terrible, and then came the '06 accident and 80-90% of the "Son of Beast ROCKS!" comments became "Son of Beast SUCKS!". And, TR:TR was also sounds like it was amazing...then it became The Crypt, which at first wasn't that bad since it did 8+ flips but...we know how the ride is today.

2 rides that, under Paramount, were the star attractions at the park...Paramount sells Kings Island. Cedar Fair gets KI. Son of Beast has accident, closes, loop is removed, re-opens without loop for a while, then closes again possibly for good. Tomb Raider becomes Crypt, intense ride cycle wears itself out, and then becomes "Lame" Crypt. Wow. While I'm pretty sure these rides had their problems during the Paramount years, Paramount did a good job of "hiding" the problems...Cedar Fair, kind of stinks at hiding problems...

Well, this was just rambling but I felt the need to ramble. To make up for this, here's a video CoasterImage.com put on Youtube of Kings Island...Paramount's Kings Island, 2005. Kinda shocking to think this was just 7 years ago...

^ But, Cedar Fair has brought us Firehawk and Diamondback (well and WindSeeker if we want to throw that into the mix). Diamondback is definitely a signature attraction, and will be for years to come. Firehawk, well it could be argued either way. WindSeeker may not be a signature attraction, but it is definitely a spectacle to see, especially at night.

^ True- and with the fall of TR:TR and SOB, Diamondback, Firehawk, and WindSeeker were more than welcome additions. Imagine if Cedar Fair had not added any of those 3 rides to the park today, and The Crypt and Son of Beast still had their "downfalls". Yikes! Kings Island's lineup doesn't look so good all of a sudden...

On the other hand, imagine if Son of Beast never had it's 2006 accident and actually "behaved" well- was not ultra-rough, was reliable, etc. and still had its loop and somehow Cedar Fair managed to keep TR:TR in its "good" form. Suddenly, Kings Island's lineup has at least 5 "world-class" and record-breaking attractions: Beast, SOB, Diamondback, Drop Tower, & The Crypt. (As well as all the other rides, even if they would be "under-rated" against such competition)

Oh well, we can dream...

It looked like this was dead 7 years ago! Cedar Fair really has changed the park. It would be nice if SOB stayed good, TR:TR stayed itself and kept its "good" form, and all the added additions here as well. We can always hope something good, don't know what cause The Cryptis in its in the "bad' form, and if they fixed SOB some how. What I wish they would dowith SOB is, keep the first part of the ride. Then, just take out the giant double-helix, that part is the most painful, at least to me.In the place of the double helix, have a turn or drop or something that would bing it back to the rest of the track, then keep the end of the ride. thats what I think they should do, but I doubt it will happen.