SOB closed for the season?

SkootersFan

eh- but they're fun to read.

about SOB... honestly, and it would take a smarter chimp than i to figure this, but is it really the track?  even on the lead out from the station you can feel the bumpiness coming.  there can't be that much of a speed difference on the helix parts compared to The Beast and it's not as bad.  could it be that the suspension on the trains is so tight that makes it seem harsh?

I love the imposing figure that SOB is upon entering the park.  i took some friends from CA to the park this summer and when they saw the mass of lumber shooting 200'+ into the sky they were in awe.

i wish that when they designed it, they used more of the terrain.  thats one of the elements that makes The Beast so memorable... going back through the woods, tunnels literally in the ground. 

i hope though they do get the kinks worked out and it doesn't follow the unfortunate path of other maintenance plagued coasters.... Bat, Cobra, etc...  it's a great addition to the PKI skyline.

Those trains do more harm than good, you can feel that same bumpiness when the trains leave the station on The Beast and when they run through the brake shed, just be glad those Premeir trains are holding you in so tightly. No they cant use FOF's trains as those are for a smaller gauge of track, once again the problem with SOB is the track not the trains, if the track was fine and the trains were the big problem something wouldve been done and thousands of dollars spent on re-tracking wouldnt have had to be done. Think about it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been on this for a while, but I cannot believe that anyone has not figured out how to ride SOB w/out pain. I've posted it many times, but apparently no takers. SOB beat the daylaights out of me, to the point that only the front seat/car was enjoyable. Now I can ride any seat or car and enjoy the ride. It is a shame that we have to resort to such tactics, but it works, and you are able to enjoy the ride.

Rick

No campground, no season pass for 2006. I'm not supporting the organization...

No campground, no season pass for 2006. I'm not supporting the organization...

You do realize that there is more to PKI then just the campground, right? AND if you must have a campground, there is one just 10 min from the park called Morgan's Campground and Canoe Rentals. Why are people like this b/c there is not campground and why are they too lazy or too stubborn to find another campground? Makes no sense to me!! thumbsdownsmileyanim.gifthumbsdownsmileyanim.gifthumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Well I am not renewing my pass because Guest Relations will not answer my questions about the nuddist colony and how PKI does not support my desire to camp naked at the park. Therefore I will use some of the idiotic logic that some members of this site have and not support PKI because they do not support my naked camping desires.....

Honestly people if this is the true logic you have and your entire reasson for not going to PKI next year than you are a complete idiot and I hope you are not of voting age, because we do not need morons like you helping elect the leaders of this country. Only good thing about you idiots is that next year I will not have to wait in line with you. Thank god.

about SOB... honestly, and it would take a smarter chimp than i to figure this, but is it really the track?  even on the lead out from the station you can feel the bumpiness coming.  there can't be that much of a speed difference on the helix parts compared to The Beast and it's not as bad.  could it be that the suspension on the trains is so tight that makes it seem harsh?

I love the imposing figure that SOB is upon entering the park.  i took some friends from CA to the park this summer and when they saw the mass of lumber shooting 200'+ into the sky they were in awe.

i wish that when they designed it, they used more of the terrain.  thats one of the elements that makes The Beast so memorable... going back through the woods, tunnels literally in the ground. 

i hope though they do get the kinks worked out and it doesn't follow the unfortunate path of other maintenance plagued coasters.... Bat, Cobra, etc...  it's a great addition to the PKI skyline.

Those trains do more harm than good, you can feel that same bumpiness when the trains leave the station on The Beast and when they run through the brake shed, just be glad those Premeir trains are holding you in so tightly. No they cant use FOF's trains as those are for a smaller gauge of track, once again the problem with SOB is the track not the trains, if the track was fine and the trains were the big problem something wouldve been done and thousands of dollars spent on re-tracking wouldnt have had to be done. Think about it.

What are you guys talking about, Its that we're trying to make a normal wood coaster go 80mph. If you tried to make the first hill on any of our other wood coasters 218 and have the coaster go 80 it would be just as bad. And what do people mean by suspension. There are no shocks, no struts, no rubber tires on these trains or any other trains. BTW heads up, fof runs on tubular steel rails with nylon/polyurethane wheels. Oh and cobra didnt have problems, it was just old and togo was no longer in business. Plus they needed to spice up AZ some so they took it out. I never had a ride on Cobra that I didnt absoultely love. RIP Cobra, Maybe I'll find love in Skyrider because everyone knows that we're not gonna finde it in Shockwave.

You guys are stupid and EVERYONE needs to get a life i mean 7 pages about SOB down for the season! What the hell man u people kill me

Yet, you just added your 2 cents in like everyone else, making this post become even longer....if you don't like it, no one said you had to read it.

• 4 weeks later...

What are you guys talking about, Its that we're trying to make a normal wood coaster go 80mph. If you tried to make the first hill on any of our other wood coasters 218 and have the coaster go 80 it would be just as bad. And what do people mean by suspension. There are no shocks, no struts, no rubber tires on these trains or any other trains. BTW heads up, fof runs on tubular steel rails with nylon/polyurethane wheels. Oh and cobra didnt have problems, it was just old and togo was no longer in business. Plus they needed to spice up AZ some so they took it out. I never had a ride on Cobra that I didnt absoultely love. RIP Cobra, Maybe I'll find love in Skyrider because everyone knows that we're not gonna finde it in Shockwave.

Thats not necesarily true I love how you assume any high speed wooden coaster would be bumpy, yet you dont know that, SOB is just due to its design, not the trains. And, if you read correctly, you wouldve seen that I didnt say FOF trains could run on SOB.

• 4 weeks later...

can anyone who "works at the park" independently verify this? A person I was speaking with recently said that they were reading in the Cincinnati Business Courier (I didn't read or see, the person I was talking with did) which reported that one of the lawsuits filed against the designer of SOB settled. As a result PKI was hiring a construction firm to re-track over 60% of the coaster beginning in February and that it would not re-open until early summer.

has anyone else heard this or can verify?

I cannot verify this. However, I did a quick search over on the Business Courier website, and found no results matching the article you describe within the last year. It could be happening, but I have no way to confirm or deny what you have heard. I do remember hearing a while back (at least I thought I remember hearing something about it) that Kings Island had settled the lawsuit, but did not hear any details of the settlement. 60% of the entire ride? Well, they claimed they shut it down early so they could start the retracking program early because they would have less time to work on the ride due to WinterFest. So, I`m thinking that this is likely not true, but I have heard stranger things that turn out to be true.