Old KI Photos

Guest TombraiderTy

Those pictures are like a punch in the gut. Especially the Smurf Ride ones. God I loved that ride.

These just make you cry for how much they cared about the landscaping and making the park beautiful.

Anyone remember that old Scooby Doo fun house that looked like a house of cards? I haven't looked through all of these pictures yet (site is slow), but I haven't come across that fun house yet.

It is nice to see how much Taft really wanted to impress when the park first opened. The details were to meet and lead in the theme park industry. The layout of International Street to have the shops and most were working shops that showed how things were made.

I did like to see how the greenbelt around the fountain went from in front of the buildings with separate sidewalks to the modern greenbelt around the fountain. I wonder when the pavers that got rid of the sidewalks in front of the shops.

I hope that CF will bring more entertainment back to the parks. When you look back there used to be hours of entertainment every day at the parks. Now it seems to push about 5 hours total if you went to every show. That was nice for the parents and grandparents to get out of the heat.

Maybe we can have a restaurant in the international restaurant again. Maybe a TGIF or similar restaurant since CF has them in there park.

I would just like to see the focus back on a theme park and not try to compete with them and build these huge roller coasters that are beginning to cause the paving of the parks. If you look at the photos of The Bat the lawn was beautiful and mowed. Now The Vortex has weeds and tall grass in many areas. Bring back the landscaping and branding.

Companies want to be in the parks. They would pay to advertise in the guides and have there logos seen by millions every year. Not only to the companies offer there products to the public and pay rent/fees to the parks they help pay the bottom line.

I am sure that Taft loved to have a company like Sherwin Williams pay and donate the paint to cover the Eifel tower. And why not. Sherwin Williams used it in there own marketing.

How long did Chevy pay to have there displays in the park. I can remember for the longest time seeing the corvette on my way to Oktoberfest every time I went to the parks. PKI did promote with JEEP with the tomb raider branding but not much has been seen since.

Some may say it causes too much commercialization of the parks. But the parks are a captive audience. In the beginning many of the sponsors were locally based products. Now that Gillette is owned by P&G they have branding on top gun. They could go further with branding Vortex the fusion since it is purple and orange. I really had a problem that paramount who is a large multimedia company killed entertainment at the parks. They couldn't even keep up with there own themeing of rides since Top Gun lost all of its queue themeing with the construction of SOB and The 3D theater lost everything once they got rid of the days of thunder show.

Lets hope that CF brings some energy back to the parks. They now have much more barganing power with any company and can bid out multi year projects/contracts and have more national companys vie for business.

sorry to rant, but seeing the old park makes me think of things that once were. and after working in the industry i know that the only way to keep business is to stay on top and not let your guard down. I know six flags sure has let lots slip and it shows more and more every time I go to a park.

Well, I can tell you one thing NOT cool about that site.  He lifted about five images off of my website without my permission or without giving credit to my website!  Not cool at all!

whoa there ... Many images are sent to me and I don't necessarily know where they come from. Just contact me via email and I'll remove and/or credit you, whatever you wish. I'm not trying to rip anybody off, just putting together a collection. The speed is slow because this is just my personal little server, the site isn't hosted anywhere with major bandwidth.

I hope that CF will bring more entertainment back to the parks.

Have you seen the "entertainment" at CP? Currently Kings Island is schooling Cedar Point in live shows.

Yeah, that's like saying Tiger Woods is schooling Michael Jordan at golf. I think what he meant was that in KI's hayday the entertainment was close to on par with the likes of Disney or other major theme parks.

I hope that CF will bring more entertainment back to the parks.

Have you seen the "entertainment" at CP? Currently Kings Island is schooling Cedar Point in live shows.

Yeah, that's like saying Tiger Woods is schooling Michael Jordan at golf. I think what he meant was that in KI's hayday the entertainment was close to on par with the likes of Disney or other major theme parks.

I actually think that in KI's heydey of entertainment that the entertainment was better than Disney. Disney is all lip synch in the park. All they need to be able to do is dance and act.

• 2 weeks later...