Will This Be Seen Again?

Screwball

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dee jays under contract can either bring their own license or use the park's performance license. I have seen both arrangements used.

Obviously, arrangements are also made for the shows and entertainment in the park, along with the background music.

Some years ago, a park in West Virginia played background music without a license to do so. ASCAP and/or BMI came in, and there was a rather large settlement made.

Odd... you'd think that it would fall under the same rules as radio. I wouldn't think you'd need a license to just play the music.

Commercial venues also need a license to just play music from the radio, too. Most small businesses NEVER believe this, until the friendly (!) local travelling ASCAP/BMI rep apprehends them...

Odd... you'd think that it would fall under the same rules as radio. I wouldn't think you'd need a license to just play the music.

Commercial venues also need a license to just play music from the radio, too. Most small businesses NEVER believe this, until the friendly (!) local travelling ASCAP/BMI rep apprehends them...

So what you are saying is that if I have a small retail business, that I can't play our local radio station in my store without obtaining permission or permit from ASCAP/BMI. Well, if that is the case, then I think I will just take my chances. THOUSANDS of business do it everyday. Are the going to arrest EVERY SINGLE one of us. Doubtful.

This link tells you all that you need to know regarding playing music in an establishment

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/generalfaq.html

If a restaurant is under a certain amount of space than typical radio broadcasts, or TV broadcasts are permitted without a license, as the website states. Interpreter is mostly right. The only exception to this rule is if the area doesnt use typical radio speakers and things of that nature:

Permission for radio and television transmissions in your business is not needed if the performance is by means of public communication of TV or radio transmissions by eating, drinking, retail or certain other establishments of a certain size which use a limited number of speakers or TVs, and if the reception is not further transmitted (for example, from one room to another) from the place in which it is received

Here is the recent amendment to the law:

The amendment law applies only to performances by means of radio-over-speakers or televisions, only if no direct charge is made to see or hear the performances, only if the performances are not further transmitted beyond the establishment where they are received, and only if the original transmission is licensed by the copyright owners -- that is, the radio or television station, cable system or satellite carrier is licensed by the copyright owners or their performing rights organizations.

As you can see, as long as KI doesnt turn around and broadcast the music to Great Wolf lodge or Showcase cinemas they are fine to play the radio!

Things get a tad more complex but this is the gist, more info is found on the link that I provided!

Hope that I cleared things up for you all!

Cory Butcher

Speaking of the things in the AZ, I wonder if Cedar Fair will ever get us a new Action Zone sign.

I always wondered, Coney Mall, Action Zone, Boomerang Bay, Nickelodean Universe, Hanna Barbbera land, Nick Central, Nickelodean Splat City and Oktoberfest all have had signs denoting that area of the park, yet as far as I know Rivertown has never had an actual sign or anything to really signify its presents. (other than say, rivertown station) (Also I am unsure as to whether sections like adventure village, animal habitat, etc had signs.) I always wondered why. I guess there is no good place for a sign.

ASCAP and BMI are just plain rip off artists. When I had my establishment, they wanted to charge me for the total square footage of the building (firecode was 310). Neither ASCAP or BMI requires a DJ to have a license, because they are considered "mobile", so each organization charges the establishment. But the kicker is, the music was already paid for by the DJ or the service that provides the jukebox, so the artist was paid per his/ her agreement with the record label. And on top of that, just like I told both BMI & ASCAP, when the customers hear the artists in my establishment, it's just like free advertising. If people like the music, chances are they will go out and buy it.

Then both ASCAP and BMI wanted to charge me per TV (I had 24 TVs) that I had because "Our artists have music played during commercials." I was rather upset when they told me this as well, only because it was their artist that made money from the company they are advertising for, and I also have to pay for the cable/ satellite service rights that I am broadcasting.

It is really just a classic case of double dipping.

This will show that I have been going to KI before the Brady's, but I can remember music as well as DJs in The Beast queue. "Back in the day", part of the experience was the line/waiting. Of course, through the eyes of a teenager, listening to rock with your friends, was fun in and of itself. Having been to more amusement parks than I can probably remember, around the country, those "waits" at KI years ago are still memorable. My kids enjoy music in the queue lines, but it feels more like staged entertainment vs. "the moment" to me. Of course, spending a day in an amusement park is a great day to begin with.

But now a days all you see if clips of Forrset Gump and other classic movies. My favorite is the little Beast fact video they show on the Chili-Vision TV's. I have been looking for that forever and i even E-Mailed Maureen and she told me that they did not have the video for sale. DANG!

Although at first they might have been used for advertisement, I watch them now and see them being used mostly for entertainment. However they do plug in some type of advertisement here and there. But the possibilities for things they could show are just amazing to think about. Look how popular The Beast video was for the most part. Coaster enthusiasts and non-regulars to the park enjoyed watching it. Obviously you can't have that type of video for every ride(face-off, drop-zone, etc.), but for rides that have a little bit of history behind them like Racer, Vortex, even Son of Beast. Just having a little video that had facts about the ride and a little history behind it would be cool to watch.

Guest kwindshawne
I also found that video disturbing. And rather annoying when I waited in line.

I really liked it-my favorite was the one waiting for The Beast-you know, the ones that had tin foil on their heads!! :P

Speaking of the things in the AZ, I wonder if Cedar Fair will ever get us a new Action Zone sign.

I always wondered, Coney Mall, Action Zone, Boomerang Bay, Nickelodean Universe, Hanna Barbbera land, Nick Central, Nickelodean Splat City and Oktoberfest all have had signs denoting that area of the park, yet as far as I know Rivertown has never had an actual sign or anything to really signify its presents. (other than say, rivertown station) (Also I am unsure as to whether sections like adventure village, animal habitat, etc had signs.) I always wondered why. I guess there is no good place for a sign.

canonpksept52006102gr8.th.jpg